• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Kill that zombie, Mom!"

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    My dad thinks girls shouldn't play video games so he doesn't like me playing them but he still buys them for me once in a while and sends them to me, I think he's only seen me play a video game once, and it was because I was playing a golf game and my dad is practically obsessed with golf haha.

conversation my my mom that pretty much explains my mom's view of games:
    Mom: Are you still playing video games?
    me: yeah.
    mom: I think you should stop, you're a young lady! you should do lady-like things, you know, no guy will want a girl who plays games, They want a lady-like pretty, young girl.
    me: okay...so what's something lady-like?
    mom: like, going shopping.
    me: But I already did, you said I have too much clothes and said I should stop buying too many things.
    mom: It's okay, I'll give you money, do you want me to buy you a chanel bag?
    me: no, it's okay...
    mom: But, I just want you to look pretty all the time! (my mom's response to everything in life ever)

She usually doesn't mind me playing video games though unless I play all the time. But the weird thing is sometimes she brags to her friends that i'm some sort of gaming genius and once told me I should pursue a career in game design. o.o Kinda weird because she also is the type to not care if you're 2 minutes away from a save point and says things like,"If you don't turn off that game I won't let you play another video game for the rest of your life!" My mom tried to play once before, the game was Pokemon: Heartgold, it was pretty much a fail, and I had to tell her what to do every turn, and I actually somehow almost lost with my overpowered prize team in a rematch against Clair, that's how bad it was. I dunno how these parents created children who all love playing video games.

I don't mind how old the person is i'm playing with unless they're like a 10 year old playing a 18+ game then i'd be a bit worried.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Hah, my dad played Diablo when I was just a kid! It's kind of nostalgic seeing my dad and my elder brother defeat the final boss together (it was multiplayer I think), and I'd watch them play beside them. Dad doesn't play video games anymore, sadly. :C

Mom, on the other hand, doesn't seem to play at all, since she's not TOO good with technology other than the computer. She and dad aren't that supportive of us playing video games, but mom to a lesser extent.

King!

better
    Years
  • I do not think I can count the amount of times I've said 'One second, I'm almost done saving.' But other then that, my parents are pretty cool when it comes to video games. They don't really care what I do with my free time (as long as I'm like, not doing something bad).

My whole family pretty much plays video games sometimes. My grandparents even bought a Wii for their house, but all they do is bowl and my grandpa has a hunting game. My mom, dad, and sister will someitmes play casual things like Just Dance or Wii Sports, but besides that my mom isn't much of a gamer. My dad has a couple of games for our Wii, but they're just golfing games. He does a bunch of stuff on his computer though, like Dragon Age and whatever.

Oh, and I've heard this a thousand times too:

Mom: Let's go!
    Me: I can't save, I'm in a battle.
    Mom: Oh, you're about to be in a battle all right.

-.-'

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i actually just got yelled at for playing video games, MY PARENTS THINK THERE LIKE THE DEVIL

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    My dad doesn't care, though it's been so long since I've last read a book for purposes other than school, he kind of wants me to stop for a moment and read something.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • My parents don't play games for the most part, and they used to get on me about playing them. Now they're just kind of indifferent. Both of them play some casual Flash games and stuff, but that's just about it.

My dad used to play racing games all the time, but nowadays he hasn't really attempted any. Probably mostly because the consoles are all in my room. XD

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • I kinda wish my parents were more into video games, or at least be more understanding of them. They won't even let me save after they say "Turn it off. Now."

Years
  • My Dad has never played, and will likely never play a video game. My Mom, however, is a different story.

My Mom's first game was Pokemon Sapphire (a 'legit' gamecart she found at a garage sale). At the time, I had Ruby, and I'd been raving about it all the time. So, she stole my brother's SP and started playing.

"WHY DO I HAVE TO PUT IN MY NAME"
    "I PICKED THE FIRE BIRD BECAUSE IT'S CUTE"
    "WHY CAN'T I JUMP UP THE LEDGE"
    "I HAVE A FIRE BIRD WHY CAN'T I BURN THE BUSH"

Then, two weeks later, she was patiently explaining Pokemon breeding to me and showing me her spreadsheets on her Pokemon IVs.

Then she found out that because it was a broken cart, time never moved and berries didn't grow, so she stopped playing.

Instead, she took up my Oblivion save and killed everyone, 'because they have weird faces and I thought they had the plague'.

... Yeah.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • You know what annoys me? When anyone goes afk in the middle of something important in a game when they could've used some forethought to avoid it. Parents aren't the only ones who do it. Sometimes unexpected, more important things pop up, cool, I'm down with that and it's happened to me before, but if you know you're going to need to leave, either deal with it beforehand or give some advance notice. But frankly I'd prefer someone to go afk and feed their poor starving babies rather than be like those parents you read about who neglect their children for video games, even if it annoys me.

As for my parents playing, no, they don't play video games, and they barely understand them. They used to be very unsympathetic to the cries of 'I NEED TO SAVE JUST HOLD ON PLZ' or 'HOLD ON!! I'M NEARLY DONE SAVING!!' a million times a day, but now they've accepted it's just how my brother and I are and they can't really complain because usually we're fairly well-behaved. XD; They help support our video game habits though so it's cool.

Back