• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indie

Converge

Take One Last Breath
Years
  • Indie music is slowly but surely climbing its way to being my favorite genre. Bands along the lines of; This Town Needs Guns, Cloud City, and Modest Mouse, are simply amazing.

This is a topic merely to discuss bands and the genre overall :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    "Indie" isn't a genre, it's a status. A musician or group of musicians of any genre (and any sort of art for that matter, film and literature come to mind) can be labeled "indie," as long as they're signed to an independent label. :I So, pretty broad topic. I try not to care about status and just listen to what I happen to enjoy, though I admittedly avoid mainstream artists to keep my hipster persona intact. u3u

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
  • "Indie" isn't a genre, it's a status. A musician or group of musicians of any genre (and any sort of art for that matter, film and literature come to mind) can be labeled "indie," as long as they're signed to an independent label. :I So, pretty broad topic. I try not to care about status and just listen to what I happen to enjoy, though I admittedly avoid mainstream artists to keep my hipster persona intact. u3u

He's referring to indie rock in general I'd assume.. But Modest mouse wouldn't be "indie" anymore considering they signed to a major label some time ago. I honestly don't get why indie is considered a genre either. I mean it's alright if you say "indie rock" or "indie pop" but just referring to indie as a genre in itself is stupid.

I also avoid MODERN mainstream, I just don't see how most of it can pass off as music. Nickleback are trying WAY to hard, rockstar is terrible... And ke$ha don't get me started. And don't think im judging anyones music taste, it's subjective after all and I'm allowed to state my opinion on certain "artists".

Also just like to say This Town Needs Guns is AMAZING.

Years
  • "Indie" isn't a genre, it's a status. A musician or group of musicians of any genre (and any sort of art for that matter, film and literature come to mind) can be labeled "indie," as long as they're signed to an independent label. :I
    Very true. And am I the only one who thinks that as soon as you start to call yourself indie you're playing into labels and all those things that make you less indie? I could be wrong. I don't know what bands are considered indie.

Years
  • I don't really give a damn about whether indie is a genre or not or whether something is indie or not, I more or less just listen to the music. Anyway, point is, I think people know what general style of music is suggested when somebody says indie.

Anyway, yeah, it's a really broad genre in my books, as in I like Cut Off Your Hands and Foals, some people call Broken Social Scene indie and I love them. Some people call The Strokes indie, and I like them too. Basically anything under that sort of alternative-in-the-sense-that-it-isn't-like-emo/Paramore-alternative rock is good with me.

Back