• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

kingdra or dragonnite

Years
    i have a team that needs a dragon because it took me forevcer to beat the eighth badge in HG i had to use my gengar and at least 3 revives
    my team is
    feraligatr
    infernape
    gengar (strongest poke)
    leafeon
    two hm slaves
    i was thinking either kingdra or dragonite
    kingdra only has one weakness but doesn't learn all that many attacks while dragonite has four (i think) but learns some powerful attacks i like kingdra but i dont want to mess up my team if he isnt the right choice...also im trying to build a team that will beat my friends...please help

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    i have a team that needs a dragon because it took me forevcer to beat the eighth badge in HG i had to use my gengar and at least 3 revives
    my team is
    feraligatr
    infernape
    gengar (strongest poke)
    leafeon
    two hm slaves
    i was thinking either kingdra or dragonite
    kingdra only has one weakness but doesn't learn all that many attacks while dragonite has four (i think) but learns some powerful attacks i like kingdra but i dont want to mess up my team if he isnt the right choice...also im trying to build a team that will beat my friends...please help

Well, do you want bulk (Dragonite) or speed (Kingdra)?

I'd suggest Dragonite since you receive a Dratini in-game and you don't have to trade to evolve him. His movepool is also huge compared to Kingdra's. Also, Dragonite only has three weaknesses and access to a recovery move, Roost, which takes one of those weaknesses off and cuts the other in half.

Years
    im not sure which i need bulk or speed i have decent ones of both. and i thought he oonly had three. i dont mind trading thats how i got half my team :p which moves should i teach either? dragonite seems like a tank but compared to clairs kingdra it took me forever to kill that thing and only one hit to kill the rest of her team.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    im not sure which i need bulk or speed i have decent ones of both. and i thought he oonly had three. i dont mind trading thats how i got half my team :p which moves should i teach either? dragonite seems like a tank but compared to clairs kingdra it took me forever to kill that thing and only one hit to kill the rest of her team.

Kingdra's base stats are: 75, 95, 95, 95, 95, 85
    Dragonite's base stats are: 91, 134, 95, 100, 100, 80

Kingdra lacks the HP and defenses required to be bulky. Kingdra also lacks a recovery move other than Rest.

Here are some movesets for Kingdra and Dragonite respectively: https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/kingdra, https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

Years
    so it sounds like i should go for a dragonite?
    how could i get a bagon in hg if there is a way?

the only reason im scared to pick dragonite is that it has 4x weakness to ice attacks while kindra is only weak to dragon

Last edited:

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    so it sounds like i should go for a dragonite?
    how could i get a bagon in hg if there is a way?

the only reason im scared to pick dragonite is that it has 4x weakness to ice attacks while kindra is only weak to dragon

Bagon can be caught in the Safari Zone - Swamp with all blocks leveled up.

If his weakness to Ice scares you, then you shouldn't choose him. Because you obviously don't understand how to compensate for that.

Edit: And no, I didn't mean go for Dragonite. I was just pointing out that each has it's on niche.

Years
    how do i set those blocks up?

and im not new to pokemon just have always had trouble setting up great movesets to make my pokemon fully use their moves
    thanks for your help blaQk you have been really helpful

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    how do i set those blocks up?

and im not new to pokemon just have always had trouble setting up great movesets to make my pokemon fully use their moves
    thanks for your help blaQk you have been really helpful

I have no idea how the new Safari Zone works seeing as I've never used it. You'll have to consult Serebii about that.

Mence has a four times weakness to Ice as well, lol.

jjnerdful

Never post
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    So let me get this straight. You had trouble with a dragon-type gym, so your solution is to get a pokemon with weakness to dragon? Dragon types are weak against their own type.

You should consider an ice pokemon. You'll be in major trouble with Lance if that kingdra gets knocked out.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    lolwut, Dragonite or Kingdra to kill dragons? Sure, just make sure you take an outrage to the face. Starmie, or even Lapras makes for better Dragon counters, and help immensely against Lance, (Starmie owns Gyarados with Thunderbolt, Aerodactyl and Charizard with Surf and don't get me started on some Ice Beam/Blizzard on Dragonite).

regardless, if you really want a Dragon type, Dragonite would be better for this team, with it's better bulk and wider movepool.

DraconicDino

Lurker
    Years
    I agree with Corruptodile; if you want to use a dragon, you should probably go with Dragonite. It'll be more work to get one, sure, but it'll be more worth it.
    Oh, and Bagon evolves into Shelgon which evolves into Salamence. I think you meant to ask where to get Dratini. You can get a Dratini in the Dragon's Den in Blackthorn if you answer all the questions to the quiz right.

@jjnerdful: If Dragon is weak to itself, then using a Dragon-type could still be effective. Sure, Ice-types work better, but if he really wants to have a Dragon-type, why not?

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    I think my username speaks for itself! get yourself a dragonite, and soon you'll forget about any other pokemon in your team, including Gengar! This I guarantee!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    If they want a Dragon let them get a Dragon... Like BlaQk said
    Bulk Dragonite, or speed Kingdra, for Lance you'll want Speed Kingdra can set up against Gyarados, with DD then just Sweep with Outrage...also Outrage is learnt at the battle Frontier which you can't access yet so go with Dragon pulse

@Draconicdino, he asked where to catch Bagon not Dratini maybe for future uses..

EDIT : You might wanna go with a different approach to the Moveset

Icebeam/Blizzard
    Rain dance
    Dragon Pulse
    Waterfall

DD was taken out because of the lack of Physical Dragon moves

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2010
    If it's an ingame team, you obviously need Fly, so Dragonite is the best choice.

Edit : And I'm not very found on HM-slaves. =/

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I agree with Corruptodile; if you want to use a dragon, you should probably go with Dragonite. It'll be more work to get one, sure, but it'll be more worth it.
    Oh, and Bagon evolves into Shelgon which evolves into Salamence. I think you meant to ask where to get Dratini. You can get a Dratini in the Dragon's Den in Blackthorn if you answer all the questions to the quiz right.

@jjnerdful: If Dragon is weak to itself, then using a Dragon-type could still be effective. Sure, Ice-types work better, but if he really wants to have a Dragon-type, why not?

Not necessarily true, you get a Dratini regardless, but get the questions right and you get Extreme Speed. There is the useless trivia of the day :P

Back