• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is PSDK open sourced?

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    TL;DR is it permissible for me to use PSDK to make an independent game with its own art assets names and game mechanics (I own the copyrights and trademarks to all assets I would be using)
    So I was reading that psdk is open sourced but I just want to make sure if that means that I could release a game that is like pokemon but with different game rules and isn't called pokemon but then distribute it for commercial use. I know that with pokemon essentials you cannot do that but PSDK seems to made by Yuri and not Maruno. I get that it is frowned upon to sell a game made with a pokemon starter kit but there is an idea I would love to bring to life for everyone to play, that I am currently making in unity I have experience using rpg maker and ruby and figured I could learn PSDK and when I heard it was open sourced it had me thinking that it might be easier to make if I switch to PSDK but I just wanna know if it is legal, if I was fed misinformation due to reading this on the wrong website or if I misread it due to translation or if I have to give a cut to someone or what my limitations are on what I can distribute or if I have to ask permission from Yuri which I do not mind at all. (I already have custom art for characters mons and tiles along with battle backgrounds) and if the creators are just not comfortable at all with me doing this I understand. In the end even if I can't use it I will just continue with using unity I have been learning a lot using it I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. P.S I hope this isn't a dumb question and if others have this same question I hope that by reading the answers to this post that they receive the answer they are looking for. Also if Yuri is reading this I just wanted to say amazing work with the engine!

Last edited:
    actually after looking more into PSDK I think I am better off sticking with unity but still curious to see the answer to my question

Back