• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JULY PIXEL ART CONTEST RESULTS - (Yeah, we know. It's about time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Yeah, it would have been done the first day of August probably, but Vaati is incompetent. Take my advice, future contest-holders, just judge the contest yourself. Okay, and now the winners. My comments below will be displayed in RED. Vaati's comments will be displayed in BLUE. If your entry did not receive a review, it means it was either disqualified, or I'm an idiot and I don't realize it. It's probably the former, though. Note that Vaati forgot to review a couple, but they weren't very good, IIRC, so consider it a blessing.

THIRD PLACE: Dragonfree - 8/10

It's a pretty nice piece. You have a fairly decent grasp of shading and dithering, but it seems too straightforward. There's no depth to it. It's maybe a bit cliche. There's no real artistic style to it. That's not to say it isn't a competent piece, it just feels generic and a tad uninspired.
    7/10

Dragonfree: Now this piece, really, really does amaze me, it's so beautiful, you've used the palette excellently and left very little fault, I love the shading, especially the clouds, the tree is gorgeous, as is the grass. The water is amazing, really good job, I can't think of any real faults with it.
    9/10

SECOND PLACE: Shadow Wolf - 8.5/10

Great shading, great textures, interesting character design. I would have liked to see more in the background. It just feels like you could have added more in that area. You have a great style, though.
    8/10

Shadow Wolf: Now this piece really, really caught my eye, the abstract approach you used really pulled me in, the funky shading and little patterns are amazing, and despite what people at Pixel joint said, I feel the AAing makes it more appealing. The clouds are beautiful, overall the whole thing is.
    9/10

FIRST PLACE: Aocom - 9/10

Lovely piece. I really like the shading. Nice scene, nice figure. You did good. You have a great style and the placement and contrast between the foreground and the background is spot-on.
    8/10

Aocom: Woah, I was blown back when I saw this piece, the woman is amazing, I love the shading and texture in the hair, the dress is incredibly good, it generally looks like fabric, the background doesn't appeal to me much, but I can see where you were coming from with it, so I won't complain, but maybe a cloud or two would of made it a lil' less barren? Anyways, overall this is my favourite piece, you honestly deserve this 10
    10/10

And as for the rest of you:

Designed Child: I thought your entry was very well drawn, the shading was nice, although the piece looks very basic, which in it's own right suits the piece, although it also lets it down in my eyes, as all it is now is a nice, but very basic piece.
    6/10

Conman: Yours doesn't really have any depth at all, which is a shame, because with a little shading and a more in depth use of the palette it could of being a really nice piece. It appears far too much like cardboard to me, which lets it down a lot. Although the piece isn't exactly bad it could use a lot of work, it seems too stiff to me, which leads me back to the cardboard comment.
    4/10

Uzumaki Kaen: Although I like your piece, I feel it really lacks shading, the palette doesn't seem to work with it at all, and the cutlass seems really plain from here. The right eye really bugs me, as there's unnecessary shading using one of the darkest colours in it, which kind of ruins it. But meh, it wasn't a bad piece as such, just not outstanding, so a fair 5/10 is in order from me.
    5/10

Thomas: Your piece is well, different, the bottom half is quite detailed, and nice, whereas about half way up you use just one colour, which really kills the piece in my opinion, I liked the effect the bulky outline gave off, but meh, you had a few more colours you could of used to highlight the piece. All in all I'm gonna give you a 5.
    5/10

Shadowfuse: Well, your piece doesn't really apply to me, the whole piece doesn't really appear to have taken a lot of time, you could of used dithering in a few more areas, in a better fashion, and you could of easily used the colours to a higher potential, overall I'm far from impressed, although the piece isn't exactly bad it's definitely not one of the stronger pieces.
    4/10

Mazilwolf: Hmm, this has a few strong points, I loved the shading on the face and neck, the left arm was also done nicely IMO, but the shading on the hair baffles me a little, as it's in a different style to the rest of the piece =/ The breasts also appear to be a little square, and the shading on them seems abnormal, although the rest of the line art seemed nice. All in all, the piece could use quite a bit of work, but it also shows signs of high potential in your pixel art career. I'm giving this piece a sturdy 6.
    6/10

Snapple: As with Dragonfree and Shadow wolf's entries, this one really caught my eye, I really like how the simplicity of it also brings it to like, the shading on the hair is exceptional in my eyes, bravo on that, line art s of a high quality, but alas, it is a little plain, so I'm giving you a good 8.
    8/10

Maxxa: Interesting design, I can see a lot of it was based on Haunter though. Shading wise it's not bad, but there's nothing ground breaking about it either =/ Not much one can really say on this piece, the hand coming towards us looks a little floppy though, and crippled in some places. It's a nice try, but not anything above a 6.
    6/10

Houndoom: Vaati did not supply a rating for this entry.

