• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Is there any reason to play FRLG anymore?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    This seems to happen every time somebody says something "negative" about FRLG, doesn't it? LusoTrainer gets his feelings hurt and starts trying to pick a fight and waste peoples' time. :rolleyes2:

And no, the remakes weren't made for the sole reason of compatibility. You don't need to remake anything in order to make Kanto Pokémon available. They chose to remake it and in doing so, Kanto Pokémon were made available. That was a consequence, not the cause.

This is so hilariously wrong, it's not even funny. There was literally NO way to obtain over half of the Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire before FRLG came out! The games couldn't trade or transfer anything from RBY/GSC, and none of those Pokémon could be caught in the games without Gameshark. GF couldn't just leave all of those older Pokémon out in the cold. They had to be made obtainable in the newest games, and remaking Gen 1 on RS' engine was a quick, easy solution to that.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Well the nice thing about GBA games these days is that they can be played on your smart phone using an emulator app. No need to go find the hardware if you are a fan.
    Yeah, but that's not entirely "legal," you know. ;)

You are hardly in any danger to do so. GBA games have been discontinued for such a long time now - no one is going to be in trouble for enjoying these games in a modern way. Nintendo ought to wear it as a badge of pride that I choose to play Fire Red on my phone to this day. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    You are hardly in any danger to do so. GBA games have been discontinued for such a long time now - no one is going to be in trouble for enjoying these games in a modern way. Nintendo ought to wear it as a badge of pride that I choose to play Fire Red on my phone to this day.

Oh, I know that Nintendo's unlikely to crack down, but still think about it from the perspective of a more casual player. More hardcore players know all about ROMs and emulators, but most casuals aren't going to touch anything they can't easily buy from the eShop or Wally World. They're going to just buy the VC RBY and play it on their 3DS, as well as transfer a few things to Sun/Moon later down the road.

There's a decent chance that the NX will be powerful enough to emulate GBA and DS games, so we might see all of Gens 3-5 (including FRLG) put on the VC come Gen 8, but that's still pretty far off into the future (no sooner than 2019, at least).

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I think FRLG are worth playing solely for the Leftovers Game Freak added under each Snorlax after you catch it. Just use your Itemfinder, and there ya go! ;)

I seem to hear nothing but negative things about these games, but I really enjoyed them. I thought the change in graphical style and different colours gave them a distinct atmosphere when compared to their source material, and I actually appreciated the Sevii Islands post game a lot!

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • I think they are worth enough if you can't play post gen 4 games like me or if you're nostalgic about gen 3. I think they are good games but if you prefer new versions then there isn't really a reason to play them

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • To be honest, I have more nostalgic value for FR/LG than I have for R/B/Y because LeafGreen was the first game I ever played. So whenever I feel like exploring Kanto again or just being nostalgic, I'm more likely to pick up FR/LG and play them than I would with the originals. I now realised that that would be only reason I would replay these games. Once, I replayed FR just to soft reset for a shiny Charmander (and I succeeded), but now that shiny starters are a lot more easy to obtain in Gen 6 thanks to the shiny charm, the masuda method and the friend safari, there's no need to soft reset for shinies in older games anymore.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I seem to hear nothing but negative things about these games, but I really enjoyed them. I thought the change in graphical style and different colours gave them a distinct atmosphere when compared to their source material, and I actually appreciated the Sevii Islands post game a lot!

You need to remember that FRLG are Gen 3 games, and Gen 3 as a whole was poorly received. RSE were widely criticized for removing several features that had been in GSC (like Day/Night), restricting the number of obtainable Pokémon, and having mediocre graphics/sound compared to other GBA games, and many of those exact same criticisms applied to FRLG as well.

The period of roughly 2002-2009, or between the releases of Crystal and Platinum, is widely considered to be a Dork Age for Pokémon, after Pokémania had faded and before older fans started getting nostalgic. RSE would eventually redeem themselves somewhat as the fans who grew up with those games started getting older and nostalgic (leading to ORAS being made), but both FRLG and DP are still viewed pretty negatively.

Snackbar1

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2016
    The thing is FRLG is just RBY with better graphics, more moves, etc and the Sevii Islands. It still has the first gen story and path so I feel like it is seen as bad because the story is so simple and lacking.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    You need to remember that FRLG are Gen 3 games, and Gen 3 as a whole was poorly received. RSE were widely criticized for removing several features that had been in GSC (like Day/Night), restricting the number of obtainable Pokémon, and having mediocre graphics/sound compared to other GBA games, and many of those exact same criticisms applied to FRLG as well.

I'm aware of that. I think FRLG was the ill-advised, half-baked duality of mediocrity. It existed solely to enable us access to Kanto Pokés. That said, it was the only way we had at the time to build teams of those Pokémon with the updated mechanics and moves, and I personally enjoyed that. I'm not saying that's enough for the game to not be one of the series low points, but FRLG was an enjoyable experience when I played it, which wasn't around release, but around '09 or '10. Today, when looking at playing it, I would probably pick a different game instead.

If I had to decide whether to play RBY or FRLG, that wouldn't really be comparable, because I choose to play each of them for their mechanics, not their graphics or music.

Years
  • Generation 3 was my first ever experience of Pokemon and I'll always go back and play FireRed every now and again for nostalgia and the fun factor it has. Having my entire team from my first ever playthrough on my copy of X means I can just simply enjoy these games for what they were which is (in my opinion) two of the best Pokemon games of all time.

Back