• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to pronounce the names?

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
Years
  • Watching the anime is what I do if I have no clue how to pronounce a name. But they pronounce Regice's name in 2 different ways in the anime. Theres Reg-ice (2 syllables) and Re-gi-ice (3 syllables). I'm not sure which one is right so I call it Re-gi-ice since all of the other Regi names state the type in it.

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
  • Watching the anime is what I do if I have no clue how to pronounce a name. But they pronounce Regice's name in 2 different ways in the anime. Theres Reg-ice (2 syllables) and Re-gi-ice (3 syllables). I'm not sure which one is right so I call it Re-gi-ice since all of the other Regi names state the type in it.

Phonectically, there's one 1 I present in the name.
    The anime is also a bad source for pronounciations, since many errors occur.

There is no right or wrong. Ever.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I don't know if Giratina is pronounced Gir-AH-tina or Gir-a-TEEN-a. I have no clue how to pronounce Weavile, so I say it WEE-vill. I used to pronounce Staravia as Starvaria (with all those A's, I get confused)

I say gear-uh-tee-nuh

Staravia star-ay-vee-uh

I really like how accents can end up giving different pronounciations of words, I find it funny

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I used to say Ray-Qua-Za, where the heck did the "quay" sound come in?!

Years
  • I do Not care about pronouciation it really dose not borther me i like them the way i say it thats its

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is why I prefer their Japanese names — it's such an easy language in that area.

I've been told 4Kids or whoever decides this stuff made the Pokemon names something more Englishy to make pronunciation easier for youngsters, but the result is far from that in reality.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    In the next gens pokedex there should be a phonetic name next to their writen name. Just to stop this mispronunciation happening any more.

Agree

some things i can think of at the moment that i get wrong is, ray-quar-za which according to the anime is Ray-quay-za, i don't have a clue with bonsly, as the anime cant even decide. And before i couldnt pronounce pachirisu and i used to call dialga die-ag-la.

i pronounce bonsly as bon-slee... but i think many pronounce it as bon-sly so i dun know which is correct, bt i heard the anime pronounce it as bon-slee once, and also bon-sly...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I agree the anime isn't always right. Not only do they switch between pronounciations sometimes but also it's an "American" way of pronouncing them eg. if Porygon Z was in the anime it would defininatly be pronounced Porygon Zee, but that doesn't make it right, just one of the possible pronounciations eg in the UK people would say Porygon Zed, since that is the way we say the letter Z.

i pronounce bonsly as bon-slee... but i think many pronounce it as bon-sly so i dun know which is correct, bt i heard the anime pronounce it as bon-slee once, and also bon-sly...

Isn't Bonsly a type of tree though? I suppose bon-sly is how you pronounce the tree

Cosmic Tyrant

Ruler of the Cosmos
    Years
  • Isn't Bonsly a type of tree though? I suppose bon-sly is how you pronounce the tree

You're reffering to the Bonsai Tree, A small tree that many sculpt into various shapes with shears. I'm not too clear on the exact reason, I've heard many reasons, ranging fromn simple hobby to relaxing therapudic method.

Anyhoo, I do have my own ways of pronounciation.

"Venasaur" - Others pronounce it "Vee-No-Saur", I use "Ven-nah-saur"

"Suicune" I pronounce it "Soo-Eh-Kewne"

There's others, but that's all I can think of now.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • The official pronounciation for Pokemon is POE-keh-mon.

And in reference to my previous post, Bonsly is pronounced BOHN-sly since it is made up of the words Bonsai and Sly. Milotic is made up of the words Venus de Milo (famous sculpture in the french Louvre Museum) and exotic. Using those pronounciations, Milotic is pronounced my-LOE-tik.

And King Cosmic, you do realize that "Venasaur" is spelled as "Venusaur, making the pronounciations different. The origin of Venusaur comes from the Venus Fly Trap (a plant) and Dinosaur. Combining the pronounciations of the two words would add up to Venusaur being pronounced VEE-nuh-sore.

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
    Years
  • The dub always pronounces them weird. At first I thought Regice was Rej-ice, but once I saw the kana, I found out that it is pronounced Rej-ee-ice. Others are Staravia Star-ah-vee-uh, Bidoof Bih-doof, Rayquaza Ray-kwah-zuh. I still say Bidoof as Bih-doof, cause Bee-doof sounds more retarded that the Pokemon looks.

Mao

Feeling F R E S H
    Years
  • Normaly I call Rayquaza Ray - Qua- Za but in the Destiny Deoxys movie It's pronounced Ray - Quay -za

Back