• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to value a full set of 1999 cards

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    Hi all

Like many people I have a load of Pokemon cards, I collected back in the 90's I no longer use and I'm thinking about selling them.

If I'm honest I have no idea where to start with valuing them and trying to sell them. Should I sell them separately? In bulk? Are there any particular things I should be looking for?

I have the first 150 cards. The majority of which are @1999 Wizards. All in mint condition. I have checked and none are shadowless. Only one 1st edition which is Machamp. I also have the promo Pikachu and Mew cards from the first films.

Any help is appreciated.

Years
  • Hey Chris, many people value having a full set of the original base set from 1999. So in my opinion, you'll get the most value by keeping it together. However! You may well have cards in there from the other '99 sets (fossil and jungle). If so, these wouldn't be complete sets, so it's worth checking. I recommending cross-referencing your collection with the card lists here pokellector.com/sets... just scroll to the bottom of the page for the early sets.

The condition of the cards will also play a role in how much you could expect to get. Have they been kept protected in sleeves or a binder? Look for scratches, edgewear, whitening on the sides of the cards. All of these will help determine the condition. If they are in mint condition as you say, you may want to consider getting them graded with PSA or Beckett - high grades in these vintage cards make selling them individually worthwhile. However, do bare in mind the wait times are extremely long at the moment. Probably 12+ months.

I hope this helps brother!

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    Hey Chris, many people value having a full set of the original base set from 1999. So in my opinion, you'll get the most value by keeping it together. However! You may well have cards in there from the other '99 sets (fossil and jungle). If so, these wouldn't be complete sets, so it's worth checking. I recommending cross-referencing your collection with the card lists here pokellector.com/sets... just scroll to the bottom of the page for the early sets.

The condition of the cards will also play a role in how much you could expect to get. Have they been kept protected in sleeves or a binder? Look for scratches, edgewear, whitening on the sides of the cards. All of these will help determine the condition. If they are in mint condition as you say, you may want to consider getting them graded with PSA or Beckett - high grades in these vintage cards make selling them individually worthwhile. However, do bare in mind the wait times are extremely long at the moment. Probably 12+ months.

I hope this helps brother!

Thank you that is really useful! I just had a look and I have the complete base, jungle and fossil sets with random ones of the others. I have a couple of 1st edition base cards and some 1st edition Rocket cards.

The cards have always been kept in binders. To me, they all look mint or near mint with the exception of a couple. Do you know if there are any traders that buy collections? I don't have the time to dedicate to selling them individually and getting them graded.

I have a full list of what I have as well as quantities.

Back