• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

...I miss their old games...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Why is Sonic mentioned? Generations and Color are arguably the best games in the series.
    Um, probably the Legend of Zelda series. I think its quality peaked between ALttP and WW. Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, TP & SS were all quite painful to play (TP was pretty decent on the Gamecube version though). ALBW was great but it's short, fairly easy, and riddled with bugs - you can literally skip entire dungeons and the entire first half of the story and it feels sloppy; a LoZ game hasn't been this broken since OoT (which can be beaten in under 19 minutes).

I'd say Pokémon, too, but the sequels have always been pretty great. The initial releases for each gen have just been...bad since DP.

These glitches are only activated by using VERY specific methods. You'll VERY rarely ever come across something like it in a normal playthrough, meaning it's only ever seen in speedruns, where they ACTIVELY look for these kinds of glitches. Also most Zelda games, after OOT, are like this. (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker in particular come to mind.)

This is a GOOD thing. The game is still polished as hell while leaving "techniques" like that to make it a better game for speedrunning.

Luigi's Mansion. The one for the 3DS is soooooo much worse that the original one on the gamecube. In it's defense, the original was and still is an amazing game, so it'd be hard to beat or even compare to.
    LM1 and LM2 suffer the same problems. Neither is inherently better than the other, it's all preferences. I don't really know where you're getting at especially when it's so easy to say a game is "so amazing and hard to top".

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    Why is Sonic mentioned? Generations and Color are arguably the best games in the series.

These glitches are only activated by using VERY specific methods. You'll VERY rarely ever come across something like it in a normal playthrough, meaning it's only ever seen in speedruns, where they ACTIVELY look for these kinds of glitches. Also most Zelda games, after OOT, are like this. (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker in particular come to mind.)

This is a GOOD thing. The game is still polished as hell while leaving "techniques" like that to make it a better game for speedrunning.

LM1 and LM2 suffer the same problems. Neither is inherently better than the other, it's all preferences. I don't really know where you're getting at especially when it's so easy to say a game is "so amazing and hard to top".

The thing about ALBW glitches are that they're all very easy to execute and I feel like it should have been noticed in play testing; especially considering most of them are all Tornado Rod exploits. It's not like theyre some super complex thing like wrong warping in OoT. I *do* love the exploits cause they make ALBW speedruns fun, but I think it is an example of the quality of additions made to the series. I actually accidentally executed some of the exploits in my first casual run. :/

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The thing about ALBW glitches are that they're all very easy to execute and I feel like it should have been noticed in play testing; especially considering most of them are all Tornado Rod exploits. It's not like theyre some super complex thing like wrong warping in OoT. I *do* love the exploits cause they make ALBW speedruns fun, but I think it is an example of the quality of additions made to the series. I actually accidentally executed some of the exploits in my first casual run. :/
    Really? That's the first I've heard. Pretty much all impressions I've read never mentioned any glitches, just remarked about how polished and smooth the game is. It wasn't until I started watching the speedruns of the game that I knew about any glitches.

It's a weird oversight, but I guess I don't mind it since I love the exploits in the game lol.

Last edited:

Yukari

Sonic generations and Colors are both excellent games. But most people usually think about the atrocious Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog games (Though I kinda liked the latter...) and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 parts 1&2; both of which were subpar for the series and pale in comparison to 1-Sonic and Knuckles. Generally: The newer games aren't as good as the older games. But personally I think that Sonic is starting to improve.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Sonic generations and Colors are both excellent games. But most people usually think about the atrocious Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog games (Though I kinda liked the latter...) and Sonic the Hedgehog 4 parts 1&2; both of which were subpar for the series and pale in comparison to 1-Sonic and Knuckles. Generally: The newer games aren't as good as the older games. But personally I think that Sonic is starting to improve.
    Sonic hasn't been terrible since 2006. The only ones close to that are Sonic 4, and those were outsourced, not developed by the main team, and they're not really terrible as they are more mediocre. Everything after ranges from good (Sonic Rush, Unleashed) to excellent. (Generations, Color and the All Stars Racing games.)

Lost World had the right idea, but lacked focus. It is one game. Sonic Boom is more side project than a main game. (And we still don't know if it's even good or bad). Also, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are the only "excellent" games from the older Sonic games.

