• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ivysaur's Writers Block And Other Poetic Creations

ivysaur'swritersblock

Sufficient Writer
Years
  • I TOTALLY messed up on my first thread. Geez, I placed it in the wrong place, and made the mistake of doing it all wrong. (Guess I'm still LatiLover, the n00b who always double posted. I'll never learn *sigh*)

The poems are, to save space, inside spoiler tags.

So now it's redone, hopefully right.

My First Poem(s)

Ivysaur's Writers Block

Spoiler:

The Day I Went to the Ocean

Spoiler:

Love

Spoiler:

School

Spoiler:

[Like them? Tell me in the comments! I'll put even more up later!]

(Did I do it right, bro?)

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Your poetry is very reminiscent of Shel Silverstein poems. I like it! I liked the order of the poems on the page as well, although that's generally not very noticed. You started with a poem about how to get rid of writer's block, which I thought was quite clever.

Ivysaur's Writer's Block
    I like the rhythm of this poem. It can be difficult to pull off a poem that has different line lengths in it, but you managed it quite well in my opinion. The only problem I have is with lines 5 and 6 - I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but there's something awkward there. I'm leaning towards the problem being with line 6, as it's a tad long and doesn't say much that adds to the poem itself.

The Day I Went to the Ocean
    I was super into this poem, the rhythm, the rhyme, the story of it, the cute sidenote, up until the farmer's daughter. That came out of nowhere and didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the poem at all. I think if you started with the action instead of "I was caught", then it would be less surprising, as well as not specifying that it's "the farmer's daughter", since we don't know the farmer and we certainly don't know his daughter.

Love
    This somewhat deviates from your style, and I'm not sure I like it as much as the others. It seems to rely on repetition, which is really tough to work with and didn't end up too well. I think the poem itself would work better if you took out the "with your trainer" at the end of each line, since the last line stipulates that all was done with the trainer anyway.

School
    This poem is a bit short for my tastes. I feel like it could have said a lot more but instead you focused on the surface and not underneath. The rhythm is nice though, excepting line 4 which is a tad long. The only other thing I would change is to add an ellipsis (...) in the middle of the last line. Maybe it's just me but I think that would look better.

ivysaur'swritersblock

Sufficient Writer
    Years
  • Thanks for the reply!

I really like your feedback, its very detailed and such.

I'm going to leave the farmers daughter in so it still rhymes, because sometimes poems don't need to make sense :)

I'll edit some of them as well.

What should I right next? Like, give me a topic or something.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    If I give you a topic, it won't come from your heart! You have to write about something you're inspired by, otherwise it just sounds forced :P

Back