• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it just me....?

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
    I know what you mean! I'll probably just make one stay small and cute to follow me, and the others, let them evolve...

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I did the Ash's team thing with Pokemon Yellow, (Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, & Pidgeot, with a Haunter, Butterfree and Primeape in my PC to call on when needed), but after that nope, always evolved my Pokemon ASAP, I remember I did consider doing an Ash team with Crystal but couldn't be bothered with Trading for starters, with HG/SS I may consider doing it again, I have my JPN HG, and im importing SS from the US and I may even buy a second HG when it comes to the UK so I can get all the Pokemon, so i'll be able to do some "FunRuns".

masterfun101

Bow down, noobs.
    Years
    yeah me too

I sometimes think about holding evolution just later. Sometimes I just like lower stage Pokemon more, but I usually end up evolving them anyways.

same here. i end up getting them to thirty and then im like "dang this is hard" and evolve

Years
    Is it just me, or does HG and SS not make you want to evolve some of your pokemon?

when i played gold way back when. i play thru with out Evolving my team. i had the team Ash had in the show and it was hard has heck! cynidquil, totodial, bayleef, noctowl, pikachu, and a heracross. i don't know how i beat the E4 like that twice! my pokes did have flamethrower, and hydro pump and all those moves at low levels so that helped but it was still hard!
    I totally understand what you're saying. :)

I think this happens more when you are really enjoying the game and want to take your time. But I must admit, the only games I did this more than a few levels was the original G/S. Sometimes I did it so my pokemon would learn moves a little early; other times I just thought "Wouldn't it be cool to have my Charmander evolve at level 95!?!?" <----I never made it that far.....I always broke down around LV50 or so.

Back then, you also had to be careful about doing this because there was no move relearner. So if you evolved your pokemon at a weird level, you might miss a move. The only way you could fix that was to have Pokemon Stadium 2 and beat the E4 on that. The prize was ONE move relearned. (ususally did this so that the LV 70 Lugia in Gold version could learn Aeroblast!)

I've never done it for a whole team, though (just my starter). It sounds fun! But I imagine you'd have to be a few levels (or many levels) higher than usual, just because of the power difference between evolutions. I bet Lance's Dragonite would be a royal pain.....

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    The way the game plays, and with the crisp, clean graphics, I don't like making my Pokémon evolve.

craZ pokefan

BEST POKEMON FAN EVER!
    Years
    i didnt want to evolve my cyndaquil in my soulsilver cuz he lookt so cute following me! but i wanted to teach him blast burn
    so i had to evolve him i evolved him when i had the chance to get blast burn/hydro pump/frenzy plant

Is it just me....?

Click here to warm me up so i'll hatch!
    Get your own at Dinomon!

Gov. Marley

Wakes the Thought Police
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    xD
    I feel that way, too. I almost want to play like I did in Sapphire, where I had a Level 62 Torchic taking on the E4 (Steven was rather vulnerable to fire, if I remember correctly). It got to level 73 before I finally broke down and evolved it... unfortunately, it's still a level 74 Combusken, 'cause it's awfully difficult to get substantial experience for such a high-level fire type...

In SoulSilver, though, I'm taking through a team of my favorites, 'cause I like having them follow me around. Typhlosion, Meganium, Pidgeot, Sandslash, Vaporeon (only 'cause I just don't like Feraligatr... vanity, hurrah.), and Ampharos. Reasonably powerful Pokémon that look good following me around, yay. (I'd rather be followed around by a Cyndaquil than a Typhlosion... but I almost always have someone else following me, anyway.)
    Though, I'd feel pretty neat, as a cute little girl with something like Arceus following me and doing whatever I say... but it'd wear off fast. :[

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2009
    I know what you mean, I love my Quilava and Pichu and I don't think I will ever evolve them. :)

Back