• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indigo League; Japanese vs. English Dub?

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2012
    Hello,

Recently I wanted to re-visit my childhood and decided to watch the entire original season (1-5), it's funny how I still remember some of the words, I refuse to learn or even look at any of the Pokémon in the new generations; 1&2 is where it is at. I played the heck out of all the games up to diamond where it came to an end for me (it got too 'new')

Anyway onto my question, I have gotten up to episode 57 and have noticed something odd about the scripts; to me it seems that some of the scenes do not match what they are saying. I feel that I am missing something like at the end of 'Squirtle squad', how did they get out there, all the dialogue does not seem to explain what happened, it almost seems like they skipped a scene. Sometimes I also feel that the end of the episodes is quickly drawn to a close, such as 'The breeding centre secret'. The story seems to be going fine and then suddenly the criminals are caught and the episode is ended in a matter of minutes, not to mention any explanation of where that darn weepinbell came from originally.

My question is; are there any differences between the original Japanese versions and the English ones? It seems to me that they were cut down to fit in the 20 minute slots, what am I missing?

Thanks!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    There are a lot of both art and dialogue edits in the dub. Sometimes 4Kids had to change dialogue because a Japanese joke doesn't make sense in English, but there are some random changes though, the most notable being 4Kids saying Brock's mum died, but in Japanese that was never said. However, it's mostly the fault of the storytelling and pacing of the original Japanese episodes. If you want to read about the edits from Japanese to the dub, you can find them here: https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/kanto_list.html

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    First, in my opinion, you are TOTALLY missing out if you don't play Black/White. They are far superior to DPPt if y'ask me. And I think I prefer them over RSE, too.

But anyway, I personally prefer the dubbed anime. I have watched a few subbed episodes due to some of them not being dubbed for various reasons, and I couldn't stand it. The voices irritated me, and I really don't like reading subtitles haha.

Back