• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Is mini-modding unavoidable for people who aspire to become staff?

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
    And I'm not saying that I'm one of those people.
    I was just wondering, whether everyone who was promoted to staff "mini-modded" before being voted by other staff members to become staff. And yes, I've read this part of the FAQ.
    The question in the title can also be asked as: "Do you have to mini-mod to become staff?"
    Also, is mini-modding necessarily a bad thing?

Thank you in advance to the ones who would answer.
    EDIT:I cannot quite grasp what mini-modding generally means, so can you please also explain what it truly is?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Mini-modding is generally looked down upon, actually. D:

So, it probably hurts chances, more than raising them..

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Those who aspire to become staff generally go about helping moderators in ways other than pointing out the obvious by reporting threads, which I think everyone knows. I myself don't see the problem with some mini-modding... but if you're someone who wants to become a moderator some day, mini-modding, as stated, isn't something you should be doing. Remaining nameless behind the scenes is not at all the case. Reports are looked and reviewed upon during the selection of staff. If you report often and are a respected member (which is up to you to do), then you have a higher chance at becoming a moderator than someone who goes around saying "dis dread shud b locked".

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
    I see.
    I've always thought that staff have a hard time when they get a lot of reports a day, in effect, they are unable to remember who sends these couple of reports in particular. That said, it put me into a certain thinking that they don't like reports that much, though that doesn't mean mini-modding is a better resort.
    Nevertheless, my questions are answered, and in a quite understandable manner, too.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    All staff members prefer reports over someone doing their job for them...

Terrain

|distinction.2009-15|
    Years
    And that made me see that staff members are not relieved of their jobs at all (in contrary to my previous belief) when other people allegedly help them by doing their job for them (while instead, they point at threads in similarity to reporting, though it adds to their post count, in a way, making mini-modding = spam).
    I guess mini-modding is different from what I previously thought of it, after all.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Having a member do my job really makes me go "wtf dude? this is my forum, gtfo." I'm sure it causes other members of the staff to feel the same way. If anything, having someone try to do someone else's job is nothing but a frustration. It doesn't at all help them. Reporting helps because it tells us what thread it is that's wrong, and what's wrong with it. Having someone mini-mod opposed to report a thread of misconduct gives us more of a job because we'd have to be looking for something to do or stumble upon it randomly. And it's not like the person mini-modding can do anything about it opposed to point out the obvious unless they secretly have the power to moderate threads.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I am not sure if Ambacrombie stated this (you post so much o_o in one paragraph that is), but don't post things like, "Lock this thread" or "This is the Wrong Forum. Please Move It." On other forums, I had my fair share of infractions for Back Seat Modding (aka Mini-Modding), so I would know. d:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I used to be a mod here, so it's just in my nature to instinctively report a lot of posts and threads that need some cleaning up. I recently made the mistake of making a "this needs to be locked" post instead of a report, and got a couple of negative rep points for it. :P

I'm not trying to earn my way back onto the staff by any means, but if you see something wrong with a post or a thread, it's better to just report it instead of making an equally spamtastic post just to point out how a post is spam...

Back