• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improvements in the anime?

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Agreed. The themes get kind of redundant, and the producers need to "spice" things up. Giving James b00bs was a start. Now we're ready for the big leagues.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    While it would be interesting to see a more mature spin off of pokemon, it'll never happen. They have made spin off's before. With that one guy who is supposed to be Gold. I could never remember his name in the show, but they had some episodes based off other characters, so that's as much as a spin off as you're gonna get.

If you really want to look for a more mature form of pokemon (blood, violence, cursing, bizarre storyline), stick with fanfiction. I seriously recommend Pokemon Master by Ace Sanchez.

Years
    I don't need blood (That would be weird)
    Or even older characters (Though it would be nice)
    Just give me an ACTUAL FREAKING PLOT.
    In between gyms....give Ash and the gang something other to do then get into shennanigans with Team Rocket (Though I love TR dearly)
    I don't want to see the same thing over and over and over and over again :/ (I'm sure even younger kids agree on that)
    Though I have to admit that the way they battle is getting interesting..since well...they are starting to give pokemon other options then just blasting crap at each other :P
    Like all the new spinning moves. Another thing...don't have them settle EVERYTHING with Pokemon...if someone insults me I'm not gonna say "Ya well I can beat you in a pokemon battle! D<"
    Heck no...Imma deck the guy >( (Though there doesn't have to be blood....I'd just like for some of the encounters to be more...realistic?)

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2019
    I remember reading on a wiki about Pokemon red/blue this:

Spoiler:

I'm not sure if its all the same people making the anime/games/etc from back then, but considering this, I doubt pokemon would ever have blood... Which is a good thing in my eyes.

Edit: I'm not even sure of how much of said statement is true, really, but yeah, a more "mature" themed series would be cool, though I'd like to see it done without blood. I don't think blood is needed for something to be "mature" Just the general themes of the show, could dabble more into love, etc, maybe give Ash a love interest and see how that developed.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I'm very sorry guys, and I do believe a spin-off of Pokémon with a well-developed plot - I don't care, the protagonists can be Brawly and Mr. Contesta, just as long as it has plot - would be a glorious thing, but the fact of the matter is that it won't happen. Kids won't look at the ratings for shows, and parents rarely-if-ever doubt the childishness of a series such as Pokémon. They've taken a postive step with the handling of Sinnoh and its inhabitants, but if you want Pokémon media with Doduos spurting blood all over the place, there's actually this really cool off-shoot of the main series. It's called fanfiction.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    No, there shouldn't be a spin-off of any kind.

I highly disagree. Okay. The manga is more mature than the anime. What if they made an animated version of the manga as a show? You have right there a more mature Pokemon anime spin off that is already liked as a manga. It has a plot, it has a somewhat more ... dark theme in that violence does occur and the heroes lives are in fact in danger, for instance. And I don't recall it being particularly R rated in that it pulled these things off without making it unacceptable for children.

The only question is could they make a book/manga into a TV show without screwing it up.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I highly disagree. Okay. The manga is more mature than the anime. What if they made an animated version of the manga as a show?

Because that already exists in the form of the manga.

The purpose of having a franchise of games and promoting it via other media (in Pokemon's case: Cards, toys, the various mangas, movies, and the animated series) is so no two forms of media are a like. They're aimed at different audiences and different demographics for different purposes. That's also why none of these are straight adapatations of the games. Why would I want to see the anime go by the rigorous game mechanics of the games when I can get that experience from the games? Why would I want a "Manga-like anime" when I could just go read Pokemo Special?

It also doesn't help that distribution of manga is much more limited. DVDs are sold everywhere from video rental stores all the way up to big chain stores like Wal-Mart, book stores like Barnes and Noble, and so on. Manga generally does not have a wide variety available in book stores (usually comparable to the graphic novels available from Marvel and DC) so specialty stores usually have a good variety. These specialty stores usually are local comic book stores or table-board gaming stores.

I think it's Dawn's pokemon. Buneary, Pachirisu, Piplup. My brothers stopped watching once Dawn came into the picture. In the original series, everyone knew about Misty's crush on Ash. In AG, May appeared to have a crush on Ash in the beginning and then later developed feelings for Drew.

That is shipping, and is in no way canon.

Last edited:
    Years

The purpose of having a franchise of games and promoting it via other media (in Pokemon's case: Cards, toys, the various mangas, movies, and the animated series) is so no two forms of media are a like. They're aimed at different audiences and different demographics for different purposes. That's also why none of these are straight adapatations of the games. Why would I want to see the anime go by the rigorous game mechanics of the games when I can get that experience from the games? Why would I want a "Manga-like anime" when I could just go read Pokemo Special?
    Plenty of other mangas have animes that are basically the same. InuYasha, FMA, and Bleach come to mind. I don't understand your reasoning about them being aimed at different audiences. That seems to support the idea of a more mature spinoff anime, to capture a new audience. :\

I, personally, would love to watch a Pokemon Special Anime, though I do think it might work better as a 2-hour special episode or something.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

It also doesn't help that distribution of manga is much more limited. DVDs are sold everywhere from video rental stores all the way up to big chain stores like Wal-Mart, book stores like Barnes and Noble, and so on. Manga generally does not have a wide variety available in book stores (usually comparable to the graphic novels available from Marvel and DC) so specialty stores usually have a good variety. These specialty stores usually are local comic book stores or table-board gaming stores.

