• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Johto starters

Years
  • Just before I complete my Emerald, and end up resetting it so I can get all 3 Johto starters, just to confirm ABSOLUTELY, you cannot get more than one Johto starters per Emerald save file? So if I pick Cyndaquil when I get all 200, there is no way to get Chikorita and/or Totodile in that same save file, without cheating or trading? Thanks.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Just before I complete my Emerald, and end up resetting it so I can get all 3 Johto starters, just to confirm ABSOLUTELY, you cannot get more than one Johto starters per Emerald save file? So if I pick Cyndaquil when I get all 200, there is no way to get Chikorita and/or Totodile in that same save file, without cheating or trading? Thanks.

Yeah if you pick Cyndaquil you will need to get Totodile and Chikorita from either another copy of Emerald or from Colosseum.

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    It would be much easier to get Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and obtain the three Johto starters via the Challenge at the Mountain. They each come with their respective elemental hyper beam. I got Totodile on my Emerald and then got the other two off of my XD. Also, Lugia with Psycho Boost is another good reason to pick up XD. But, if you don't feel like that, then yes, you can get one Johto starter per save file on Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    It would be much easier to get Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and obtain the three Johto starters via the Challenge at the Mountain. They each come with their respective elemental hyper beam. I got Totodile on my Emerald and then got the other two off of my XD. Also, Lugia with Psycho Boost is another good reason to pick up XD. But, if you don't feel like that, then yes, you can get one Johto starter per save file on Emerald.

Personally, I think Colosseum is a much better/easier way to get the Johto starters. They DON'T have the elemental hyper beam, which I think is good since it's just an over-hyped, last-ditch-effort move any way. You can get all 3 easily during the storyline and you DON'T have to beat 300 trainers... in a row anyway...

But, to stay on topic, it's one starter per completed Pokedex for Emerald.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Actuallly, its much easier to purchase Pokemon Box for Gamecube. ( If it's even still in circulation ) Then transfer all of your Pokemon to it, including your Johto starter.
    Restart you Emerald, beat it, transfer the Pokemon from Pokemon box into this new save file, breed the Pokemon that have evolution lines so you can have their previous evolutions, you should have a full dex, pick a Johto starter.
    Repeat the process again, and you'll have all three of them.

That's what I did >D

Years
  • Actuallly, its much easier to purchase Pokemon Box for Gamecube. ( If it's even still in circulation ) Then transfer all of your Pokemon to it, including your Johto starter.
    Restart you Emerald, beat it, transfer the Pokemon from Pokemon box into this new save file, breed the Pokemon that have evolution lines so you can have their previous evolutions, you should have a full dex, pick a Johto starter.
    Repeat the process again, and you'll have all three of them.

That's what I did >D

Well Im doing something very similar. I have R/S/E/FR/LG so im completing my current Emerald save, using the item/Pokémon duplicating clone trick, to get all Pokémon, including pre-evolutions, using Rare Candies. When I get 200, ill get Chikorita, trade all 201 to my FR/LG which are pretty much complete, then restart my Emerald, complete it quickly, trade all 200 back, and then back to FR/LG, get Totodile, trade to FR/LG, then start Emerald proper to complete it and get Cyndaquil. Then trade back the 3 Johto starters and breed to get on each version. Basically, if you get that.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    It's much easier to get the evolved forms in colosseum, and trade them over to emerald and bread them, you can finish Colosseum in a day, two top's (that's all it took me) and you don't need to mess about trading all your pokemon from one game to another and finishing it more than once.

Years
  • It's much easier to get the evolved forms in colosseum, and trade them over to emerald and bread them, you can finish Colosseum in a day, two top's (that's all it took me) and you don't need to mess about trading all your pokemon from one game to another and finishing it more than once.

I know, lots of people say that, but I dont have a GameCube, Wii or any other proper Nintendo consoles, just handhelds. And I might buy an old GC with the Pokémon games, but not atm. Thanks anyway. Im sorting it another way, said above.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I know, lots of people say that, but I dont have a GameCube, Wii or any other proper Nintendo consoles, just handhelds. And I might buy an old GC with the Pokémon games, but not atm. Thanks anyway. Im sorting it another way, said above.

If you were to look for a Gamecube they are relativley cheap now, ranging from £15-£25 in Cash Generators and such places. Though if you were to do this check if there are any faults with it first. Games are also cheap now, I imagine theyre only several pounds like the PS2 series.

I would personally trade across games using two GBA/DS consoles. This is the way I did it with the earlier games, using a GBA for one game and my GB for the other.

Years
  • If you were to look for a Gamecube they are relativley cheap now, ranging from £15-£25 in Cash Generators and such places. Though if you were to do this check if there are any faults with it first. Games are also cheap now, I imagine theyre only several pounds like the PS2 series.

I would personally trade across games using two GBA/DS consoles. This is the way I did it with the earlier games, using a GBA for one game and my GB for the other.

Well, yeah thats the way im going to do it. Use my SP and original GBA to trade. It the only way really.

Back