• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kitsukitty's Fakemon Sugimoris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
Years
  • READ THIS FIRST PLEASE, OR ELSE I'M PRETTY SURE WE'LL BOTH END UP PRETTY ANGRY.

Hey guys, I'm making a game called Pokémon Opal! It's a fakemon based game made by me and a bunch of other great designers! So, I'll be posting my fakes here in a sugimori style.. Though, I'm a starter, so PLEASE critique NICELY like the rules say... right? Don't say it looks really bad. Use KIND CRITIQUE to express that. It's very annoying when you don't... And please don't come here to say "it looks great!" Tell me why it looks great. That way I know what I'm doing well. Sorry for being so strict with you all.. Here's my newest ones:

Best one so far:
    Spoiler:

I can't go a day without seeing this one... lol, and also my second best:
    Spoiler:

I used the 2-color shading technique.. And pink-metal shines. 2nd evo under progress.
    But I am grounded.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

ANYTHING BELOW HERE IS VERY OLD, DO NOT BOTHER CRITIQUING!
    Spoiler:

After I finished the second one, I actually did another project and learned how to use paths, so the lines on the third evo are MUCH smoother. HUGE pic, I'm sorry!
    Spoiler:

One I think was very good, but the coloring is loose, and the lines are blocky and thick! (Hadn't learned paths!!)

Here's a very old one. It's abnol, a pre-evo to absol. THE FOLLOWING PIECES ARE VERY OLD AND I WANT YOU TO NOTICE THAT. THEY SUCK ALOT MORE BECAUSE I DIDN'T LEARN PATHS YET!

Spoiler:

VERY BIG. AGAIN. Very sorry.

Here's some more at my dA:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I was giving a light shot at sugimori, but I didn't know any of it yet, so I just experimented!

DO NOT USE. I MAY WORK FOR YOUR GAME, BUT I'M REALLY BUSY, DON'T EXPECT FAST WORK!!

Last edited:

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    These are really good! Keep it up!

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
    Years
  • Ok, you want some crits, here are some crits!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

... lol. I may sound a bit harsh, but that´s what crit is for. So don´t take it personal please^^

The first thing that comes in my mind is, that most of these don´t change much, when they evolve (Bowhydro for example). I don´t know if this is supposed to be, if yes, nevermind.^^
    Alright, now to some more detailed things:

First Fake:
    -Same problem as I mentioned before. Maybe give the evos some lines on the back, some spots, marks, anything, that makes it stand out a bit.
    -The head of the last evo looks IMO a bit flat. Maybe it´s because of the ear, because it goes down...

Second one:
    -The clouds don´t look bad, but as you said, the lines are thick.
    -If I were you, I´d remove the cloud, that stands out of it´s chest. Not the whole thiing, just the long thing. For me it looks like an arm. An hitchhikers arm, if you know what I mean XD

Third Fake (Abnol):
    -IMO the head looks very flat... Like it got pressed...^^
    -The face has no shading at all, except for one little light spot. Maybe some shadow under his... helmet? XD
    (-Maybe give the eyes some colour?)

Fourth Fake (Bowsail-Bowhydro):
    -The tail of Bowsail looks... strange... I´d check the lines again.
    -Bowhydros Tail is strange too. It´s too thin at some parts.
    -Bowhydros Tail again^^ Don´t make the line between the tail and the fin light blue.
    The dark blue would be much better.

Fifth Fake (Tulup-Mayribo):
    -Nothing to say, except that Tulup looks a bit fat, if you look between the front legs.

Sixth Fake (Kindleo-Emane):
    -The outlines of both could be a bit darker.
    -I´d remove the white in theyr ears. That just don´t look right. Maybe light orange? Or dark Orange...

All in all, these are good drawn fakes, and I´m waiting for Opal.^^
    But most of them look a bit... blocky... (Not the right word, but I can´t think of a better one). Try to make the outlines rounder.
    Hope that´s crit as you want it, it´s the first time I actually did this much ;)

Good luck,
    Bombah!

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Ok, you want some crits, here are some crits!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

... lol. I may sound a bit harsh, but that´s what crit is for. So don´t take it personal please^^

The first thing that comes in my mind is, that most of these don´t change much, when they evolve (Bowhydro for example). I don´t know if this is supposed to be, if yes, nevermind.^^
    Alright, now to some more detailed things:

First Fake:
    -Same problem as I mentioned before. Maybe give the evos some lines on the back, some spots, marks, anything, that makes it stand out a bit.
    -The head of the last evo looks IMO a bit flat. Maybe it´s because of the ear, because it goes down...

