• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Sexism

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Recently I've been thinking about how much your gender actually matters online. Whether if you're a girl, males are more likely to talk to you (or if you post a picture, even if you're average EVERYONE thinks you're good looking), or if you're a guy people are more likely to assume you're "tough" and therefore have to be macho, in an Internet sense.

No, that's not really true. The only thing I ever noticed about online "sexism" is that males often seem more intimidating than females, but even that depends completely on the person in question because I've also noticed the other way around. When someone here has their gender specifically set to something and you've only seen one or two posts of them you're quick to jump to conclusions because that's the only information you have, but that's just natural and it's like that in the real world as well.

And no, not everyone thinks you're good looking when you're not just because you are a girl and because they discriminate, but because they want to be nice. Also, the only comments you usually see are positive ones, because people who have something negative to say usually don't comment at all, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't assume or expect anything from online males either. The longer you've spent on the internet the less prejudice about people you will have regarding gender. People who assume males on the internet to be tough or whatever are just inexperienced.

bojjenclon

I fail, like, a lot
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 20, 2015
    I think sexism on the Internet really depends on which corner you're in. Some places are more prone to it than others. Overall, it seems that the days of the "everyone online is male" mentality are pretty much over. Now, I will be fair and say that I usually assume people are male until proven otherwise, but I think that's mostly just because I myself am male. We (humans) have a tendency to think of others in terms of ourselves, and since most people online are just faceless names, we tend to project ourselves on them until we know how they are really are as a person.

As for whether one gender is treated better than the other, I don't think so. Not any more than is done in real life anyway. In most cultures it is generally taught that women are more sensitive than men, and as such women are often treated a bit differently. People are usually "softer" or "gentler" with a woman than they are with a man. I personally don't subscribe to this idea, as I've known very emotional men and women that were emotional rocks, but the idea persists nonetheless. However, as mentioned earlier, it really just depends on where you are.

Years
  • No, that's not really true. The only thing I ever noticed about online "sexism" is that males often seem more intimidating than females, but even that depends completely on the person in question because I've also noticed the other way around. When someone here has their gender specifically set to something and you've only seen one or two posts of them you're quick to jump to conclusions because that's the only information you have, but that's just natural and it's like that in the real world as well.

And no, not everyone thinks you're good looking when you're not just because you are a girl and because they discriminate, but because they want to be nice. Also, the only comments you usually see are positive ones, because people who have something negative to say usually don't comment at all, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't assume or expect anything from online males either. The longer you've spent on the internet the less prejudice about people you will have regarding gender. People who assume males on the internet to be tough or whatever are just inexperienced.

Or they go make a comment only for a moderator to remove it! The end result is ultimately the same though, people only really see the positive comments made about them.

Unless the male in question is me in which case I'm sure everyone here knows I am PC's most powerful member.

Back