• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] JohtoMap Tool Help

SubstituteCreature

Fakemon Novice
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2017
    To preface, I'm modifying New Bark Town to make a town of my own. So far I've enlarged the map from 10x9 tiles to 16x12 and rearranged the tiles, making sure to put the Warps in the correct places. When testing the map, I ran across a few problems.

Towards the center of the map things seem stable enough, but taking a few steps in any direction and things start to get wonky. Collisions are off (some tiles that have no collision have different ones like Cut Tree and Whirlpool, some tiles have none), and some from the edges seem to be moved closer and overlap preexisting tiles.

How the town is supposed to look (the stray warp has since been moved up to the door):
    JohtoMap Tool Help

In game:
    Note how half of the Mart (the player's house) is missing and how he's standing on a bush upon exiting.
    JohtoMap Tool Help

I'm in a roof. When in it, it shows the walking-through-grass animation. Generally speaking, blocks that are traditionally solid can be phased through and vice versa. It's like some twisted version of Fuchsia Gym lol.
    JohtoMap Tool Help

Any help is appreciated (and credited whenever this is released)

Attachments

• JohtoMap Tool Help
      001p-BloomburgTown.PNG
      37.3 KB · Views: 37
    • JohtoMap Tool Help
      BloomburgMess.PNG
      4.2 KB · Views: 36
    • JohtoMap Tool Help
      BloomburgMess2.PNG
      4.6 KB · Views: 37
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Could be a problem related to making new tiles without accounting for their collision data, or could be issues with map conections. Or both. It looks like you added tiles that weren't originally in new bark town so it has me wondering whether JohtoMap actually assigned them any collision data, and if so, where it took the necessary space from. And the same applies to the fact that you increased the map's size. Meanwhile, the screen in the middle looks like could be an error in the R29->NBT east and/or NBT->R29 west map connections. The original one used to be some tiles above the current one, and it does indeed seem that those misplaced trees match the trees above the signpost and the lady in red.

I don't know what JohtoMap accounts for and what it doesn't, but I wouldn't use map editors for anything else that is not just editing the map layout. Adjusting the map dimensions and map connections are things that should be first taken care of with a hex editor by adjusting the necessary stuff in the corresponding map headers.

SubstituteCreature

Fakemon Novice
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2017
    UPDATE:
    So I've figured out the tile fiasco after looking at the map data in the hex editor. Apparently some of the tiles I used were duplicate versions (look the same, different value) so that was rectified. I also fiddled around with the Map Connections and got the map to not overlap itself, but the connections don't seem to be working properly.

What I'm using as reference: https://hax.iimarck.us/topic/5451/ (It's your guide right? :D)

And here are my calculations:
    New Bark Town = 17 x 12
    Route 29 = 30 x 9
    New Bark Town (West) -> Route 29
    h = 9, w = 30, x = 0, y = 9 - 12 = -3
    Spoiler:

Route 29 (East) -> New Bark Town
    h = 12, w = 17, x = 0, y = 0
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back