• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Internal Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2014
    Well, I borrowed Red, Blue, and Yellow from my French Teacher and I've been hearing of this 'Internal Battery Dying.' I have a GBA SP and I have no idea of an internal battery in a game. Is this something GB-GBC only or does it pass on into the GBA?
    Also, what happens if the internal battery dies? Does it delete your save or something?

I once got a used Sapphire, but at the menu, it said the internal clock had run dry. I traded it in for a good one.

But seriously, what is this internal battery dying?

Years
  • RAM is random access memory. RAM is the only form of memory that old GB/GBC, probably even most GBA games use to save data. The only problem with RAM is that, if RAM loses power, all of the data stored in the memory is lost.

To get around this, cartridge-based games kept the RAM constantly running using a watch battery. Most of them use a CR-2032, which is one of the most common sizes. When the battery dies, it needs to be replaced in order for the game to save again. Since Gold/Silver had a clock, it ate away at the battery life much quicker than usual.

The only thing that happens when the internal battery dies is that the game loses its' ability to save any data. The game does get harmed. You can actually replace the batteries yourself, but it requires a bit of soldering.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back