• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there any way to use a trainer editor on a ROM that has new scripting in place?

Years
    I'm making a FireRed ROMhack that adds new dialogue, scripting, map editing, and trainer battles. I got Hopeless Trainer Editor and on a clean, unedited FireRed ROM it works great, fantastic. However, with my other FireRed ROM that already has some new scripting and dialogue, when I open the .gba file HTP says "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application." At the bottom, it says the problem was "Index was outside the bounds of the array."
    Now, I realize that I could just take a clean ROM, edit all the trainers I want, then open XSE and add the scripts I want, but that's not feasible because there's a high possibility that I'm going to need to edit some trainer battles along the way as I test things out.
    I don't know a ton about coding, but I've been using XSE to add the dialogue and I think I might have been expanding the ROM slightly? So if that's the case, then I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to edit the trainers on an expanded ROM?

Years
    Hmm... That does sound plausible. Can you think of any way to get around that? So far I've written all my scripts past the 0x800000 range. It would be kind of a pain, but if there's important data located there, I could imagine rewriting all my scripts to be even further, like 0xF00000 or something. Do you think that would work?

Back