• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't feel like my writing 'flows'

Kauai

New Look, New me ~ ;D
Years
  • I've been role playing since I was a kid. For those of you who don't know what role playing is, and no I'm not talking D&D type, it's basically one person posts a part of a story from their characters perspective, the other then does the same and so on.

Any way, in my six years of role playing, -- yes, I've been doing it since I was nine, I've advanced from a sentence to sometimes breaching on six to ten paragraphs a post.

I've always wanted to get into fan fiction writing, but here comes my dilemma: I don't feel like my writing 'flows'. It always feels choppy to me, like I have a problem transitioning into a new scene....

I could post some samples of my writing from role playing but it would be a bit long and I doubt anyone wants to read them, but would anyone care to give me any advice on making my writing 'flow'.

Hopefully this came out right.... ;-;

And when I finally attempt to dive into fan fiction writing, I'll make sure to post it here first no matter how crappy! xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2020
    I also get this feeling all the time when writing a blog post/review/assignment, the only thing I can suggest is first plan your basic structure of whatever you want to write, jot down any key points you want to include and what order they should go in the structure then whilst writing make sure you constantly reread what you put to see if you can mix it around to improve the structure.

Kauai

New Look, New me ~ ;D
    Years
  • I'm actually going to try that, so thanks for the idea! The next time I get an idea for a fan fiction I'll get out a piece of paper for that.

In any case, I did attempt my first fan fiction today! It was a One-Shot, FFXIII, Fang x Vanille piece. Warning: Very Mild Shoujo-Ai. But alas like I said originally, it doesn't seem to flow to me. And even worse, because I'm not use to the non-role playing style of writing, in other words not having someone else to write against/with, it flows even less.

If anyone's interested though, it's called Forever in the City of Dreams. I'd post a link but it isn't up yet.

I've decided, because of that, it would be best to write in shorter intervals [that one-shot is about 1,800 words] and examine those shorter intervals more closely and putting more effort into them.

Last edited:

Grexx

Angel of Truth
    Years
  • I've been role playing since I was a kid. For those of you who don't know what role playing is, and no I'm not talking D&D type, it's basically one person posts a part of a story from their characters perspective, the other then does the same and so on.

Any way, in my six years of role playing, -- yes, I've been doing it since I was nine, I've advanced from a sentence to sometimes breaching on six to ten paragraphs a post.

I've always wanted to get into fan fiction writing, but here comes my dilemma: I don't feel like my writing 'flows'. It always feels choppy to me, like I have a problem transitioning into a new scene....

I could post some samples of my writing from role playing but it would be a bit long and I doubt anyone wants to read them, but would anyone care to give me any advice on making my writing 'flow'.

Hopefully this came out right.... ;-;

And when I finally attempt to dive into fan fiction writing, I'll make sure to post it here first no matter how crappy! xD

I would like to read them. :)

And oh yeah, I know what you mean. My advice is basically what ojdon said, and to just practice writing until you develop more proficiency at writing. Everyone is crappy at first, you just got to keep trying! Go for it!

Eternity The Espeon

A spark in my life~
    Years
  • Hey.

I'm pretty new to writing Fanfics as well. I have, however, written random stories that I come up with in the middle of dinner or something strange like that.

I reccomend that you try to plan it out first like Ojdon said. For my Fanfic, me and my friend have a one on one RPG that we play on AIM. We randomly came up with the idea, and it bloomed from there on out. It was shortly after that we decided to turn it into a Fanfic.

Writing a Fanfic with a friend can be very fun. If you do, though, I suggest you don't plan things out. Just work it out and see how it goes, then when you convert it into a story, you can change bits and pieces.

My writing, most of the time, is like how Stephen King(a famous horror writer) writes. He never plans things ahead unless he has to. All he does is get an idea and then twist it in his own ways.

I tend to write things in first person, if only because it's easier. To me, it's like altering my own personality and writing through my eyes as if it were to happen. In first person I can usually get a good three or four paragraphs done, while in third I can only get about a paragraph before giving up.

Just some tips and ideas. Still, don't forget that you have your own writing style. Sometimes taking advice from other people, as a writer, can lead you the wrong way.​

---Eternity
    Also known as Loud And Annoying Pidgey

Back