• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids making me feel old :(

poopydude

PKMN Master
Years
  • As part of a community service requirement for my school I am required to fulfill a certain amount of hours in an elementary school. I was placed in a 2nd grade class and when they got some free time we began talking about Pokemon. Long story short When I mentioned Misty these kids looked at me like I had 3 heads and they had no idea who i was talking about. Kids making me feel old :(

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    It's a bit like the time one of my little sister's friends came over and I was talking about how Blastoise was cool, and...

"Who's Blastoise?"

.__.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    Instead of letting them make you feel old, why not impress them with your experience and wisdom? :P

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • I remember I showed my friend's 8 year old nephew the original Pokémon Red and Game Boy. I don't know what shocked him more, the fact the only the game didn't have color on the original Game Boy, or the fact there was only 151 in Gen 1, sweeties. XD

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    I'm 16. My peers think I'm weird for watching Pokemon. They think it's even more weird that I like Dawn.

:/

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Kids these days... I don't have the opportunity to hang around young kids all that much, but if it happened to me, I'd definitely administer lessons in old-school Pokemon, though I bet they could school me on the 5th gen Pokemon because I'm still not totally familiar with them, lol

Even just remembering the rudimentary graphics of R/B makes me feel old.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    5th generation... I gotta grab my IPod and look em up every time I see one. I don't know squat about them.

Years
  • 5th generation... I gotta grab my IPod and look em up every time I see one. I don't know squat about them.

SAME. I have no clue what pokemon are in the new games, even though I've played through it. XD I miss the old days of talking about the first gen without getting a funny look when you mention ____ pokemon.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I can easily imagine that there are lots of kids around me that have probably never played the games or watched the anime or traded cards with one another. It's not a Zeitgeisty thing for a lot of people any more, so kids don't have the constant exposure to the franchise that my friends and I did over 10 years ago. While I've never spoken to any children about Pokemon, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't know what a Porygon was, for example.

Years
  • Tragic. I know the feeling of feeling old with this franchise; somewhat of a seasoned veteran if you will. However, I do feel it to be an honor of sorts - knowing that you were one of the initial children that helped bring this storied franchise to what it is today. I cherish the fact that I know who Misty is and why Charizard is "the most powerful Pokémon".

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    It's one thing to know how much time has passed since Pokemon first became such a big thing, but to actually see it reflected in the younger generation who have no idea where it all originated from is quite another...it's a little terrifying, and I expect it's only going to get worse as more years go by, since whilst Pokemon is still quite a successful franchise, it isn't talked about anywhere near as much as what it was when I was a kid. It doesn't surprise me that times have changed - you only have to look at the extreme censorship pretty much everything undergoes these days to see that - but it IS a bit disheartening.

Who knows, perhaps one day they'll remake all the old episodes of the anime in the current style, or remaster the original games for the third time, to bring it to the next generation. Maybe in another decade or so.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I happen to keep my love of Pokemon quiet because people just don't understand that it appeals to both young people and old people. I get called childish enough as it is, I don't want to be pressed into everyone thinking I'm a pedo now or something -.-

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • I remember a time when everyone at my school traded their Mewtwos and Eevees and spent countless hours leveling up their Pokemon.
    Now most other kids at my school call Pokemon childish(which probably isn't too far from the truth :P) so I like to keep my conversations about Pokemon to a minimum. Except here, though.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Theres this girl about 9, just turned 9. A family friend (well her and her mum). At the start of the year she started getting into pokemon (her mum got another boyfriend with two sons, I think that's where it started). First she was obsessed with piplup and I was a tad worried that she wouldn't know about the original pokemon. That is until I had to babysit her for a night and we watched the original pokemon shows in kanto all night, that I remembered watching like 10 years ago. And then she got obsessed with bulbasaur. And then I gave her these cards (not tcg ones, just pretty ones) with kanto pokemon on them, printed at least before 2000 that i didn't want anymore. She knew like almost every pokemon on them, got excited about the charizard one and thought it was the best. And I know heartgold is a newer game still, but it's still the jhoto region, and I thought it was cool when she got excited about me letting her borrow it.
    It's just good that she knows all the old pokemon, a lot of kids her ages wouldn't have a clue.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Not even kids at school want to play Pokemon here. It's sad because they just want to play all those new HD games on their other consoles or PC and mostly are just hack and slash games. Pokemon is not even childish. My mom asks me from time to time if I still my Pokemon games. I am almost 20. D:

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
  • That's why you need to force all the old games on kids these days like a dictator so they don't turn into terrible people.

I have two nephews, and when they were younger (7/8, around the same age I was when Red/Blue came out) I gave them my GBC and Pokemon Blue. I pretty much saved their souls.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ah, this is why I trained my brother and sister well. They know old Pokemon and have either played or watched me play some older games from gen I and II, spin offs included. My brother even asked for Blue and Gold version for his birthday once and got them both. I was so proud. :') Sadly, his Gold's battery was dead so he didn't get to fully experience the old Johto, but he enjoyed hearing about the differences between the originals and the remakes. I think I did well!

It's gonna bug me when I'm a teacher and kids will be talking about gen VI (I assume I'll be teaching by gen VI!) and I'll be like "Yeah, Umbreon is my favorite" and get looked at funny. Too bad I won't be teaching a Pokemon class. :P

Back