• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen IV/EV/NATURE help

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2014
    Hi there

I play Leaf Green/Fire Red, and my friend has an insanely powerful Charizard (it survived a surf from my speed/sp attack ev trained starmie). I asked him how it's so powerful, he said it has max HP, max attack and max speed, I've never maxed any stat (got close with metagross, 396 attack) and he said it's because of IV's, so I've had a look and stuff and I think I'm ready to make my first nature/iv/ev pokemon.

I'm thinking about a Steelix.

So can someone tell me if this method is okay and adjust as needed please?

-Catch an Onix
    -EV train it in SP DEF/ATTACK
    -Level it to 100
    -Breed for right nature with ditto (hopefully -SP ATTACK +SP DEFENSE)
    -Obtain a high SP DEF/ATTACK IV/nature Onix egg
    -Level up to 100 and add moveset (iron tail, toxic, earthquake, haven't thought of a 4th)
    -Trade it to get Steelix

I want to get the best I can out of this, I want a really strong pokemon and will put in all of the effort no matter how long it takes

Thanks!

***EDIT***

Also need to mention, I'm not training this to defeat Charizard, I have a full 150 Pokedex so I want a new Pokemon :)

Last edited:

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Hmm... you seem to have some of the concepts down, but there are a few issues with the order of your list. For instance, EV's don't affect breeding in any way, which makes EV-training before you breed a pretty big waste.

What you want to do first is find a flawless Ditto, meaning all of the Ditto's IV's are maxed at 31. (Retrieve at your own discretion.)

From here, breed this Ditto with a caught Onix. A total of three IV's will pass down to the baby from the parents. Aim to have Ditto pass down all three inheritable IVs if possible, in Attack, Defense, and Sp. Def while the parent-Onix gives none.

Now the hard part's done; you have your base. You've bred an Onix that has IV's of 31 in its most important stats (and maybe even some decent IV's in the other three, if you're lucky).

This is the proper time to start EV-training: after you've already bred your Pokemon of choice. From what I can tell, EV-training your Onix for max Attack and Sp. Def seems like a decent enough spread. And after you've finished maxing out its EV's, you can level it to 100. =]

Here's a smaller list to recap:

(1) Get flawless Ditto, if possible
    (2) Breed the Ditto with any Onix
    (3) Get a baby with 31 IV's in Attack, Defense, and Sp. Def (all from the Ditto)
    (4) Trade holding a Metal Coat to evolve it into Steelix
    (5) EV train the Steelix to have 255 EV's in Attack and another 255 EV's in Sp. Def
    (6) Raise to Lv. 100!

Oh and make sure it learns all the moves you want from its Onix form before you evolve it. =p

Back