• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen How was one supposed to catch Mew in Red/Blue?

PuntingYoshi

Squirtle>Mudkip
Years
    • Age 30
    • PEI
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    Some of you probably know that Mew was thrown into the game after it was debugged, and Nintendo didn't even know about it being there. How did the developers expect you to catch it, if it wasn't anywhere in the game? Where there any sort of Events for the first game? :\

(Yes I know about the glitch, but I doubt that's how they expected you get it)

Years
  • I *think* there were nintendo events that were exclusive to Japan after the release of Red/Green so it was achieveable by attending but only there

My presumption is they were jsut never removed when the European/us versions came about as i'm pretty sure Nintendo never had any events outside of Japan at that time

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Moving to Metal/Color since this glitch didn't exist in FRLG. And since this is more of "how did they expect you to catch it" thing rather than a full discussion on the glitch, I'll allow it to stay. Just remember that there is a glitch thread where this glitch and any other glitches from RBGY/GSC should be discussed.

Also, there were events for Mew, but I mean, not everyone could access them. I know I never could get events til gen IV (and late in gen IV at that).

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • A look at the Wikipedia and Bulbapedia article for Mew shows that there were numerous events where they've given out Mew...

There seemed to be one in the US after the release of Pokemon Stadium, actually.

It was pretty much Nintendo or the promoter "downloading" the Mew into their game. I remember reading event stuff like this in magazines and whatnot. I was ecstatic but sadly unable to do any of that stuff. xD

Check it out here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mew_(Pokémon)
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_(Pokémon)#In_events

Guest123_x1

It appears the game designers wanted a Pokémon that could only be obtained by unique, special means, but weren't sure how to go about implementing it, hence Mew was programmed into the game at the last minute before RTM (release to manufacturing).

Back