• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HOW TO USE: PERISH TRAP

Days
    • Age 16
    • He-Him
    • Hoenn
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey there! I'm a new user, I am a VGC player, I occasionally play the TCG and enjoy playing casually as well. (Im also a big pokemon unite nerd LOL)

But anyways, Today i would like to discuss how to use my FAVORITE STRATEGY in competitive pokemon: Perish Trap. You might be wondering: Well im a total newbie and dont know anything, what is Perish Trap sableye? Well it revolves around the Move Perish Song which puts a timer on all pokemon starting at 3, falling to 2, falling to 1, and after that ALL pokemon that heard the song will faint.

Sounds broken right? Well not really. All you need to do to get rid of the timer is switch out. So Perish Song itself is a niche move only really used When you KO two of your opponents pokemon. But, this is where the ability Shadow Tag comes in. Shadow tag prevents the opposing pokemon from switching out, sounds simple right?

Well not really, there are TWO problems with Shadow Tag. One, ghost type pokemon are Immune to shadow tag and are still able to switch out, and two: Moves like U-turn, volt switch, Parting Shot, etc. Still switch you out, which unfortunatley means that you might only be able to kill ONE pokemon with perish trap.

But, somehow Perish Trap while being niche and unpopular, still has won 2 regionals (both by Wolfe Glick) and has made appearances in NAIC 2023 as more of a side mode then a main mode. You also might be wondering how do I win games when Perish Trap doesn't work, How do I decide the right Pokemon/Builds for Perish Trap, and how do i deal with perish trap counters.

Well my friend, I will be answering ALL those questions for you, as the Perish Trap enthusiast I am. First off lets start with the Main Perish Trap Core: Two perish song users (Usually one offensive one i.e Flutter Mane and one Defensive one i.e Politoed) A Shadow tag user, A fake out user (gothitelle works as a fake out user/Shadow tag user), An intimidate user, A sleep user, and 2 sweepers for when perish trap doesnt work. (All pokemon MUST be running protect as it is a nessecary move for Perish Trap teams)

Perish Trap Team for Regulation G in pokemon SV doubles format:

Politoed (The Bulky Perish Song User)
    Held Item: Leftovers (for self sustain)
    Moveset: Perish Song, Protect, Weather Ball, Helping Hand.
    Tera Type: Grass

Flutter Mane (The Offensive Perish Song User)
    Held Item: Focus Sash (To keep it alive for at least 1 turn)
    Moveset: Perish Song, Protect, Shadow Ball, Moonblast

Tera: Fairy
    Gothitelle (The Shadow Tag User/Fake out User)
    Held Item: Sitrus Berry (To heal a lot back up below half)
    Moveset: Fake Out, Protect, Psychic, Trick Room.

Tera: Water
    Incineroar (Oh god not the cat, The intimidate user)
    Held Item: Safety Goggles (So amoonguss wont make you take a nap)
    Moveset: Flare Blitz, Fake Out, Parting Shot, Will o wisp.
    Tera: Ghost

Amoonguss (The sleep user)
    Held Item: Mental Herb (To avoid taunts)
    Moveset: Pollen Puff, Spore, Protect, Rage Powder
    Tera: Dark

Calyrex Ice (The Trick Room Sweeper)
    Held Item: Clear Amulet: (To avoid Intimidate Drops)
    Moveset: Glacial Lance, High Horsepower, Protect, Trick Room
    Tera: Fire

Perish Trap Counters:
    1. Gholdengo: This cheese string man is IMMUNE to Perish Song and Shadow Tag
    2. All Switching out moves: Completely Ignores shadow tag.
    3. Calyrex Shadow: Can switch out because its a ghost type, Insane Offensive Pressure.
    4. Torkoal: Does a millionbajillion damage with tera fire sun boosted eruption in trick room

In conclusion while being a niche, gimmicky strategy. Perish Trap remains to be one of my favorite, and probably one of the most Fun and Satisfying strategies to pull off. I hope you all enjoyed this post and if you want to see more like this PLEASE leave feedback in the comments ^^ thank you!

BTW: thank you wolfe glick for the inspiration.

P.S. message me in comments for IV spreads on each mon.

Whoop 706 words

Feel free to add me on Pokemon Unite: Player71881
    Feel free to add me on Pokemon Showdown: SableyePog

Last edited:
    Days
    • Age 16
    • He-Him
    • Hoenn
    • Seen yesterday
    Also thank you Alex_Amongfoxes for the help with making my NAIC perish trap team, I hope I'm on stream B)

Back