• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is eating food before you pay for it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Like eating food you get at the grocery store deli before you've paid even if you do fully intend to pay before you exit the store?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Thats a good question. I got into an argument with my boyfriend about that yesterday and I believe the answer to that is no because you have the money and you are pretty much going to pay for it by the time you get on the line.

:t354:TG

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I see no issue with eating what you are going to pay for. Why would it be a problem at all as long as you hold up your end and pay for it at some point?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    If it is something you got from the deli which is priced by weight, and you are eating it thus reducing the weight/price, it is wrong.

Otherwise probably not, but I'd generally avoid the situation myself.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Delis calculate the weight /before/ they give you food, generally...

Anyway, we do this at restaurants don't we? It's all about store policy, and every grocery store I've been to hasn't cared very much, mostly because it's very difficult to stop people from doing it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Delis calculate the weight /before/ they give you food, generally...

Anyway, we do this at restaurants don't we? It's all about store policy, and every grocery store I've been to hasn't cared very much, mostly because it's very difficult to stop people from doing it.

Exactly. LEGALLY it's not a crime here in California because an element of shoplifting is you have to actually leave the establishment with the unpaid goods.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Like eating food you get at the grocery store deli before you've paid even if you do fully intend to pay before you exit the store?

Nothing wrong with it so long as you keep the wrapping/packaging that came with it so that it can be rung in at the till. There was a story about this very subject not too long ago, about a pregnant woman and her husband and children shopping in a store. She ate something but forgot to pay for it when they checked out. There was quite the controversy about the whole episode at the time.

Years
  • One of the most annoying things I would have to do working in a supermarket was scan half eaten, sticky, crumb covered packets of food. Or empty drinks bottles that had the contents smeared over the outside.

If you have to hand the packet to someone before you can pay for it (for scanning on the till or whatever) then it's exceptionally rude to eat it before hand. No one wants their hands covered in your slobber, crumbs or some unidentified sticky substance.

If you don't have to hand it over to then pay for it then na, I don't have a problem with it at all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nan and Pop keep saying "just drink the water til you get to the counter", I'm way too cautious of a person and whenever we buy water in the shops, I don't drink it til we get to the counter. :x I mean even if I'm really thirsty... I just don't. XD I've never considered that with actual food though, I'm fine with waiting for that.

I have nothing against those who do that, though, I just think it's better if you wait until you get to the counter unless you're either:
    1. really hungry
    2. really thirsty
    3. dying, or have some medical condition where you need a product instantly

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't think the problem is if they aren't sure if you're gonna pay for it, but because technically since you didn't pay for it yet, it isn't yours yet. It is still the store's, and if for whatever reason (you don't know what may happen; you might all of a sudden feel reaally sick or idek, something which makes you change your mind) you don't want the product anymore, the store has to be able to take it back and if you opened it already, they can't and you'd be forced to buy it, and this would just result in so many complications that I think it's kind of natural the policy exists.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • This is a discussion question that belongs in Other Chat, so I'm gonna move it over there.

Either you forgot to move it, or LW just moved in back.

But still, I thought we already had a topic about this in OC? Or did it die out/was it just about drinks?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • This is a discussion question and if anywhere it belongs in Other Chat, so I am uncomfortable having it in this section. As it's obviously not wanted there either and I see no alternative place for it, I'm going to lock it.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back