• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would this go down with you?

Years
    Hmmm...
    So I've had this idea for a while now and was wondering whether or not it would be something you'd want to read.

The fic's prototype name is "Fifth Period: Pokemon!" and it is, as you might have guessed, a school fic, of sorts. Not just a Pokemon School (although they obviously play the biggest part in the story), the school (currently nameless) is a boarding school that teaches what a normal school might. The reasoning behind this is that before, education wasn't compulsory seeing how you could drop out at 10-11 to go on a Pokemon journey.
    However, with so many dangerous criminals - not to mention dangerous Pokemon, it was decided that education should be compulsory until 16 (then there's College, University etc.), like in the real world. That way, when someone does decided to set out on a "Pokemon journey", they would be well educated and mature enough to properly look after themselves, as well as be able to contribute positively to society.

Of course, seeing how Pokemon play such a key role to the modern world's society, obviously the school wants to prepare kids for them as well as a journey, if they were ever to make one. The class involves the study of Pokemon as a whole and singular species, but also of mission-like trips where the students are taken into the wild itself, be it to practice catching or battling Pokemon. All Pokemon caught in this way are released though and the students do not have their own Pokemon, having to use the school's (think Rental). Thinking of splitting it into Theory and Practical.

The characters are a mix of OTs and actual characters from the games from all four regions. The main character will be Leaf, the female protagonist from FR/LG. In this incarnation, she is the younger sister of previous champion of Kanto's Pokemon League (done in a tournament style because just fighting the E4 sucks), Red who vanished for further training soon after claiming the title. She was also friends with Red's friends when they were all young, Blue who is now Viridian Gym Leader and Yellow. Yellow is a guy in this story and was the protagonist of Pokemon Yellow.

The story begins predictably enough, going through school etc. but soon takes a Harry Potter (lol) turn of events as Leaf and her friends begin getting involved with various troubles, ultimately linking back to Legendaries - who are, for the most part, Unown unknown to the world. They'll also run into the sudden resurrected criminal Teams of the past (although Galaxy has taken on a friendlier face and benefits the society under the leadership of Saturn).

That's the bare bones of it (obviously I don't want to give too much away), but I would like some input and to develop this a bit before actually making it really happen. I am guilty of not finishing a few fanfics in the past (mostly due to computer problems followed by a lack os motivation to start it back up), so I hope to fully follow this one through.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    The setting sounds pretty good. It's certainly logical. 10-year-old trainers don't make sense, no matter how you look at it. Private schools that teach Pokemon battling do. To some extent. On the one hand, it's more of a sport or a hobby than an academic subject. On the other hand, so much of the Pokeverse is devoted to Pokemon battling that maybe the parents, hoping their children would grow up to be Champions, pushed it onto the curriculum.

Anyway, it looks good so far. But it's the plot that really matters. You said Harry Potter...I'm wondering how much of an influence it's been. It looks like the story might be about school children saving the world from the evil plans of criminal organizations. How old are these school children? Be wary of making the adults look useless. HP is guilty of this, but keeps it from being glaringly obvious, sometimes ending with the twist that everything was Harry's fault and he shouldn't have meddled in the first place. It would take some careful planning, I guess.

What's your plan for the Legendaries? Are they destroying the world with their extreme power?

Years
    I only noticed the Harry Potter thing while I was writing the post but you don't really notice if it's been an influence, eh?
    As for Adults are Useless, I'm currently debating ways to avoid that without taking the focus away from the students themselves.The ages would be 13-16. I think I've decided on running two stories in the same plot, 1 of the students and 1 of a certain person actually living in the world.
    For the Legendaries, I wanted to explore the importance of the Legendaries and their histories, as well as their effects on the natural balance.
    Urgh, it's Easter and I'm a tad brain-dead so I hoped that made sense.

Years
    This is actually a pretty interesting start, I'd like to hear a bit more. But i have a few questions, why not make the trainers a little older? And the schools that teach pokemon are a sweet idea

Years
    This is actually a pretty interesting start, I'd like to hear a bit more. But i have a few questions, why not make the trainers a little older? And the schools that teach pokemon are a sweet idea

Thanks. 13-16 is about right age-wise for school-goers. Mind you, in America do you go up to 18?

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Thanks. 13-16 is about right age-wise for school-goers. Mind you, in America do you go up to 18?

High school goes to about that in America, yes. Some people go through their senior year at the age of 17, though, with some turning 18 during the year or something...

The idea has merit, though. It makes sense, too. With all the criminal organizations and just general dangers, 10 year-olds really don't make much sense. I have only the concerns Rabbit does, so just make sure that will be planned out okay...

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I would be more interested in a fic that stars adults, actually. Maybe teachers of the school. Adults are so underused.

Back