• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen IV / EV Question - Experts Needed!

KingpiN

Pok?mon: Magmar
Years
  • Hi, ive been away from pokemon for a long time, since gold/silver days, and now im back with diamond and pearl.
    The thing is i used to be quite a good breeder and poke genetist (?) those days, but it seems things have change now.

I need to know:

1) Does it worth it to look for a pokemon with good IVS? i mean, theres much more complicated nowadays cuz now there are 31 different IVS for a single stat (1-15 back then) and it seems like a lot of trouble finding a poke good enough.

2) Is it better to EV train than to look for a pokemon with good IV for a particular STAT? I mean, could i still make a good pokemon from EV training without caring about IVs?

3) I i have a pokemon with an IV of 31....will i reach the maxium of that stat without EV training? And what will the nature of the pokemon affect that 31 for IV? will that nature prevent the pokemon for getting the max points for that STAT?

4) What IVs are inherited in breeding? is the mom still passing two gens like in gold times? what about natures?

Its all more confusing to me now with natures and all that. Im sory if you have a hard time understanding this, but me english is not so good :p

Thank you very much guys!

Hernan.

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    Hi, ive been away from pokemon for a long time, since gold/silver days, and now im back with diamond and pearl.
    The thing is i used to be quite a good breeder and poke genetist (?) those days, but it seems things have change now.

I need to know:

1) Does it worth it to look for a pokemon with good IVS? i mean, theres much more complicated nowadays cuz now there are 31 different IVS for a single stat (1-15 back then) and it seems like a lot of trouble finding a poke good enough.

2) Is it better to EV train than to look for a pokemon with good IV for a particular STAT? I mean, could i still make a good pokemon from EV training without caring about IVs?

3) I i have a pokemon with an IV of 31....will i reach the maxium of that stat without EV training? And what will the nature of the pokemon affect that 31 for IV? will that nature prevent the pokemon for getting the max points for that STAT?

4) What IVs are inherited in breeding? is the mom still passing two gens like in gold times? what about natures?

Its all more confusing to me now with natures and all that. Im sory if you have a hard time understanding this, but me english is not so good :p

Thank you very much guys!

Hernan.
    1) Yes, it's worth looking for a Pokémon with good IVs. But I don't think it's worth spending days just to breed a Pokémon with good IVs. If you get a Pokémon with 20+ in the stats that are important to it, then just go with that.

2) Both really. If you have crappy IVs, like 5 or less, and then max the EVs in those stats, you really aren't gonna see much of an increase. You really need decent IVs and to complement the EVs.

3) No, you won't max the stat with just IVs and no EV training. Natures don't bear any influence on IVs. But if it isn't a +nature in the stat that you're favouring, you won't get its max possible stat. You can only ever completely max out one stat for each Pokémon.

4)This explains it in a lot more detail than I ever could.

Back