• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm not understanding what I'm even doing in this game

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    So I got Pokemon Moon a while back. It's a fun game, but there's one problem: I don't really understand anything at all. I'm confused by almost everything in the game, and don't know a significent amount of stuff. I sorta know how the battles work, but even then I don't know what moves are the best and what some of them do, nor do I understand the items (Or for the ones that I do, I don't know when and how many times I should use them). I'm at the second island at this point at some water cave, but I don't understand anything I'm doing and I feel like I'm making a bunch of mistakes.

So..... how do I start understanding what's happening or what I should be doing?

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • Have you ever played a Pokémon game before or are you brand new trainer?
    If you are new then I suggest reading up on Pokémon types and learning the advantages and disadvantages of types/moves.

If your confused on the storyline then I cant help you as I am yet to pick up a copy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    Have you ever played a Pokémon game before or are you brand new trainer?
    If you are new then I suggest reading up on Pokémon types and learning the advantages and disadvantages of types/moves.

If your confused on the storyline then I cant help you as I am yet to pick up a copy.

This is the first one I've played.

I know most of the types and stuff for the most part, it's most of the other stuff I don't know.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • So in answer to you not knowing what moves to use and what they do. There are lots of guides online about what moves to use as well as in-game if you go to your pokemon roster and click on a pokemon. Go to their moves and hover over the move, this should give you a summary of what that move does as well base power, secondary effects and accuracy. As a beginner that is the best thing to do and not focus on anything else since you're still trying to get a feel for the style of the game and its general mechanics.

Edit: I'd also maybe look up what Pokemon are, in general, special or physical attackers after you catch them so you know what kind of attacks are better suited for it.

As for the items, I'd again say that since you are a beginner not to focus too much on the items. I would recommend only focusing on the potions, revives, elixirs/ethers and Exp Share. and of course the Z Crystals since that is the whole point of this game. After that though, I would just not worry about the other ones since majority of those are for competitive use. As a beginner its better to just understand the basic mechanics and ideas rather than try to learn everything at once. That'd be a major information overload.

As you play more, you can begin adding more strategies to your playing style such as other items, more competitive movesets, mega evolution, breeding, evs and ivs.

For now though it'll be a lot of trial and error to get used to the game and figure out what does and doesn't work. And it will be frustrating but of course if you have any questions at all, we have plenty of people here ready to answer any questions you have.

On a side note, any questions about the storyline and where to go and such, I'm happy to assist with.

Back