• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need help

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    Does anyone know how I can assign a different rival depending on the character you choose?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2023
    You mean something like Brendan and May, right?

If so, name two switches s:$player.isMale? and s:$player.isFemale? (turning both into script switches), and have any events that should be the rival have two pages with each one having one of the switches you just named as its condition.. Alternatively, you can store the player's character selection in a game variable when they decide, and have your rival event check for this to determine its appearance (e.g. on page with 0 or more, make them the male rival, but with 1 or more, make them the female rival). The second option works with any number of player characters, so it might be the better option, but which you pick is up to you.

You'll want to put this in the event that actually shows the rival itself, even if the cutscene where the rival shows up uses a controller event that actually houses the cutscene code (in there you can simply use a Conditional Branch with similar conditions to the event pages to change the text and which rival battle you face and whatnot, but rivals who pick a starter based on the player's already do this so that's more natural to do anyway).

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    Thanks mate, I already got that, but what I don't know is how to change the name or the sprite of the rival/mate

Years
    They would have to be 2 different Trainer Classes, one with May's sprite and one with Brendan's sprite for example.
    You'll then need to choose which one to show to the player on the specific event.

Following the May/Brendan example that would be a conditional branch testing s:$player.isMale?:
    if yes change into May's overworld sprite and start a battle with Pkmn Trainer May,
    otherwise change into Brendan's overworld sprite and start a battle with Pkmn Trainer Brendan.

Back