• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Kanto Explorers: The Lost Gem

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
  • Kanto Explorers: The Lost Gem

Introduction

I've given up on Wisteria, for now. I want to start again, learn from the ground up and build my knowledge of the Red engine. To do this I've decided to create a simple hack that will build this knowledge. The idea came to me when I was thinking about how mysterious and anonymous the character Red is and how we never meet his father or find out much about his family.

Hack of
    Pokemon Red

Story

The setting is Kanto, around 100 years before Red, Blue and Green set off on their adventures. Red's Great Grandfather is set a task by a mysterious fellow known as Eli, which he comes across in Viridian Forest on his 10th birthday. The task is simple, to retrieve the Genesis Gem from Indigo Lake and bring it back to him. As he journeys through Kanto, he notices the changes of the old world to the modern. More Pokemon are appearing and older ones dying out. A new fad known as Pokemon Training Gyms is starting up in the bigger towns. Forests are being destroyed to buid housing for the rising population of people.

The Three Zhiquian Gemstones

There are three gemstones, forged by the so-called creators of the universe. They all contain dormant elements, element Fire, element Water and element Thunder. These stones in the wrong hands can be activating, releasing their terrific yet horrifying power. Eli, descendant of the Elders, knows all about the gemstones, and believes one is hidden in Kanto, the Water Gemstone. Where it is, he hasn't a clue, but it is said that Articuno and Suicune have been seen resting in Indigo Lake. The Fire and Thunder Gemstones are elsewhere, there whereabouts completely unknown, which is a good thing, for they are powerful.

Changes in Kanto

- No Pokemon League
    - Barely any Gyms
    - Indigo Plateau is a lake
    - Lavender Town is a cheerful town
    - Celedon Mart is in construction
    - Pallet Town is a farm
    - Safari Zone is a forest
    - No Pokemon Professers
    - Only 70 known Pokemon

Screenshots

Kanto Explorers: The Lost Gem

Videos

First Script Edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEeaPjLLgU

Progress

Pallet Farm - 85% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 70% Events

Route 1 - 33% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 0% Events
    - 0% Encounters

Viridian City - 50% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 0% Events

Route 2 - 36% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 10% Events
    - 0% Encounters

Diglett's Cave - 100% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 100% Encounters

Vermillion City - 50% Complete
    - 100% Mapped
    - 0% Events

Beta 1 - 59% Complete

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Thi concept it pretty amazing really. Now it seems really RPGish (as in more forests & wilderness and less modernization). Incidentally it says "old pokemon dying out" does that mean fake pokemon? Or is it referring to fossil Pokemon.

~Red

Years
  • Thi concept it pretty amazing really. Now it seems really RPGish (as in more forests & wilderness and less modernization). Incidentally it says "old pokemon dying out" does that mean fake pokemon? Or is it referring to fossil Pokemon.

Both! I have plans for all the fossil pokemon to be catchable in the wild except Aerodactyl.

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Bookmarked I loved Wisteria, and I like the idea of the setting 100 hundred years in the past. Hope to play Beta 1

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
  • The plot is interesting, as well as the screenshots, I am looking forward for more unto this hack. Good luck!

ChaosJester083

Still alive
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2019
    I think that there need to be more red hacks so seeing is really cool. Your hack looks awsome and I think it will turn out really cool.

~Red

Years
  • Small update for you all. Progress is slow but atleast I'm being careful and pre-planning everything this time.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2021
    No Pokemon League?

Is this going to be something like an RPG??

Well, sounds interesting!

KoBRe LaiR

Pokemon Forest Nature ©
    Years
  • It's always nice to see people making some hacks of the original games. I specially like your concept of making a hack that takes place years before any of the story lines. Looking forward to see more.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    I miss playing old hacks same to this one and I am glad that there are still some who makes hacks like this, I'll be looking forward unto this hack!

~Red

Years
  • No Pokemon League?

Is this going to be something like an RPG??

Well, sounds interesting!

Pokemon is already somewhat of an RPG game, it's how it's classed. Turn-based fighting and grinding and fully open-world is common in RPGs. But yes, I hope to make it more of the traditional RPG with medieval maps and such.

---------------

The whole idea is that the story takes place on a crossing line between what makes the future and what stays the past. Once this line is crossed, technology accelerates and Pokemon becomes more about competition and not about nature. During the game, you will see both sides of this line, such as the gyms that are being built and various cameos of the elite four before they become famous. You will also see the nature side of it, there are more Pokemon Breeders and Traders, towns aren't as big as they are now.

I plan on including a younger Bill too. He will show you a time machine that will allow you to go to the far far future too for a section of the game. In this future the world is just full of greedy pokemon fighters, no forest just the occasional garden in the urban wasteland it becomes.

After seeing this future, and bringing the gemstone to Eli, I plan on adding two different endings to the game. But I won't go into much detail on that. Did I also mention that I plan on making a sequel to this hack? Maybe even a sequel to that too. Kanto Adventures is a series of hacks, not just one. They are all Red hacks.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    This caught my eye a while ago and I really liked the look of it. It's really refreshing to see a Red hack out there, and what's more one that has a decent amount of work put into it. And with Red, that's even more since it's more of a challenge to hack it than, say, the Advance series (which has copious amounts of tools to do the job for you).

Not only that, but it has a very interesting and intriguing story which I'm looking forward to seeing more of. It's exciting to write a story of the past (and future) version of a place that everyone knows so well - so many opportunities for references that fans will feel good about spotting. Then there's also evidence of extensive (by Red standards) graphics work, which is again very impressive (goes just that little bit further than Brown in that department so far as the overworld are concerned imho), so nice one there. ^^

... OK, maybe I'm rambling a bit. ^^' But I am intrigued in this. Keep up the hard work! Looks like you're doing great so far. :)

Back