• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jynk's gone bad

Years
    I can see how someone can be offended as it clearly resembles the old blackface look. I'm actually surprised no one made a big deal over the blackface looking squid things in Locoroco too.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Why wasn't it racist for her saying a Ganguro looks like that Blackface character? I think Jynx is better purple but why doesn't it go both ways?

I dunno, I was just saying a reason I had heard for it being racist.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    To be honest, I think that while it is better purple, I think calling attention to something the can be perceived as racist is only going to make people think of it as racist. If you think that Jynx EVER looked like a black person, I think that person is more racist.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I do not think Jynx was meant to be Racist...but I don;t want to see an Evolution of it either...

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I do not think Jynx was meant to be Racist...but I don;t want to see an Evolution of it either...
    It wasn't meant to be racist, I mean again, the Pokemon Company doesn't design Pokemon to intentionally offend people...then again...XD

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it is fine... But, never really liked the poke...

Years
    It wasn't meant to be racist, I mean again, the Pokemon Company doesn't design Pokemon to intentionally offend people...then again...XD
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the creators didn't really try to offend people. They probably just made Jynks the way they wanted it made. They proabably didn't see her face offending people. I mean come on look at all the other black colored Pokemon out there. Perfected example Honchkrow is colored black all over. But hey I don't see anyone offended by that. But then again you got to look real close at Jynks. She has big lips, a black color face, and some big eyes. So I could kinda see why some people could've been offended by that. So I don't really think the creators tried to do that to offend people. But like you had said"then again..."they probably did. But heck we don't really know lolxD

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Okay I get Akio123s point. The more I read peoples reasons why Jynx is offensive the more I get offended.

Years
    Ok...

Here's the thing, Rougela was thought to be a Blackface, but Japan doesn't mind such things due to cultural differences.

Dogasu has a great article about this:
    Pokemon is "racist" - Rougela (Jynx) is a pokemon who is an ice-type and a psychic-type. She also happens to resemble racist stereotypes of black people that were common up until the middle of the 20th century.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Here's the thing, Rougela was thought to be a Blackface, but Japan doesn't mind such things due to cultural differences.

Pokemon is "racist" - Rougela (Jynx) is a pokemon who is an ice-type and a psychic-type. She also happens to resemble racist stereotypes of black people that were common up until the middle of the 20th century.
    Well yeah we all knew that, but the thing is though, that people are going to continue to think these things if society keeps raising the question. The point is it's not a blackface and people need to realize that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010

Hello everyone I decided to come and see what was in the 'Pokemon TV and Movie' section and I agree that Jynx resembles a blackface and these racial caricatures were portrayed very poorly in the early media. I want to keep it confidental of how I found out about this though. I am not saying that Jynx is a blackface though, but resembles one.
    I read the whole article and there is something I want to point out that Mexican is a nationality and the group of people that the person is referring to are mestizos.
    I am not trying to be mean or anything, but shouldn't this thread be mention in 'Pokemon General' section since Jynx is not limited to the anime.

Last edited:

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Here's what I think. Jynx isn't racist. People looked/look at her/it and thought/think that Pokemon is racist just because of one creature. Jumping to conclusions just because someone looks diferent or out of the ordinary isn't racism; I think the word we're looking for prejudice. Why must society turn one little thing into a big hoo-ha? So what if Jynx looked/looks like a blackface? [what the heck is blackface, anyway??] It's just a Pokemon; a thing created to peak people's interests. Nothing more.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Here's what I think. Jynx isn't racist. People looked/look at her/it and thought/think that Pokemon is racist just because of one creature. Jumping to conclusions just because someone looks diferent or out of the ordinary isn't racism; I think the word we're looking for prejudice. Why must society turn one little thing into a big hoo-ha? So what if Jynx looked/looks like a blackface? [what the heck is blackface, anyway??] It's just a Pokemon; a thing created to peak people's interests. Nothing more.

You don't even know what blackface is (puts palm on my head and shakes head for having to explain it.)

Blackface is a form of entertainment made back in the reconstruction period after the Civil War. Basically, some white guys entertain people by putting black soot on their face, covering almost every aspect of their face save for the lips, giving the allusion that the so-called "Black stock character" has big lips. It was created in vaudeville entertainment, and it basically hams up every black stereotype to the max (especially "Little Black Sambo", one of the worst offending black stereotypes of all time.).

for more information, it's on here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Ironically, at one point in the script of the film "O brother, where art thou?!" mentions that Everett, Pete, and Delmar were in Blackface.

Ceilidh

<3
    Years
    I always thought her black "skin" was... well, nothing. Like some sort of ghost.

Because when she faints on the pokemon stadium games her "skin" vanishes /:

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I always thought her black "skin" was... well, nothing. Like some sort of ghost.

Because when she faints on the pokemon stadium games her "skin" vanishes /:

Dogasu mentioned something about the Stadium Games not being canon or something in his article. In fact, out of all the excuses he listed, the only one he thought might have been a plausible enough explaination for Jynx to counteract the Blackface arguement was the Nordic Ice Princess one.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I think that people blew it all out of proportion. And hey, it seems a bit ironic to me that 'the face can't be black, it must be a different colour'. It's black, so it must be changed? Seems a bit racist in itself, if I may be so bold as to throw that in there. Of course, I know that's not right, but still, it nagged at me when I first heard about it. Don't flame me, please! ^_^;

You know Jynx is the correct spelling, right? Not Jynks. =]
    xX

Back