• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Just starting, could use all suggestions

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Hey all, I never really got into competitive battling but I'm trying to now and would appreciate any advice from others who do so. I'm having trouble deciding on non team and a moveset/EV spread for my eventual dragonite. I currently have an adamant dratini with perfect IV's except Sp. Atk obviously. I'm not sure what moveset to use for it and how many EV's for each stat. The only other Pokemon I have so far in my team is a careful Skarmory with perfect IV's in everything except Sp. Atk. The EV spread I chose to use was 224 HP, 32 Def, and 252 Sp. Def. I wanted him to be well rounded with HP, def, and sp def. His moveset will likely be spikes, toxic, roost, and a physical flying attack. I figured I also need a mega evolution Pokemon but can't decide who. Please help if you can, any advise is appreciated. Pokemon I'm considering: gyrados (mega), alakazam (mega), starmie, trevenant.

Years
  • We need EV's, Nature, Ability, Item's for six different Pokemon. This is Team Help, not Team Build afterall.

It's also advisable to play-test with the team before you have a rate, since what may look good on paper, sucks when put into practice.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Well, if you choose to use Mega Gyarados, take advantage of its high Attack. Don't use it for Special Attacks, it's not really worth it, since its Special Attack rating is pretty low:

Ability: Moxie
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Gyaradosite
    Substitute
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Bounce/Stone Edge

Mega Alakazam has terrible Attack and Health ratings, but makes up for it in its high Special Attack, Special Defence, and Speed ratings.

Ability: Synchronise/Magic Guard
    Nature: Modest/Calm
    Item: Alakazite
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Calm Mind
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire/Substitute

Starmie has good stats all around, but its Health could use a little bit of training. I would use Leftovers because of that, but you can use the Life Orb if your Starmie gains a good Health rating.
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Rapid Spin
    Scald
    Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    Recover
    or
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic
    Nature: Quiet
    Items: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Rapid Spin
    Hydro Pump/Surf
    Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    Recover

Trevenant can be used as a Spinblocker, and has pretty good stats, excluding its Special Attack and Speed:

Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Careful
    Items: Leftovers
    Will-o-Wisp/Destiny Bond
    Rest
    Phantom Force/Shadow Claw
    Wood Hammer/ Horn Leech
    or
    Ability: Harvest
    Nature: Calm
    Items: Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry
    Shadow Claw
    Will-o-Wisp
    Substitute
    Leech Seed/Horn Leech

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Well, if you choose to use Mega Gyarados, take advantage of its high Attack. Don't use it for Special Attacks, it's not really worth it, since its Special Attack rating is pretty low:

Ability: Moxie
    Item: Gyaradosite
    Substitute
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Bounce/Stone Edge

Mega Alakazam has terrible Attack and Health ratings, but makes up for it in its high Special Attack, Special Defence, and Speed ratings.

Ability: Synchronise/Magic Guard
    Nature: Modest/Calm
    Item: Alakazite
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Calm Mind
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire/Substitute
    Do note that Mega evolution overrides the previous ability of its original forme.

Mega Gyarados is bad, really bad. But if you insist on using it...

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Moxie (Mold Breaker upon Mega evolving)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Moves: Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Bite / Bounce

Mega Alakazam is also bad, sadly. But this set is still viable on it...

Alakazam @ Alakazite
    Ability: Magic Guard (Trace upon Mega evolving)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Psychic or Psyshock / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / HP [Ice] or HP [Fire]

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
  • (This is assuming XY can learn these moves) I don't play X or Y, so I don't know. Nor do I competitive battle w/ XY Pokemon.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Multiscale
    Adamant Nature
    252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    ExtremeSpeed
    Earthquake

Multiscale gives you a chance to set up a DD, boosting your Speed to 389 w/ one DD adamant nature. W/ Jolly nature it's 426, you'll be able to outspeed a Volcarona & Salamence @ max IV's and EVs & Jolly nature. I've removed Fire Punch as it's never really helped me, had much more closure with Earthquake.
    With DD set up you'll be able to take out his quite worthy adversary Salamence assuming they don't DD before you do.
    ExtremeSpeed is used for those hard hitters that like to set up first such as Haxorus. It's pretty self explanatory. Damage as they set up, and Extreme for the kill. Well that's how I do it anyways, everyone has their own way..

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Also, keep in mind with the new Fairy-types running around, you want a good Steel- or Poison-type Pokemon. A Toxicroak might work well:

Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Poison Touch/Anticipation
    EVs: 244 HP, 132 ATK, 120 DEF, 12 Speed
    Substitute
    Poison Jab
    Brick Break
    Bulk Up/Torment

This set is designed to make Toxicroak a good Phys Sweeper with significant investments in HP, ATK, and DEF. It's ideal to use Substitute when you use Bulk Up or Torment so Toxicroak has something to absorb its damage. Poison Jab is a huge hit to Fairy-types, at a power 80 move, and Brick Break destroys any barriers that could have been set by those Double Screeners.

Cross Chop can be a good alternative to Brick Break if screens aren't your concern, but it has low PP, so I'm not so sure it can see a good use.

Last edited:
    Back