• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Just Starting on hacking....

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
Years
  • Nevermind. Since I cant seem to figure out a way to alter character dialogue without using the Hex editing, which confuses the hell out of me, Ive decided to leave the hacking to the people who actually know what they're doing....

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • To edit text and whatnot you've got a few options.
    You can go hunting for A-Text, a tool that only edits text...
    You can learn to script, as with scripting you can not only edit nearly all of the text in game, but add MORE text and events as well.
    Or you can go old-school and get a table file and hex edit the text manually...
    (Which would require translating the hex into letters, which wouldn't be too difficult with the right info...)

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Ive honestly looked over the beginner tutorial for scripting, and it was still pretty confusing to me.....I wont pretend like I know everything, nor will I deny Im slow in the head, but hex editing is tough for me to get.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Well, from MY experience, learning to script first was easier cause I was working with words that all had single meanings, in a hex editor, 3B can mean one thing in ONE part of the ROM, but a totally different thing elsewhere in the rom.

And it's all just math when you get down to it, take it slow, and start by getting XSE (eXtreme Script Editor)
    It can be found in the toolbox, in HackMew's thread.
    Get it, open it, and press F2 on your keyboard, it'll open up the best guide IMO for beginners to scripting, and it even gives you a good few lessons on HEX.
    Worth a shot, you've got nothing to lose but a few hours time.

The most important thing, never lose hope, and have fun!

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Hey don't get discouraged by scripting it's quite easy once you get the hang of it. For example this is a simple script (with XSE) that just has the character say something.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    msgbox @tlk 0x2
    end

#org @tlk
    = Hi, I'm CheatFreak.\nIsn't this hack awesome?

Notice: @tlk and @start can be anything you want it to be. msgbox 0x2 is the msgbox for talking. nothing more is required for general talking. End ends the script. #dynamic + 0x800000 just searches the rom for free space.

See it's not as hard as it seems. Just reading a few tutorials (I recomment Diegoisawesome's) can help you get into the swing of things.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Ive honestly looked over the beginner tutorial for scripting, and it was still pretty confusing to me.....I wont pretend like I know everything, nor will I deny Im slow in the head, but hex editing is tough for me to get.
    If all you want to do is edit text, you can use XSE and edit ONLY where is says
    the text that the character will say:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
    msgbox @tlk 0x2
    end

#org @tlk 
    = [COLOR=Red]Hi, I'm CheatFreak.\nIsn't this hack awesome?[/COLOR]
    The \n is a code for "new line". Otherwise, it's pretty simple.

And then....
    Just Starting on hacking....

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Well, I could take another crack at this....I mean, if I can beat the Silver version Elite 4 with just a Kadabra, I could probably get the hang of scripting.....

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • The 2 are no where near related... lol
    It was meant to mean 'If I can do one hard thing, then I have a shot at doing this other hard thing' and I dont mean any of that as a dirty phrase...Serious, I deposited all but my Lvl 64 Kadabra and ran over the Eltie 4. It had Psybeam, Psychic, Dig, and Ice Punch, and I managed to own every single one of the Silver 4 and the champ.

Dystopia

What goes here?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2010
    Regarding the text dilemma, to sort it out perfectly it would be advisable to use HackMew's eXtreme Script Editor's Text Adjuster (accessed through using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + T). Basically, you type the text out without the equals sign, copy it, paste it in the Text Adjuster and hit convert, then insert.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Regarding the text dilemma, to sort it out perfectly it would be advisable to use HackMew's eXtreme Script Editor's Text Adjuster (accessed through using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + T). Basically, you type the text out without the equals sign, copy it, paste it in the Text Adjuster and hit convert, then insert.
    That link of his doesnt work....

Back