• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPod Game Boy Emulator

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    Well I don't know if you guys have seen this yet but...
    You can get Pokemon on your ipod! So if any of your games are broken you can just play it on your ipod.
    what you need:
    ipod (anything except 2nd gen nano and 5.5g ipod(this one may still work with Linux))
    computer running Linux/windows/mac OS
    usb connector

how to do it:
    There are to ways you can use rockbox or ipodlinux.
    the websites are:
    rockbox- www rockbox org
    ipodlinux- www ipodlinux org

note: there are supposed to be decimals in the previous links

I can't really tell you exactly how to do it but I can give you an outline:
    ipodlinux:
    Go to ipodlinux's website and download the latest installer.
    Plug in your ipod and mac sure it is enabled for disk use
    if it doesn't automatically enter disk mode force it into disk mode by holding menu and center button until it resets and then emeditely hold down play and center
    Then run the installer
    If this installer doesn't work go to the ipodlinux forums and search around for an installer that will work
    Once you have it installed you will need Iboy (a game boy emulator)
    you can get this from Ipodlinux's website or from the forums if your install method didn't include it.
    If you have trouble installing go to the forums.
    Once you have successfully installed Iboy go and get the roms of your favorite gameboy games (such as Pokemon) and drag them into your ipod's rom directory.
    Then launch it and start playing
    For gameboy advance try searching ipodlinux's forums for an emulator

rockbox:
    I hate to say but I don't know how to install rockbox :P. so got to the rockbox website and search around on it and in the forums.

advantages in comparison to gameboy:
    -it has a backlight (gameboy didn't have that till advance and SP)
    -It is an emulator so you can have multiple saves
    -It has a rechargable battery so you don't waste money on batteries
    -All the games are located either on the hard drive or the flash drive so you aren't switching through all kinds of damageable cartridges
    -It has a controlled speed so you can fast forward throuh the boring parts :D

disadvantages in comparison to gameboy:
    -some games will not work on this
    -it cannot use gameshark
    -it cannot link to other devices for multiplayer

other facts

This may void your ipod warranty. I am not sure

This cannot damage your ipod. If you ever need to you can restore you ipod to the way it was when you bought it using itunes

It's free

If you get a frowny face on start up and you cannot fix your ipod by restoring... It's not ipodlinux's fault what causes this is some piece of hardware is damaged inside your ipod and it cannot run.

One more thing...

If your ipod ever freezes hold down menu and the center button to reset your ipod

If your ipod won't enter disk mode reset it then hold down play and the center button

If you can still run your ipod but you think somethings wrong with the hardware you can run a diagnostics test by resting it and then holding down fast forward and rewind.

I hope you enjoy your Ipod-gameboy

Last edited:

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • Since this is a topic about emulation, I'll move it over to the Emulation forums, where it would be better fitting.

~moved~

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    O didn't know where to put it :P. Thought this would be the best because Pokemon metal versions usually have internal battery dieing after about a 6 years.

Last edited:
    Back