Sonic is just as good now as he was before, in terms of game design. He just doesn't have the same impact, but that's more due to platforming mascots dying than actually something related to the quality of the games.

Yukari

Sonic hasn't been terrible since 2006. The only ones close to that are Sonic 4, and those were outsourced, not developed by the main team, and they're not really terrible as they are more mediocre. Everything after ranges from good (Sonic Rush, Unleashed) to excellent. (Generations, Color and the All Stars Racing games.)

Lost World had the right idea, but lacked focus. It is one game. Sonic Boom is more side project than a main game. Also, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are the only "excellent" games from the older Sonic games.

Sonic is just as good now as he was before, in terms of game design. He just doesn't have the same impact, but that's more due to platforming mascots dying than actually something related to the quality of the games.
    Mmm... After some though I guess I would agree. Most of the complaints I've heard are something along the lines of "The new sonic games don't capture that sense of speed that the old games had." I really don't get that. And really: '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog are 8 years old now. The two other games that frequently get a lot of flak (Sonic and the secret rings which was simply average and Sonic and the Black knight which was met with rather mixed reception) are 7 and 5 years old respectively. Personally I think that the newer games made up for the faults of their predecessors.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Mmm... After some though I guess I would agree. Most of the complaints I've heard are something along the lines of "The new sonic games don't capture that sense of speed that the old games had." I really don't get that. And really: '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog are 8 years old now. The two other games that frequently get a lot of flak (Sonic and the secret rings which was simply average and Sonic and the Black knight which was met with rather mixed reception) are 7 and 5 years old respectively. Personally I think that the newer games made up for the faults of their predecessors.

To reply specifically to the bolded, that is a lie. Compare:
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Sonic Generations

Sonic Generations has a significantly faster sense of speed than S3&K, plus it's harder to keep up with. (Not a bad thing necessarily, mind you.) The genesis games (and even the classic Sonic portions in Generations) don't have the same sense of speed the boost modern Sonic games have.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years

Lost World had the right idea, but lacked focus. It is one game. Sonic Boom is more side project than a main game. (And we still don't know if it's even good or bad). Also, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are the only "excellent" games from the older Sonic games.

I wouldn't say the first Sonic is "not excellent". For its time, it was. However, it didn't age as nicely as its sequels, and is riddled with punishing level design.

To people complaining about glitches... Super Mario 64 is a glitchfest and it's an excellent game.

Years

what problems are you referring to?

And backing up my statement, LM1 was a very innovative game in the feeling of progress at which it brought forth. Rather than seeing a percentage on your screen, you actively start to light up the mansion, making it more safe and giving aesthetic progress to the player.

With LM2, not only are the areas more complex, the overall goal seems less important, and lights turn on and off in rooms, in my opinion, that it kind of lacks that visual progress that the first brought.

Don't get me wrong, they're both great games. Nostalgia of course plays into my liking of LM1, I just think it's a better game overall.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    what problems are you referring to?

And backing up my statement, LM1 was a very innovative game in the feeling of progress at which it brought forth. Rather than seeing a percentage on your screen, you actively start to light up the mansion, making it more safe and giving aesthetic progress to the player.

With LM2, not only are the areas more complex, the overall goal seems less important, and lights turn on and off in rooms, in my opinion, that it kind of lacks that visual progress that the first brought.

Don't get me wrong, they're both great games. Nostalgia of course plays into my liking of LM1, I just think it's a better game overall.
    I'm not sure I follow. Is visual progression the reason you think LM1 is better? That's it?

I personally think the level design is stronger in LM2. The mansions all have a great sense of cohesiveness and dynamics that keeps it consistently fresh and exciting. No room is the same, and ghosts interact with the every room better and bring a new gimmick with that, which is the biggest problem I felt with LM1 as it lacked that. It lacked variety, where for the most part the rooms are just a different coat of paint. Your objective in them are mostly the same. It makes up for it with the boss ghosts, I suppose.

Their biggest issue is the lack of polish though. LM1 was a rushed launch title, and LM2 was too bloated. Neither are "amazing", they're both just "great". They have problems that hold them back from being masterpieces. I love both of them, though.

Back