• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to stop being a "Genwunner"

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    Just play the games without your nostalgia goggles on. Quit over analyzing the games and just have fun.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
    I think all you need to do is take a look at the newer generations of Pokemon- give them a chance. You'll undoubtedly find something you like about them, and realize that being a "Genwunner" (who came up with that term anyway, it sounds so silly) isn't necessary at all.

Then again, people are always open to their opinions, so that might not help someone at all. It's worth a try, if nothing else.

You can also look at things you disliked about Gen I/II. That'll help you come to terms with the fact that there will always be things you dislike, and nothing will change that. I mean, Johto is my favourite region, but I'll even acknowledge that the games it's in have their flaws.

LiquidForce

The Upper Downer
    Years
    The first generation I played(And my favorite) was Gen-3.
    I think the best region is Hoenn.
    I think the best stories are those of Kanto and Sinnoh.
    I think the best games are the Gen-6 ones, but that's because of the technology.
    I think the best legendaries are those of Hoenn.
    That's my opinion, and if someone thinks Gen-1 is the best that's okay.
    But is don't think it's good to say anything that's not Gen-1 is bad, like those ''Genwunners''.

Last edited:

SlayerGlaceon

DO THE GLACEON SAMBA
    Years
    I'm going to try not to rant here, as I'm sure many genwunners wearing heavy nostalgia goggles will try to flame and hate me and if the original post is triggering enough I'll be prosecuted by all fans alike.

Ahem...

Pokémon is not running out of ideas.
    Pokémon is not getting worse.
    Pokémon has not gotten worse.
    Pokémon is still going strong. It will keep going until Game Freak really does run out of ideas.
    If they'd run out of ideas, Gen 1 or maybe Gen 2 would be the only generations, then a remake or two.

Genwunners, even though there are some bad designs (I personally don't like Druddigon), don't hold it against the games. Lots of Genwunners say that the gens after Gen 2 (or even Gen 2 itself) were some of the worst games.
    Hold up. Gen 3 and on brought many Pokémon, some good, some mediocre.

In Gen 3, Pokémon such as the ever-popular Flygon, the epic waifu Gardevoir, the also popular Absol and the menacing Rayquaza made the scene. Gen 4 brought along Lucario, Gallade, Garchomp, the legendary dragon trio with the popular Giratina, and the literal god of the Pokémon world. Gen 5, love it or hate it, brought along Braviary, the most American thing to grace this earth, Chandelure, although object 'mons are controversial, Hydreigon, Zoroark and Haxorus. Gen 6 brought in many fabulous new Pokémon. In fact, Game Freak designed some of my faves in this gen. Goomy and Goodra, the terrifying Espurr, Hawlucha, Talonflame, Noivern, Aegislash, Yveltal, Greninja, Tyrantrum... And Eevee's new evolutions from gens 4 and 6 make it clear that without these gens Pokémon wouldn't be the same.

Love them or hate them, each gen brought in new pieces to the fandom. Blocking yourself out from the new gens is like watching the first hour of a movie and never seeing the epic finale.
    You're shutting yourself out from one of the best communities online.

Genwunners, pick up a copy of X or Y and move over your Game Boy for a 3DS. Take off your nostalgia goggles and immerse yourself in the game. Enjoy the story, catch Pokémon you ignored from the start, enjoy the new and keep enjoying the old. And, you can pick your Gen 1 starter again early on in addition to your starter. Game Freak wanted you to take the goggles off and play.

Who knows? Maybe you'll enjoy these games if you go through them unbiased. If you don't, don't judge others for what they like. Step out from the rock you've lived under and take in the great new games. There's a whole new world to explore!

...Now, are you a boy, or a girl?

Years
    I'm going to try not to rant here, as I'm sure many genwunners wearing heavy nostalgia goggles will try to flame and hate me and if the original post is triggering enough I'll be prosecuted by all fans alike.

Ahem...

Pokémon is not running out of ideas.
    Pokémon is not getting worse.
    Pokémon has not gotten worse.
    Pokémon is still going strong. It will keep going until Game Freak really does run out of ideas.
    If they'd run out of ideas, Gen 1 or maybe Gen 2 would be the only generations, then a remake or two.

Genwunners, even though there are some bad designs (I personally don't like Druddigon), don't hold it against the games. Lots of Genwunners say that the gens after Gen 2 (or even Gen 2 itself) were some of the worst games.
    Hold up. Gen 3 and on brought many Pokémon, some good, some mediocre.

In Gen 3, Pokémon such as the ever-popular Flygon, the epic waifu Gardevoir, the also popular Absol and the menacing Rayquaza made the scene. Gen 4 brought along Lucario, Gallade, Garchomp, the legendary dragon trio with the popular Giratina, and the literal god of the Pokémon world. Gen 5, love it or hate it, brought along Braviary, the most American thing to grace this earth, Chandelure, although object 'mons are controversial, Hydreigon, Zoroark and Haxorus. Gen 6 brought in many fabulous new Pokémon. In fact, Game Freak designed some of my faves in this gen. Goomy and Goodra, the terrifying Espurr, Hawlucha, Talonflame, Noivern, Aegislash, Yveltal, Greninja, Tyrantrum... And Eevee's new evolutions from gens 4 and 6 make it clear that without these gens Pokémon wouldn't be the same.

Love them or hate them, each gen brought in new pieces to the fandom. Blocking yourself out from the new gens is like watching the first hour of a movie and never seeing the epic finale.
    You're shutting yourself out from one of the best communities online.

Genwunners, pick up a copy of X or Y and move over your Game Boy for a 3DS. Take off your nostalgia goggles and immerse yourself in the game. Enjoy the story, catch Pokémon you ignored from the start, enjoy the new and keep enjoying the old. And, you can pick your Gen 1 starter again early on in addition to your starter. Game Freak wanted you to take the goggles off and play.

Who knows? Maybe you'll enjoy these games if you go through them unbiased. If you don't, don't judge others for what they like. Step out from the rock you've lived under and take in the great new games. There's a whole new world to explore!

...Now, are you a boy, or a girl?
    This is actually a really well written post, so thanks for that! That being said, this thread hasn't been posted in for nearly a year and a half now, which is well beyond the general bump limit of 30 days here. As much as I hate to have to do it, I'll need to close the thread, so please be aware of how old a thread is in the future before you post in it!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back