• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm a dense MF, need help with editing abilities

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Hey everyone, first time posting, don't know if this is the right spot to post but here goes.

I'm working on my own hack of Pokemon Emerald with great success so far, but I want to add new abilities and I am absolutely bamboozled on how to do it, even after browsing many threads.

As the title suggests I am a dense, layman MF who knows zilch about coding so I'm gonna need some hand holding here. The programs I'm using include HexManiacAdvance, XSE (Though I'm stumped when trying to use it), and I have Hex Workshop.

The abilities I would love to have are as follows (If at all possible):
    Snow Warning
    Skill Link
    Heatproof
    Anger Point

Much appreciation for any help.

Last edited:

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey everyone, first time posting, don't know if this is the right spot to post but here goes.

I'm working on my own hack of Pokemon Emerald with great success so far, but I want to add new abilities and I am absolutely bamboozled on how to do it, even after browsing many threads.

As the title suggests I am a dense, layman MF who knows zilch about coding so I'm gonna need some hand holding here. The programs I'm using include HexManiacAdvance, XSE (Though I'm stumped when trying to use it), and I have Hex Workshop.

Snow Warning
    Skill Link
    Heatproof
    Anger Point

Hey there,
    Game Development is for fangames only, not ROM hacks. I'm moving your thread to the Binary ROM Hacking forum, you will find help more easily here.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024

Snow Warning
    Skill Link
    Heatproof
    Anger Point

Hey bud. This sort of thing is super clunky to do with binary hacking.

Especially since your chosen base is Emerald.

The entirety of Emerald has been decompiled by some awesomely clever people meaning nowadays you can edit the source code at will, basically

There is even a resource that peeps have put together that upgrades the whole game, battle engine (including all abilities)4, all Pokémans and items through Gen VIII.

Doing it the hard way via binary (retroactively changing the pre-made ROM of the game), particularly because you're just starting out is definitely not recommended. You're only handicapping yourself tbh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Hey there,
    Game Development is for fangames only, not ROM hacks. I'm moving your thread to the Binary ROM Hacking forum, you will find help more easily here.

Okay, thank you.

Hey bud. This sort of thing is super clunky to do with binary hacking.

Especially since your chosen base is Emerald.

The entirety of Emerald has been decompiled by some awesomely clever people meaning nowadays you can edit the source code at will, basically

There is even a resource that peeps have put together that upgrades the whole game, battle engine (including all abilities)4, all Pokémans and items through Gen VIII.

Doing it the hard way via binary (retroactively changing the pre-made ROM of the game), particularly because you're just starting out is definitely not recommended. You're only handicapping yourself tbh.

Okay cool, I am super new to this so I don't know all the ins and outs of what goes on with coding. Can you send me a link to said decompilation and rescource page? I don't know where any of that is.

Back