• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids these days...

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I disagree, young people get such a hard time. In the UK, young people are portrayed by the media as hoodie-wearing, uneducated, knife-carrying thugs. We don't really give young people a chance, except of course when it comes to exam time. Then the younger folks all study very hard and get good grades. But what will you find on TV and in newspapers just after exams is a load of condascending journalists and reporters who say "Oh but exams are getting easier". Yes, exams are slightly easier than the days where your exams consisted of slaying a dragon, but did it never cross your mind that in the information age, perhaps kids are a little smarter than you were at the time? This is what it boils down to. People condemn and stereotype the youth because the youth of today are more knowledgable of the world and it scares some older members of society.

I know I'm quoting a page one post here, but I have to say I agree with this.

Being fron the UK myself, I'm often disgusted that the media portrays young people in this way. And like you say, at the end of every year when young people break records or whatever for exam pass rates, they say it's because the exams are getting easier. However throughout the rest of the year they complain that schools are not as good as they used to be and lack funding.

It really is a fear of being usurped, I suppose. The fear that the next generation of people will be on the whole more intelligent than the one which preceeded it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    But to be honest, I am sick of the generalisation that is being forced upon us kids. Even though most kids may be fat or troubled it doesn't mean all of us are. Who has exposed us to all of the stuff like sex, drugs, smoking ect?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    FaithInMe: bet it feels good to talk down to people who just haven't lived as long as you have

as for the topic, it is what it is and i dont worry myself about it

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Hell yes, the 93ers are terrible. Though in general I feel bad for them. :(
    EH I'M A 93er D=<

Actually, I agree with you - I'm among one of the few 93er's that didn't get a ton of crap while I was growing up. And you know what? All the others are still getting expensive crap EVEN THOUGH we're in a recession and EVEN THOUGH we live in Michigan and EVEN THOUGH half of their parents don't have jobs. I don't think it's our generation - I think it's the brain capacity of the previous generation. Thanks to all that crap my birthyear is full of jerks. Self-righteous jerks who show off their wallets in Detroit. Ah well, at least I won't be the one shot.

Years
    Oh...well, thanks. -considered a kid of this generation-

Well, of course, I completely agree with all this, I think we're getting too spoiled, corrupted, and...everything else you guys said.
    At school, we were watching this drug addiction video (which was really disturbing and was supposed to be completely serious) and whenever there was a before/after picture, the students just under my grade all laughed. The principal was so mad at them.
    Don't ask me why they laughed, it's way beyond my comprehension. But it's kinda related to this conversation? That the kids these days are ...like this? But it could've been a maturing thing, the other grades didn't laugh.
    So you still can't just determine how bad it's gonna be, doesn't it still take time for us to mature?
    I guess I'm not putting much of a fight here, but still. xD

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    No, it's like that at my school too. People even find humor in other suggestive things. Like, this dude said something suggestive to this girl, and she played along like it was normal :/

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Who has exposed us to all of the stuff like sex, drugs, smoking ect?

Curiosity has.....

Just because someone is exposed to something, doesn't mean they have to go and try it. It's their decision to do things like that or not, so you (And other people) shouldn't blame others for a decision you or other people chose to make.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I still think the '93+ lot are so badly brought up and so spoilt, that they should be ashamed of themselves.

I resent that. Evidence shows that as each generation passes we (as in humans) become smarter at rate of I think it was about an IQ of 5-10 and what does the previous generation do? Claim the tests are getting easier.

Which generation has the bad attitude I wonder?

Only a small percentage of us are badly brought up and spoilt, it's just you only ever look at them rather than the people who do well in school, work for charities and etcetera.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    I resent that. Evidence shows that as each generation passes we (as in humans) become smarter at rate of I think it was about an IQ of 5-10 and what does the previous generation do? Claim the tests are getting easier.

Only a small percentage of us are badly brought up and spoilt, it's just you only ever look at them rather than the people who do well in school, work for charities and etcetera.

This was my point.

Saying that the 93+ folks should be ashamed of themselves is ridiculous. Ashamed for being born? Also kids arn't more spoiled today, we just have more wealth than we did even just 15-20 years ago. Is it wrong for parents to want their kids to have the best life possible? Its not spoiling, its nurturing and its what all a parents are obligated to do.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Well, too be fair bud, the people from our generation are rather sad. I don't include them in that view.

I still think the '93+ lot are so badly brought up and so spoilt, that they should be ashamed of themselves.
    Will, I love you, but I don't appreciate you saying I should be ashamed of myself.

Really, the main reason the previous generations believe that each newer generation is worse is because they're all used to how they grew up, without all the fancy stuff kids have nowadays. They want kids to grow up like they did, and I can understand why.

Sure, I hate my generation. However, most of the posts in this thread are making it seem like every damn kid now is a little jerk.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    Well, too be fair bud, the people from our generation are rather sad. I don't include them in that view.

Whether that's true or not, it's hardly their fault. Blame the parents!

Intelligence is hardly the most important thing. I am far more worried about the moral state of this generation than the intelligence level. While I am surprised to learn that we are getting smarter on average, whether we are or not does not really matter to me. We have extremely intelligent people that may be on either side of a controversial moral issue, so that doesn't help a whole ton :\

And where do you live that charity work is typical? Where I live, yes, because everybody is highly religious, but in more typical areas I didn't see much charity work getting done at all. Sure, there are the odd ones that do it, but most teenagers are pretty self-centered. Then again, this is typical among most of the generations, so instead of looking at stuff like this, we should look at the things that are different.

The median age of those that have taken part in premarital sex has dropped 3 years in the past half-century. Those that have taken drugs ever have increased from 30% to 40% of people in 20 years. Am I blaming it on the year 1993? No. But I am saying that there is a worrying decline. Then again, maybe many people may think premarital sex is okay, so it isn't an issue.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    And where do you live that charity work is typical? Where I live, yes, because everybody is highly religious, but in more typical areas I didn't see much charity work getting done at all. Sure, there are the odd ones that do it, but most teenagers are pretty self-centered. Then again, this is typical among most of the generations, so instead of looking at stuff like this, we should look at the things that are different.
    I never said it was typical, just that some do, do it and it is never them who people focus on. For instance I don't work for charity, and I don't know more than one or two people in my school who do, but my point was why can't people focus on them rather than the hoodies.
    The median age of those that have taken part in premarital sex has dropped 3 years in the past half-century. Those that have taken drugs ever have increased from 30% to 40% of people in 20 years. Am I blaming it on the year 1993? No. But I am saying that there is a worrying decline. Then again, maybe many people may think premarital sex is okay, so it isn't an issue.
    I admit the drugs thing is bad, but what is wrong with pre-marital sex? Like my RE teacher said; "Try before you buy". Although if you are talking about the median dropping under 16 I can see where you are coming from.

Last edited:
    Back