Hyperion: Meh, I don't like, or dislike your piece, the outline could use some highlights and overall better shading, the AAing was very basic to be honest, and a lil dithering and outline highlighting wouldn't of gone a miss, the line art wasn't exactly bad though. Good try but an average piece
    5/10

Soniku: Meh, The lineart's not bad, just a little untidy, the shading very linear, with very little on the face itself, it's quite a dry piece, that hasn't utilised the colours that well, still, it's not exactly bad. The shading on the ear and nose could be greatly improved.
    5/10

Mysticalugia: Ah, beautiful, I love everything about it, the shading is magnificent, as is the general lineart and use of the palette, not really anything bad to say about this piece, I think you've really pulled it off. Well done.
    8/10

Chinpokomon: Meh, your piece doesn't really appeal to me in the slightest, it's just a ball, that appears to of being conducted with the circle tool, the shading on it doesn't make it look round at all, it's nothing close to outstanding, you could of used the palette A LOT more efficiently, for example, the one colour outline and the highlights on the orb. Over all, it's not much more than a 3 in my eyes
    3/10

ChaosEmerald: Although the piece had a very nice outline, it also has an ungodly amount of over excessive dithering, that just doesn't suite the piece, the hair looks lice with it, but the breast area just appears to be a flat circle of sorts. The face scares me slightly, but meh, you put a lot of effort in, and it wasn't exactly bad.
    5/10

[ Designed Child ]
    It's drawn nicely, but despite the resizing, it's still essentially lacking. Even with nice shading, it's not enough to compete.
    4/10

Conman
    Stiff-looking pose, poor lineart. Too small, no shading. Resizing isn't going to make it look bigger.
    2/10

Uzumaki Kaen
    Not really impressive. It's boring and sloppy and lacking in general.
    2/10

-Thomas-
    The lines can afford to be touched up quite a bit. They look too freehand, which would be fine if you had spent more time fixing them up. Also, the shading is arbitrary and only uses one degree of dithering.
    5/10

shadowfuse
    It looks like you barely even tried. Spend more than five minutes next time. I can barely even tell what it's supposed to be.
    2/10

Mazilwolf
    Ehh, poor lineart, ugly pillow shading. Lighting doesn't seem very consistent. Not exactly awful, though. What's there actually seems to look all right when you put it all together. It's a nice ensemble, I suppose.
    5/10

qwertyman
    No. Get out.
    1/10

Snapple
    Interesting. You did a good job with the contrast of color, but you could have made the dithering blend better. You can allow for a broader range of dithering by avoiding just merely using a consistent checkered pattern. There's other ways you can blend colors. Also, the contrast on the hair is a little harsh. Using some lighter colors a little more would have been sufficient.
    6/10

maxxa
    It looks neat, but it's just not enough, and the mist effect is too opaque.
    4/10

Houndoom1
    Do I even have to say anything? Compare your entry to everyone else's. Do you not realize that you did virtually everything wrong? AWFUL lineart, ABYSSMAL shading, and it's just not enough.
    1/10

Nova
    Needs better lines. This can barely be considered pixel art at all.
    2/10

aocom
    Lovely piece. I really like the shading. Nice scene, nice figure. You did good.
    8/10

Hyperion
    Ehh, it's really lopsided everywhere. The use of clothing just feels like it's your excuse to have sloppy lineart. It's an okay try, but the clothing folds just don't look like clothing folds. Also, I don't see the AAing you claimed to incorporate.
    5/10

Soniku
    It's a good start, but there's not a lot to see. It feels like you started and then just gave up. It feels unfinished.
    5/10

MysticaLugia
    This is actually pretty nice. You seem to actually have a good grasp of dithering. I would like to see you explore some other forms of shading. It feels like there's just too much dithering, and it doesn't seem like it would be suited to both the jar AND the Ekans in the same image. Also, how does Ekans fit in that jar?
    7/10

Chinpokomon
    What is wrong with you people? If your entry is of a quality that you would consider to be warranting reproach, than PLEASE DON'T BOTHER. LEARN MODESTY. YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY IT'S BAD UNLESS IT'S ACTUALLY REALLY, REALLY GOOD. GAAAAAAAAH.
    2/10

Chaos Emerald
    Interesting. The cartoon style is mediocre and the shading is subpar, but I can't help but feel like you at least tried. So it's not particularly great, but at least you tried.
    5/10

FINAL TALLY:

Aocom
    9/10

ShadowWolf
    8.5/10

Dragonfree
    8/10

MysticaLugia
    7.5/10

Snapple
    7/10

Mazilwolf
    5/10

Designed Child
    5/10

Maxxa
    5/10

Soniku
    5/10

Thomas
    5/10

Hyperion
    5/10

Chaos Emerald
    4.5/10

Uzumaki
    3.5/10

Conman
    3/10

Shadowfuse
    3/10

Chinpokomon
    2/10

Nova
    2/10

Qwertyman
    1/10

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Note that most of the ones I didn;t judge were breaching the rules, cept Houndoom's, which i apoligise about, I also apoligise about the wait, entirly my fault.

Shadow Wolf 2

The Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Second, nice!!!
    Hhmmm....I'll have to fix something that'll beat Aocom huh?
    Consider it done!
    (Thanks for the great comment both!)

-Shadow Wolf.

Domin-8

aka Unoringinally Funny
    Years
  • Wow. I got a 5/10. I got my peice of crap called average. I am surprised. It was the first ever scratch pixel art I have ever done.

♥Nova♥

Ignore the Funny Farm
    Years
  • 2/10? 0_0 Wow, I've lost my touch... Oh well! ^^ I did just enter for fun after all. I just wish I had at least gotten a Comment or some Constructive Critism.

Big Congradulations to all the Winners and Honerable Mentions! ^^

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Congratulations to the winners :D. Glad I didn't enter they would've blew me out of the water.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I really hope these contests aren't DISCOURAGING anyone. That's pretty much the complete diametric opposite intention, I would think.

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    ok ill work on it next time :) wait does the tally mean i came 8th?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back