• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Internal clock not working properly (already changed battery)

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2015
    Some days ago I bought a Pokemon Silver cartridge and a Pokemon Gold cartridge (both used, original and japanese version).
    After playing a couple of minutes, I noticed that neither Gold or Silver were keeping track of the real time whenever I turned off my GBC.
    For example, if I started a save with the clock time set at 10:00 AM and played till 11:00 AM, saved, turned off the GBC and turned it on 5 hours later, the game's time would still be 11:00 AM.
    Also, the Gold cartridge lost its saved data whenever I removed the cartridge.

I looked for the problem and read that probably the batteries were about to die, so I bought new ones and changed them.

Now Gold saves correctly but both Silver and Gold still don't keep track of the time, and that is really annoying because I can't play the games the way its meant to be.
    Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Years
    Ugh that sucks. Well, few things come to my mind.

1. The game is somehow broken.

2. Battery or those battery pins are broken, which wouldn't make sense if it can save normally. I had this problem right before my battery dies.

3. You have bad batteries, or you damaged battery or the pins, or you didnt put them in right.

I dont know, if its not 2/3, I'd say the game is too old or damaged on the place that deals with in-game time.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    If saving works OK, but time does not advance without the Gameboy being on, it means that the oscillator in your cartridge is either broken, or not powered by the battery for whatever reason. That's the thing that keeps track of the time when you turn off the console.

Internal clock not working properly (already changed battery)

(the thing in the top left corner, covered with grey tape)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix a broken oscillator or whether it can be done at all.

Back