• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How will you experience the game?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    A new generation means new Pokémon, new gym leaders, new... everything! I know of a few people who are aiming to avoid any information on this generation like the plague and wanting to experience the game without any prior information, without any information on where to get something or how to accomplish a task, and without the use of any outside materials such as walkthroughs and guides.

I can't remember the last time I was actually around for the start of a new generation enough for me to actually get access to information beforehand. So with that I have a question for you all.

Come the time the game is released, do you plan on using any outside pieces of information, such as guides and walkthroughs, to beat the main game? Or do you want to be surprised throughout the entire game and go into the world that you haven't a clue how to navigate? Will you try to find out everything you can about the game before you get it, or are you one of those people who want to be surprised when you finally do reach the champion or spot a Pokémon that you think is possibly the greatest Pokémon since Cherrim?

As for me, I'm not exactly sure. In a way, I would really like to learn all I can about the Pokémon, the region, the characters, and everything else. But on the other hand I would really like to enjoy the game without spoilers. I think that's the main thing that affected Generation IV for me and impacted me so greatly that I actually found it to be boring. After all, I never did complete Platinum yet. I find that I'd more than likely play the game without using anything outside of what pieces of information the game gives me.

What about you?

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I don't use strategy guides. Mainly because I always thought what the point was in paying an extra $20 dollars, and I have the internet free to look up anything I need. In genearl I'm the type of person who likes to experience things as I go. I did this in Hoenn and Sinnoh and will in Isshu too. I might get tempted to watch videos of black and white once they pop up on YouTube when the game comes out in Japan--like I was with SS/HG--but I try not to watch them because I don't want to spoil the excitment for me.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I will start fresh and advance through the game thoroughly, no guide whatsoever, absorbed every detail in. I have a feeling that this world will be MUCH harder to navigate through, but I'm excited to explore it!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I will not use much outside info other then the types of pokemon there are in these games but other than that I will just go with the flow.

ahhh, you made it over! well off-topic, but yeah I agree. Though I will probably pop up around PC to see how other people are doing in their game.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Spoilers have never bothered me personally, I still get just as excited going, "ZOMG I remember reading about this!! Time to see what this puppy can do!!" as I do going, "Holy crap is that a Bibarel on steroids!?" cause in reality I do that anyways when the Pokemon is released. The thing that make the Pokemon games for me are the little things that alot of people won't even find worth reporting. A good example would be on route 120 in Hoenn there's a little pond with an island with a cave on it. Inside it is TM Sunny Day. I love that cave just cause I get that sense of finding something for myself. Finding Hiun city just isn't the same. Plus I get a whole new feeling when I discover something in game compared to when I see it on the net. On the internet it's a dream basically and finding it in the game is realising that dream which is just awesome so for that reason I'll look at as many outside sources as I want and still adore the games!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I always enjoy a game the less I know. However, knowing myself pretty well, I know I couldn't resist certain spoilers that are to be released prior to the release of the game. I'd like to keep somethings at reserve so the fun of the game isn't entirely ruined, but at the same time I want to know enough in which I know I'll enjoy it when I get it - if this makes any sense at all.

I don't use walkthroughs though. They never really interested me as I rather play through a game and come about an obstacle and figure it out myself. It's always more fun that way anyway. With Pokémon though, this isn't always something that's too difficult to come by as the games are pointed to more of a younger audience. Which is why I'm hoping for a more difficult game this generation.

I think what I'll do like I've done with every game so far is that I'll know what there is to know, without ruining the experience and fun of the game. I knew just enough about DPPt when it was released to enjoy it and still have surprising moments, which I anticipate to do the same here.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I actually started playing Pokemon with Yellow version but then I went to Red version. Ever since, I have played the main versions and the 3rd installments as well and I plan to do the same with this generation.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Spoilers have never bothered me personally, I still get just as excited going, "ZOMG I remember reading about this!! Time to see what this puppy can do!!" as I do going, "Holy crap is that a Bibarel on steroids!?" cause in reality I do that anyways when the Pokemon is released. The thing that make the Pokemon games for me are the little things that alot of people won't even find worth reporting. A good example would be on route 120 in Hoenn there's a little pond with an island with a cave on it. Inside it is TM Sunny Day. I love that cave just cause I get that sense of finding something for myself. Finding Hiun city just isn't the same. Plus I get a whole new feeling when I discover something in game compared to when I see it on the net. On the internet it's a dream basically and finding it in the game is realising that dream which is just awesome so for that reason I'll look at as many outside sources as I want and still adore the games!

The thing though is when I watched spoilers it just makes me want to play the games even more. Then I realize that I have to wait months and yeah the mix of sadness and anger set in. Like 'ahhh, Japan is so lucky they have the games already' and 'I hate Nintendo why do they take so long to release the games in America? Are we less important than the Japanese?!' :laugh:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I can't remember the last time I was actually around for the start of a new generation enough for me to actually get access to information beforehand. So with that I have a question for you all.

