• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Want to Know What ART Is (ART THREAD)

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    I managed to rack up the required 15 posts for posting urls, so the only logical thing to do is to DUMP ART. And that is what I will do right here.

No fancy CSS or coloured text or anything, I'll let my art do the talking (though usually my lengthy descriptions might say otherwise haha). My tools of the trade are a Wacom tablet and Photoshop, although there are some exceptions.
    They're mostly arranged from oldest to newest. Mostly.
    (all spoilered for your inconvenience, shouldn't be overly page-stretching)

Pokémon fanart: (haven't drawn much lately so they're relatively old)

Mandibuzz and Cobalion:
    Spoiler:

Other fanart: (including Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick and Homestuck and maybe some other stuff)

Fujimoto from Ponyo:
    Spoiler:

Homestuck fanarts (many!):

Spoiler:

Ace Attorney fanart:
    Spoiler:

Ghost Trick fanart:
    Spoiler:

silly EBA/TRON crossover:
    Spoiler:

Phantom of the Opera (scene painted digitally from reference, first time doing something like this):
    Spoiler:

original here in case you wanna compare (I'm aware of the many errors in my version, this is mainly just to show there was no tracing/cheating involved; I didn't even use the dropper tool to get the colours, instead I hand-picked them)

Original art:

Some character designs (pencil doodles, PS colour):
    Spoiler:

Doodly dragon:
    Spoiler:

Hesperos, an original character of mine:
    Spoiler:

Creepy dude playing with a knife (and a life?):
    Spoiler:

Fouga, one of my numerous original characters:
    Spoiler:

Genetically engineered combat owl people (saw these in a dream originally, haha):
    Spoiler:

... that was it for tonight, I think.
    I'll post new arts as I make them, I guess. Won't update the first post, though, because it's pretty huge already :D

I really appreciate in-depth comments and critique, because there's still a lot for me to learn (especially in the anatomy department)!

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Haha, thanks :D The colours were mostly chosen for aesthetic reasons, but Derek (the redhead) is kinda frowny always, you know :P

Here's something new, and better yet: pokemon!
    attackorder_wm.jpg

In my current White, I'm doing a bug-only two-pokemon run (or at least attempting), and the two lucky ones are obviously an Accelgor (male, Erik) and a Vespiquen (female, duh, Christine). They're doing pretty well, so I drew them (Christine doesn't have Attack Order yet though).
    Don't really like the background but eh, don't wanna go back to it either.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • you are GENIUS !!! (understatement)

The art here is magnificent to untold ends. You have awesome skill man !! i especially like the tron thing, hahaha, hilerious.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Thanks!

Kodai is my all-time favourite Pokemon villain, so I thought I should draw him!
    BOOT_wm.jpg

(note: I don't hate Zorua or anything this is just a silly doodle)
    Texture used is from CGtextures.com, I think. I had some hastily-googled picture as a pose reference.

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • Hey, cool stuff.
    The eba/tron thing made me giggle xD such awesome.
    I also like the battle owls. thats such a cool concept and they're really well executed. Same thing with Hesperos, he's really bizarre, quite likable, really.
    I really like how soft your colouring is, too.
    Even thought you said you don't like the background of it, I really like the picture of Christine and Erik. It reminds me of how sometimes cartoons ended with scenes with a funny render, it's just like that x3 haha. So the background is also a winner, to me.

Anyway yeah, cool stuff :'>

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Thank you C:

here's some quick portraits of two of my original characters, Jack Ace and Michael Fawkes :U
    TT_wm.jpg

4_wm.jpg

yes the first one's head is shaped like the pi sign that's not weird at all

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I really like your style! Do you use Illustrator, Photoshop or Paintshop for "painted" illustrations? I don't know why, but I've always been struggling with that way of coloring :(.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Thanks! I mainly use Photoshop (but I'm gonna try some other programs too after I get a new laptop). I have Paint Shop Pro too but I only use it for pixel stuff (and it is pretty much the perfect program for that, at least in my book).

The paint-y effect with Photoshop comes from a pretty normal round brush with opacity set to pen pressure (and a set size; i.e. pen pressure doesn't affect the size); it does the job pretty well. With the opacity set to pressure, it's pretty easy to colour very lightly even with the main opacity set to 100%. It's best just to experiment with different settings and see which works best for you C:

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Thanks! I mainly use Photoshop (but I'm gonna try some other programs too after I get a new laptop). I have Paint Shop Pro too but I only use it for pixel stuff (and it is pretty much the perfect program for that, at least in my book).

The paint-y effect with Photoshop comes from a pretty normal round brush with opacity set to pen pressure (and a set size; i.e. pen pressure doesn't affect the size); it does the job pretty well. With the opacity set to pressure, it's pretty easy to colour very lightly even with the main opacity set to 100%. It's best just to experiment with different settings and see which works best for you C:
    Thanks for the tip, that's pretty helpful!!! Isn't it a bit annoying for the brush sizes though?

The way I was trying to paint was size fixed to pen pressure with 10% opacity.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    It's actually pretty easy to get used to the brush size not changing with the pen pressure, at least I've gotten used to it pretty swiftly. Of course you have to change it manually in case you need to do some detailed parts but it's pretty quick since you can get the brush menu up with a simple right click.

I made a doodl-y drawing of that knife-dude in the first post; he now has a proper name too! I call him Reginald, and he's a creepy pervert (how delightful!).
    slicemenice_wm.jpg

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • Holy crap these are very awesome! I like the creepy perv. The guy with a Pi head is priceless.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
    Years
  • I think these drawings are great! (I cannot comprehend how people blend colors so well.)

My favorite piece one is Dave, but that's because Dave's my favorite anyways. :P

Reginald's knife in the first post has a pretty cool design in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and those combat owls are epic.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Well, these are...interesting.

Some are good but very weird...(yeah, i'm looking at YOU Reginald!) They're especially good for being in a painting style.
    Some, like the Vespiquen/Accelgor one, are just plain epic :3 Poor Zorua in the Kodai picture :'( Bite 'im Zorua! Bite 'im!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    Thanks! I mainly use Photoshop (but I'm gonna try some other programs too after I get a new laptop). I have Paint Shop Pro too but I only use it for pixel stuff (and it is pretty much the perfect program for that, at least in my book).

I've been wondering how to do that, too. It sounds like a really good tip, so I'll have to try it sometime! Thanks!

You're art is amazing, by the way!

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Whoa! Thanks for all the compliments, guys :D

Here's a little doodly picture inspired by a dream:
    dreamscape_wm.jpg

I was near this building (idk what purpose it served), wearing a weird red/white uniform-y coat, and looking at my reflection :U
    There was some other stuff happening too but that part I remember best.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I really like your Mandibuzz and Coballion fanart. It's a semi-anime style and I really like how you colored it as well. <3

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Thanks P:

here's something new (and definitely weird)!

(click for original size [1300 x 1731])

Back