• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In other news today: Asteroid almost hit earth we survived by luck.

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
Years
  • How could you guy's not know about this? Besides, I think that thing is supposed to turn around laterin three decades and hit us anyways....... That is if I don't have my astroids mixed up....

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    A 30-50 meter-wide asteroid
    Nothing impressive would've happened. It'd take something almost big enough to shatter the Earth to destroy our ever-tenacious race anyway.

I heard a bigger one is coming soon and there going to need no knock it off course
    Here's your 'useful application' for nuclear weapons.

Last edited:

Trikip

Can you Handel this?
    Years
  • While stuff like this is very serious, I think we should just ignore it and enjoy life while we can. But I mean, if we know something is coming then we should, of course, try to prevent it.

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • I remember something like this happening when I was a little kid. They mentioned on the evening news that there was a good chance that an asteroid might hit us, and if it did, we'd all die. Then they left us to think about that all night. If I recall correctly, I was hugged to death that night by my mum, but no asteroid.
    But yeah, these things always blow over. We have ways of defending ourselves with missiles and the like, I'm sure those brilliant guys and gals over at nasa could figure something out if the worst came to the worst.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • It was a small asteroid, but definitely big enough to cause some real wreckage. If it landed in the ocean, there would have been a tsunami. :x But yeah, it's not going to end the human race or anything like that, lol.
    We were this close to facing an asteroid hitting our beloved planet screwing us all.
    Ew... The last thing I want to do is be screwed by an asteroid.

.... so does this mean that similar things will happen in the future?
    No. Its just one asteroid. It's not like asteroids travel in packs or something.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • An asteroid will cause global apocalypse in 2012. Or a nuclear war. Or a pandemic of super AIDS. Or elephants will suddenly start raining from the sky. I called it.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeaaah.. I was stuck in a hospital all day, and didn't even know this happened until late that night. Someone told me over MSN, and I laughed.. >_>; Just because I couldn't believe something like that happened, and my family had no clue.

yuki3056

Grass Types own
    Years
  • It was a small asteroid, but definitely big enough to cause some real wreckage. If it landed in the ocean, there would have been a tsunami. :x But yeah, it's not going to end the human race or anything like that, lol. Ew... The last thing I want to do is be screwed by an asteroid.

No. Its just one asteroid. It's not like asteroids travel in packs or something.

Omg I was literally LOLing at these comments I dont know why but they struck me as very very funny!

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
  • Wow, yeah, I think I heard of this from one of my friends also. Its kinda scary to think about what a close call this was, if this story is accurate.

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
  • Well we are all going to die someday at least this would have been reallty memorable....

...wait no it wouldent we'd all be dead

Thats bad

But yes it will happen again soon and again and again untill one day *KABLOOM*

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    But we all know it was just Kal-El getting mistaken for again. :D
    Yup. He needs to just come down herez so I can getz his ottograph and be liek OMG! I GOT Kal-EL's OTTOGRUPH!!

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • "It was small—but had it hit, the space rock classified as '2009 DD45' could have created the same kind of destruction as a small nuclear device."

"Not only wasn't it detected early—but it passed with-in the moon's orbit—at 40,000 miles above the Earth's surface. That height is just about twice the altitude of most communications satellites—and a real near-miss by astronomical standards."

It's not a lifeform-killing asteroid but it could
    do quite some damage. :cer_blankstare:

No i head about this on sky news, it happened but something else to note uis that I heard a bigger one is coming soon and there going to need no knock it off course

You may be thinking of Apophis...

Apophis will come close by Earth in 2027 and MAY hit what's known as a 'Gravitational Keyhole'. If it does, that COULD alter it's orbit in such a way as to create an impact in 2039. However, even in the unlikely event that it does hit a Keyhole, that is just as likely to alter it's orbit further away in it's 2039 pass.

Only a [highlight]1 in 45,000 chance[/highlight] of the end. You're more likely to be killed in a road accident in the next few months. Here's what NASA say: "Using criteria developed in this research, new measurements possible in 2013 (if not 2011) will likely confirm that in 2036 Apophis will quietly pass more than 49 million km (30.5 million miles; 0.32 AU) from Earth on Easter Sunday of that year (April 13)".

Last edited:

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    When I found out about this I was shocked, but thankfully it didn't hit. If it did, I never would have gotten the chance to say goodbye to my loved ones..

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • It really is not that big of a deal. If it had crashed into New York, or Shanghai, or some other city, then sure, a lot of people in those areas might die but the entire human population would be pretty much in tact and most people would never know what had happened.

Think about it: Cities make up only a tiny fraction of the surface area of the Earth, the rest is unpopulated land or the ocean. And a 30-50 meter object is not going to hurt anybody if it lands in one of those areas, which is the great majority of the surface area of the Earth.

So we did not "almost" get astroided.

Years
  • This was a very close call astronomically, 40,000 miles is very close in space. Had this rock hit the Earth it would of had the explosive power equivalent to the asteroid that hit Tunguska in 1908. That asteroid had the explosive power of about ten to fifteen megatons of TNT. This is equivalent to the blast from the Castle Bravo nuclear weapon. Even if it had exploded over the ocean, it would caused large tsunamis.

Back