Same thing here. I would love to avoid all possible information to maximize the surprise, but it's almost impossible for me to do that. I'd cave in within a day or two. With that said though, I don't use guides or walkthroughs for the main quest of the games. The only time I get around to using those is if I'm looking for something and have absolutely no idea where to go (which is hard to do in a Pokemon game if you ask me, it all seems pretty obvious.)

I think that once the games are released, I'll try and avoid all spoilers about it... though that will certainly prove to be difficult being on a Pokemon forum. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I'm not going to either bother getting Black or White, and I'm going to wait until the 3rd version comes out. I mean, I never play my Diamond version. Platinum is far, superior than Diamond/Pearl, and looking back, I wish I never played D/P so that the first time I play through Sinnoh was the awesome epicness of Platinum. And as each generation passes, the 3rd versions get more and more creative/better in comparison to the paired versions.

Originally, in Japan, the first games were Red & Green. The 3rd version was Blue (which was the version translated for the international releases of Pokemon) and the only differences was slightly better graphics, new sprites, different wild Pokemon, different in-game trades, and that's about it. (In Japan, Yellow is just a "side project", while Yellow is the 3rd version in places other than Japan).

Crystal had slightly better graphics than G/S, animated Pokemon sprites, Battle Tower, and that's about it.

Emerald had slightly better graphics than R/S, Battle Frontier, revised plot, animated sprites, many random aesthetic changes to match FR/LG, plus many random new features, and overall, a more "complete" Hoenn experience.

Platinum had much better graphics than D/P, and the list of things changed is too long for me to list. Basically, to be honest, I think Platinum is the perfect Pokemon game. It is truly the Pokemon game I have been the most satisfied with (yes, I like Platinum more than HG/SS), and in my opinion, it outclasses D/P very prominently.

I want my first adventure through the new region to be as awesome and epic as possible, so I'm going to pass on Black & White and wait for the 3rd version. (Grey?) There's no point in getting Black & White, since it will eventually become obsolete due to a 3rd version.

EDIT: And don't think I don't like what they've shown us. Black & White looks AWESOME so far, but just think, the 3rd version is gonna be AWESOME-ER.

Years
    ^I've considered doing what you posted as well, but I can't wait that long. D:

I'm going to spoil Pokemon and anime info, but I'm keeping the region and plot a secret like I did last gen. I will use online strategy guides to make sure I don't miss anything. It's not like you can hide from the Pokemon, you'd have to leave anything Pokemon-related on the internet for a few many months.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    The thing though is when I watched spoilers it just makes me want to play the games even more. Then I realize that I have to wait months and yeah the mix of sadness and anger set in. Like 'ahhh, Japan is so lucky they have the games already' and 'I hate Nintendo why do they take so long to release the games in America? Are we less important than the Japanese?!' :laugh:

True, true. I'm already getting that with Black and White but that's part of the excitement for me. The longer the wait the more worth it it is. I mean if Christmas was ever two weeks it wouldn't be the same would it? It's a love-hate relationship I have with this sort of thing. :P

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
    I've always used spoiler-heavy guides and walkthroughs. I know that it ruins a lot of the story and general effect of the game, but this is an RPG; sometimes, you just don't know where to go to get that one item, or where to go to meet that one guy. Plus, I just like looking at maps.

Years
    Once the game is released in Japan I am stopping looking up anything and that is going to be very hard to do. Of course before the game is released I will be relishing in every last pixel of art, every last frame of video that they give us.

Also, when I get the game, I have told myself to not go catching every pokémon I see and exp.share training them to get the pokédex done. All you end up with is heaps of unwanted pokémon that you have no real bond with and the shame of having gotten so many pokémon. (I am already full of shame from having completed the gen4 dex, imagine if I complete Gen5)
    I will catch what I like though and train what I want. No planning out my team before I start the game.

OH but two things I will be looking up. The starters evolutions and the game mascots (which are usually shown before release date but yeah)

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I'm going to devour any and all information about the game I can before it comes out - drool over the new pokedex that Japan is enjoying before we get it and possibly even get a copy with fan translated menus to give a spin before the American release.

As for when I'm playing the game, I want to experience and enjoy it with the missus as we play through our copies and will most likely avoid guides and just want a list of which pokemon are on which route so I can plan out what I may want to catch.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    My first experience of Black and White will be fumbling through the game in Japanese.
    With my limited knowledge of the language, I'm sure it will be fun.
    Then again, I do have the internet to help me when it comes to that.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    I'll not be using any strategy guides or anything, I never really have with Pokemon games. I might look at one or two bits of spoiler info (evolutions of existing pokemon, the legendaries) but generally I just want to play the game and see for myself how everything pans out.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Graet Thread. Gen IV was a tad surprising to me as I just got it without spoilers of anything. I plan to see the new Pokemon they show before the game release, and get a sneak peak at the PokeDex to sort my Team. But the story I want to be a surprise to me :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    No, the way I see it, you use anything to guide you throughout the game, and it's a speed run. I want to be able to experience the game the way I want to, without the creators telling me how to do it, that's what makes Pokemon games fun, when you explore the whole region by yourself and come across things that you didn't even know existed! That's why I don't use walkthroughs, unless I want a portable Pokedex, :D

Back