• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] I am currently writing a Pokemon Anime AU where Iris get's adopted by the Ketchum's and I need help making sure Ash stays in character.

Days
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Pretty much what it says in the title.

image_2023-10-20_182653010.png

This is an AU where some things are changed like ages and some events happened in a different order.
    For instance, Ash is aged up to 16 because Pikachu couldn't stop the Spearrow swarm at the start of the anime and Delia freaked out when he was later found and rescued. Shipping him off to school for three years in Paldea where he became a bit more competent, but still the densest being in the known universe.
    Iris is 12 and Had Brock go with them throughout Unova because I swapped Hoenn and Unova in the timeline of my fic

Summary on Ao3: Pallet Town was ablaze with joy as the annual Winter Festival was just around the corner. So was the case for the Ketchum household which looked livelier as Ash, the only child, was finally home. But, soon the atmosphere was somber. While Ash was making calls to his friends sending his best wishes, something felt off for Iris. The Ketchums decide to invite the girl in the joyous occasion to find out what troubled her. Who could have thought one phone call could change their lives so drastically?

So to basically get down to the point, writing an angry, frustrated, concerned, etc. Ash is haaaard! In the story right now, he just learned the night before that Iris, his close friend, has been an orphan and was neglected by the people of Dragon Village the entire time he traveled with her and he never realized that fact, leading to him being frustrated at his denseness while he talked with his mother about the previous night's events.

I'm trying to portray him as deeply concerned for his friend while also still trying to stay in character, which is hard for me because it's nearly impossible for me to imagine Ash simply sitting down and talking about what troubles him or to try and write out his thoughts and worries as they just feel so not-Ash to me.

Last edited:
    Back