• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kinarii's Pixels~

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    KINARII'S PIXELS

So I noticed the other day that the Pixel Art section is running contests again, and after browsing through the thread I suddenly felt compelled to make something for it. I had entered a contest once before, though it was 3 years ago in February of '06, and I had a different account, DragonHeart.

Today, I made another piece of pixel art, and now I feel that it's time I made a thread so that I may post my pixels, beginning with a few old pieces that some of you might remember, and adding new pieces as I make them, including my two most recent.

And now, without further ado, the pixels:

love_dragon.gif
    moon_dragon.gif
    sundragon.png
    shadow0ze.gif
    liljj5ls.gif
    littlefoxies.gif

These are some of my old pixels, all at least 2 or 3 years old. The dragon on the far left was the entry in the old February contest.

Now for the new stuff:

eae0a1327248aec9edfbf6fe1daf557e.png

This is, of course, the entry in this month's contest.

a611431ecbef75c0a2631071cfcc9726.png

This is my OC, vaguely chibified.

ec9d99471ca7376deda99b010dd79e7a.png

NEW! This is one of my cats as a loaf of bread.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Oh I think that Leafeon in=s gorgeous! That shadow gives it a really nice touch.

I see you like animal type styles. Have you ever tried people?

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    If the couple of trainer edits I did 3 years ago count as people, then yeah (they aren't posted). But generally I stick to non-people things for pixel art and any other form of art I do because human anatomy is loads harder for me than animals or objects.

Thanks for the comment!

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • That Leafeon is really beaultiful 0_0... what about a gif of it running? It would be perfect, keep making doos sprites like those =p.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Ha ha, there's no way I could do something like that. The most complicated animation I do is the little blinky stuff at the top, plus I don't know anything about run cycles and stuff.

Thank you, though! :3

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thanks for your comments and support!

Oh, and I'm working on another piece, so I'll get it up when it's done. :3

EDIT: New piece is up! Behold the Kitty-loaf!

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I could sit here and type about how amazing your leafeon is...but i think you've got that down now...

Let me first say how amazed i am at how much detail you are able to put in such little spaces! The dragons at the top are wonderfully done.

the blue one seems to have a couple inconsistantcies with the shading... it has a light spot on it's tail but not on it's head at the same angle... but still, the belly sections are very intricate along with the wings. You masterfully posed it and gave it great anatomy! i LOVE it and give it a 9/10 stars...only because of the foresaid reason...

the red one is a bit confusing though... i cannot figure out if i'm looking at his chest or his back... the postitioning of his (on the right) arm is just a bit awkward, so it is tough to figure out his pose... i think it can be attributed to the shading. Maybe try to darken where his arm meets his body on whichever arm is the back one... or else right now he just looks like he is being frisked... or holding his hands up like he's being arrested... either way it is a bit awkward... i am also not a fan of his tail... the end is so squared, it just looks funny. maybe try something different...

both the gray ones get no complaints from me, as i have none ^_^

the animations are cute...cool...

i know that they are old works, and sometimes people are reluctant to go back and change it...but you really should, they are great and you could make them that much better!

If the old stuff was amazing, then the new stuff is mind blowing!!! They have great form, poses, anatomy, coloration, and thought put into them. The shading is pretty much perfect, except a couple little things...

the bright spot on the cat's far ear it more towards the back, while the bright spot on the front ear is more towards the front... it is inconsistant sources... or else, it's perfect! (And the "c" word which i'm not supposed to say...)

the streaks on the dragon's hair are a bit spilt... they don't really have a single light source... they are just all over...

Leafeon is perfect... 11/10 stars on that!

Your an amazing spriter, and you need to know that! You fall along the lines of one of the best that i have ever met, with samson, crossell and jessie bell... not to mention a small skew of others...

Please, keep your work comming, keep the skill up, and don't ever, EVER stop!

Keep Spriting!

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Holy fish-sticks, I don't think I've ever gotten such a nice, in-depth crit like, ever. o.o;

THANK YOU!

I was, of course, not as good at shading back in the day as I am now, and definitely still need to work on it.

On the cat, I got kinda lazy and rushed the shading towards the end, hence the problem with the ear. I'll probably go back and fix it tomorrow.

As for the hair on the dragon, I'd literally never tried shading that sort of texture before in pixels, so I knew something was kinda funky about it. I'll fix that, too.

I'm one of the types that don't go back and fix really old stuff, though mostly because I'm really lazy. However, I might just consider fixing some of these. That red dragon was a sort of pixel-over of this drawing of mine (which also was lacking in the shading department), and I don't think I really put very much effort into it compared to some of the other old works, so I totally get what you're saying about it.

Again, thanks so much for the crit. I don't even get anything like that on dA. Ever.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Ah... you have a deviant are too! YAY!

Anyhow, i looked at the pic on dA and i saw the pose... like i said, it's like he's being frisked, and it's hard to tell in the sprite, i think more or less b/c of the shading by the arms.

Don't worry about the old stuff though, i'm just like you in the sense that if it's done, it's done! (unless there's something so wrong about it that going back to fix it will make a world of difference...)

Just keep posting new stuff, this is all great!

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Sorry, but I don't take requests. Mostly it's out of laziness, but I'm actually really limited in what I can do (at least I think I am), so I don't like to do requests simply because I'd be picking and choosing and leaving people out.

Thanks for the comment, though! :3

Years
  • Kitty-loaf! :D I likes!

I enjoy the dithering and the stripes, it looks amazing! You've got the orbish cat eyes done very well! Slit eyes are cliche, because they only happen with bright lights and cats have adorable eyes~

The only qualms I have is that the ears are pointed, and the continuing bread is rounded. It may just be my mind but I see the bread connected to the face more so than just a front. (Do I make sense?)
    I'm not sure if there is a way to "fix" that or combine them without it looking strange, but it's just something to be aware of.
    Also, it's not a mistake but I wonder if it would look nice with whiskers. Another one with my mind, the distinguishing features of a cat includes whiskers with eyes, ears, and tail.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Yeah, I had kind of a tough time figuring out how to splice a cat and a loaf of bread, though I've seen it done before on dA somewhere. As you said, the pointed ears are kind of a funky thing to fuse into the rounded top of bread, so there are sure to be numerous ways to do it. This is just the one I came up with. As for whiskers, I don't think they'd show up too well against light orange and white, though I agree that they are a defining feature of cats.

Also, about the eyes, I agree that this style is a lot cuter than the slits, plus my cat that I made this after has the biggest round saucer-eyes ever. He's adorable <3

Thanks for the commentary! :3

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • wow these are amazing. I can't see any flaws in any of them. The palettes on some are a little bright but that's just m. They still look nice with those palettes though.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Really good colour and outlining. Nice job. The lefeon is really good. The dithering is perfect. Nice

Armaina

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • A you have a thread here <3
    Saw some of your stuff on DA, nice to see you posting more here. Really love that leafeon entry, the motion looks nice and the form itself looks great. Really hope to see you produce some more work though!

Back