• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Ideal situations for taunt?

S-MAN

Banned
    Years
    In regards to the stats of the user, is taunt more preferred on pokemon with high speed? Or would a semi-tank pokemon do well even if it means going last?
    I'm thinking to go with Ursaring utilizing taunt like this:
    -Taunt
    -Rest
    -Return
    -Hidden Power (ghost)
    @Chesto berry

I don't know how useful taunt will be for Ursaring to be honest.. thoughts? Like taunt in general what is good for it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Yours can work but i think there are better semi-tank strong physical attacker out there.
    What makes Ursaring unqiue is an offensive set, his ability AND attack make it one of the best user of facade, taunt and rest is contrary to that.
    I prefer Guts ability to make the most out of attack and Guts also prevent reduction in attack by burn, which is awesome.
    Have a flame orb to make his first move more devastating without waiting for your opponent to inflict status condition if they would at all.
    Hidden power ghost seem to counter ghost but it is special attack, Ursaring has shadow claw.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iLonZ-zII

S-MAN

Banned
    Years
    Yours can work but i think there are better semi-tank strong physical attacker out there.
    What makes Ursaring unqiue is an offensive set, his ability AND attack make it one of the best user of facade, taunt and rest is contrary to that.
    I prefer Guts ability to make the most out of attack and Guts also prevent reduction in attack by burn, which is awesome.
    Have a flame orb to make his first move more devastating without waiting for your opponent to inflict status condition if they would at all.
    Hidden power ghost seem to counter ghost but it is special attack, Ursaring has shadow claw.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iLonZ-zII

There's no such thing as a flame orb in gen 3!! Also ghost type moves in gen 3 is Attack based and is super effective against ghost and psychic types.
    There's no shadow claw either. I feel with you on facade because of Guts-my raticate does it so awesome! But I have 1 facade user I don't really need another one right now. Any other suggestions for him? Now I'm considering the following:
    Also I'll max out his speed with beneficial nature and EVs
    -Taunt
    -Bulk Up
    -Return
    -Hidden power

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    There's no such thing as a flame orb in gen 3!! Also ghost type moves in gen 3 is Attack based and is super effective against ghost and psychic types.
    There's no shadow claw either. I feel with you on facade because of Guts-my raticate does it so awesome! But I have 1 facade user I don't really need another one right now. Any other suggestions for him? Now I'm considering the following:
    Also I'll max out his speed with beneficial nature and EVs
    -Taunt
    -Bulk Up
    -Return
    -Hidden power
    Oh my bad, i got back to this thread using search i didnt know it is 3rd gen.
    Different way to use it depend on how stubborn u want it to be.
    If u want it to be stubborn and use Bulk up, then i prefer rest with chesto berry over taunt, again u used bulk up u hope that u dont switch out right, bc ur stubborn, that mean u have 2 move slot on attack coverage and no place for taunt.
    if it is not stubborn while looking for chance to use bulk up, u can have taunt to try gain a free turn (from opponent switch) and use that to bulk up.
    The reason you want taunt pair with ghost-type move is I guess your fear or defeat from ghost, remember, ghost cant hit you as much as you cant hit ghost AND ghost wont be throwing a fighting-type attack. If your opponent send out ghost, you use super effective hit on it you risk going down with destiny bond right? Relax..it is time for free bulk ups! Then you use taunt out of nowhere and finish it with earthquake. Earthquake bc you can be walled out by steel-type, steel has high defense and resistance, you send out Ursaring your opponent can send out ghost as well as steel; forretress is exactly the wall u want to taunt, steelix, scizor, metagross...They are all mad strong dont let them gain a free turn from switch, use earthquake. Ground also hit fire electric poison super effective which are special. You could be walled out by Gengar and Misdrevaus, but if u taunt, u may trade it with a switch unless Gengar carries thunderbolt or something, earthquake is more rewarding overall so if u are not stubborn, earthquake always.
    If it is not ghost.. bc of its 55 base speed your taunt must come with price, you cannot stop dragon, you cannot stop stats buff, calm mind can KO you first bc ur slow, sweeper, a dragon dance is sure to kill u (first), u cannot stop entry hazard(but in gen 3 there are no toxic spike, stealth rocks), u cannot stop weathers, tailwind, light screen, reflect.. bc once they are up your opponent doesnt care about taunt anymore. You also have an edge on status condition which u dont need taunt on, paralyze slow u but u are already slow, burn lower ur attack except u dont, toxic give u attack as well so you can sweep.

If u want to use the taunts Ursaring cant do, bring a Crobat, it has 130 base speed, it can taunt dragons, Gengar, Jumpluff, even Alakazam. It has confuse ray and roost it is 100% mad annoying. I am taunted just from seeing it. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Back