That is shipping, and is in no way canon.

Your opinion is not shared by everyone, and actually may well be the minority. Look at Final Fantasy 7 and Advent Children. Twilight and whatever the movie version is reffered to as. There is very much a market, and a big enough one to consitute such things.

All it would take is for them to do the conversion well and there is little doubt in my mind it would be well accepted.

Also, shipping is fun. I would be hard pressed to say there is not a large crowd of people that take great joy out of the possibilities and may be disappointed if they find these possibilities less likely in newer generations.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Plenty of other mangas have animes that are basically the same. InuYasha, FMA, and Bleach come to mind. I don't understand your reasoning about them being aimed at different audiences. That seems to support the idea of a more mature spinoff anime, to capture a new audience. :\

I, personally, would love to watch a Pokemon Special Anime, though I do think it might work better as a 2-hour special episode or something.

Your examples basically make no sense in comparison to Pokemon. Those are all franchises that started as mangas. The manga is the main form of media that everything else is based off of.

In Pokemon, the GAMES are where the Pokemon franchise originate and they are the main focus. All other media from Pokemon are based off the games.

You also forget that Pokemon doesn't exist to capture a new audience. It doesn't NEED to capture a new audience. It's the second biggest franchise of video games of ALL TIME. The movies top the box office in Japan and Cartoon Network is very happy with the ratings they get in the US. You think it needs fixing to "capture a new audience." I say don't fix something that isn't broken.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    PkMnTrainer Yellow said:
    I highly disagree. Okay. The manga is more mature than the anime.

Which manga? Oh right, you said "The manga" which imples Pokémon Adventures to most of that fandom.

But it's kodomo just like the animé. No difference really.

What if they made an animated version of the manga as a show? You have right there a more mature Pokemon anime spin off that is already liked as a manga. It has a plot, it has a somewhat more ... dark theme in that violence does occur and the heroes lives are in fact in danger, for instance. And I don't recall it being particularly R rated in that it pulled these things off without making it unacceptable for children.

There's nothing mature about that manga. Everyone knows that its fans try make it out to be some mature version of Pokémon even though it's as childish as the games and animé. Seriously, it's rated A in book stores. If they made a show about it, it would be aimed at the same target audiance as the animé already does. As a result, not aiming at a mature audiance and making that argument useless.

Oh, and it's too fast to ever be converted to anykind of long running show.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Your opinion is not shared by everyone, and actually may well be the minority. Look at Final Fantasy 7 and Advent Children. Twilight and whatever the movie version is reffered to as. There is very much a market, and a big enough one to consitute such things.

None of what I posted was an opinion. Pokemon is not Final Fantasy, or Twilight. It's Pokemon. It's doing it's job extremely well and achieving the sales and success it wants. Why try for this new mythical "mature" audience when it's already making big bucks with the current children + handful of hanger-ons from years ago?

Also, shipping is fun. I would be hard pressed to say there is not a large crowd of people that take great joy out of the possibilities and may be disappointed if they find these possibilities less likely in newer generations.

I never said it isn't fun. Do what you like. But it isn't canon, which is how you represented it.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The people who are opposed to the idea, are you saying that you would not enjoy a more mature spinoff?

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    rN Haza said:
    The people who are opposed to the idea, are you saying that you would not enjoy a more mature spinoff?

Why would I enjoy magical creatures spurt blood in fights and hear Dawn shout "Bastard" to someone she didn't like every now and then? There are shows that are for mature audiances and would be better than that tank job of a mature animé. Come on, I don't want to see Ash get together with Generic Girl #567 in a kodomo franchise.

Really, the mature Pokémon animé idea is as stupid as the Pokmon live-action movie idea.

Let me repeat this to drill it in your heads people: Pokémon is kodomo. 6-year old kids are the bulk of this franchise.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013

The question you should be asking is what in the world do you people expect from Pokemon? What indication has the franchise ever given of having a gore bath of blood and sex in animated television be something that fits in the franchise?

I'd suggest you go elsewhere for that. Pokemon hasn't changed much in 10+years, and to think that a "mature" (not) anime fits in with the franchise shows you haven't been paying much attention.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its not like big boobs have never occured to the writers or even girl crazy characters. And for the record, mature does not have to mean bloody and sexual. They could simply be older and more mature characters themselves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Its not like big boobs have never occured to the writers or even girl crazy characters.

The breasts were a one time visual gag. And it passes for Japanese standards but didn't in the dub.

"Girl Crazy" characters doesn't make it mature.

And for the record, mature does not have to mean bloody and sexual.
    Having read dozens of posts in numerous threads like this one, that is exactly what "mature" means to most people.

It still doesn't make any sense. You want a "mature" part of Pokemon? Go read whatever manga ya'll are referring to. Let the anime do it's job, and the various mangas do their jobs.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    rN Haza said:
    Its not like big boobs have never occured to the writers or even girl crazy characters. And for the record, mature does not have to mean bloody and sexual. They could simply be older and more mature characters themselves.

There would be no point then since it woud be the same as the current TV series that, at its base, is childish .

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Its just another thing that they desire of theirs and those are mature things but they dont define it. Older characters is a start.

Back