Second one:
    -The clouds don´t look bad, but as you said, the lines are thick.
    -If I were you, I´d remove the cloud, that stands out of it´s chest. Not the whole thiing, just the long thing. For me it looks like an arm. An hitchhikers arm, if you know what I mean XD

Third Fake (Abnol):
    -IMO the head looks very flat... Like it got pressed...^^
    -The face has no shading at all, except for one little light spot. Maybe some shadow under his... helmet? XD
    (-Maybe give the eyes some colour?)

Fourth Fake (Bowsail-Bowhydro):
    -The tail of Bowsail looks... strange... I´d check the lines again.
    -Bowhydros Tail is strange too. It´s too thin at some parts.
    -Bowhydros Tail again^^ Don´t make the line between the tail and the fin light blue.
    The dark blue would be much better.

Fifth Fake (Tulup-Mayribo):
    -Nothing to say, except that Tulup looks a bit fat, if you look between the front legs.

Sixth Fake (Kindleo-Emane):
    -The outlines of both could be a bit darker.
    -I´d remove the white in theyr ears. That just don´t look right. Maybe light orange? Or dark Orange...

All in all, these are good drawn fakes, and I´m waiting for Opal.^^
    But most of them look a bit... blocky... (Not the right word, but I can´t think of a better one). Try to make the outlines rounder.
    Hope that´s crit as you want it, it´s the first time I actually did this much ;)

Good luck,
    Bombah!

You actually seemed to have failed with reading the info!
    "I was giving a light shot at sugimori, but I didn't know any of it yet, so I just experimented!

So, er, yes. Those are very old. You should really only be rating the top two because I had learned sugimori a bit by then. But thank you anyway!

And the blockyness, like I said, was because I didn't learn paths. (much like photoshop's pen tool, I think...) Eventually I learned to use them, though. So the lines on the upcoming ones will be much smoother!

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
    Years
  • You actually seemed to have failed with reading the info!

So, er, yes. Those are very old. You should really only be rating the top two because I had learned sugimori a bit by then. But thank you anyway!

And the blockyness, like I said, was because I didn't learn paths. (much like photoshop's pen tool, I think...) Eventually I learned to use them, though. So the lines on the upcoming ones will be much smoother!

K, didn´t see that...^^
    Anyway, better have too much crit, then nothing at all, right?
    And, theres one thing I have to ask... What´s Sugimori??^^

Besides, thanks for leaving a comment, but this was an older thread, I have a new one, just a few threads under yours XD

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • K, didn´t see that...^^
    Anyway, better have too much crit, then nothing at all, right?
    And, theres one thing I have to ask... What´s Sugimori??^^

Besides, thanks for leaving a comment, but this was an older thread, I have a new one, just a few threads under yours XD

0_0"
    You left me crits for something you didn't know about? -.-"
    Sugimori is the Pokémon style art, by Ken Sugimori. People use the method all the time to make fakemon. Like this: http://plateman.deviantart.com/art/Fadeon-Sugimori-Art-97615791

I did not make that one, of course.
    And an official one made by the one and only Ken Sugimori:
    http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/art/sugimori/492s.png

You see?

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    To be quit Honest,I think there Horrible.
    Some of them are okay(There not the Greatest,But decent for Fakemon).
    But hey thats just my Opinion.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • To be quit Honest,I think there Horrible.
    Some of them are okay(There not the Greatest,But decent for Fakemon).
    But hey thats just my Opinion.

Well, most people use something called kind critique to express that.
    Most of them are old and like I said, I'm a beginner. Way to give encouragement...

You don't get better all the sudden, you practice, and that's what I'm doing. I came for critique, not "that's horrible" get it?... >_<"

Here's the legendary I was talking about.
    Spoiler:

I know that the tail's messed up. It's a little blocky near the end of the tail, before it splits. I dunno, the paths weren't happy! o_0"
    Good? No? Tell me!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I feel as if I should warn you before you read: I am an incredibly harsh critique. I don't give a damn about you wanting me to go easy on you; you won't learn anything if I do. So don't give me the crap you've been giving everyone else. However, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong. That said, feel free to read on. But don't expect any compliments until the very end.

Spoiler:

↑ My Review ↓ My Opinions

You are an okay artist. I like the smoothness of the lines and the way you color. What do you use?

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I feel as if I should warn you before you read: I am an incredibly harsh critique. I don't give a damn about you wanting me to go easy on you; you won't learn anything if I do. So don't give me the crap you've been giving everyone else. However, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong. That said, feel free to read on. But don't expect any compliments until the very end.

Spoiler:

↑ My Review ↓ My Opinions

You are an okay artist. I like the smoothness of the lines and the way you color. What do you use?

Thank you. No need to curse, though(but, whatever.. XD)

Well I'm not going to go through and correct everything you said wrong. I appreciate your critique, you were straight forward and honest.
    Yeah, you're right, it shouldn't be shaded there! D':

My lines, hmm? Well I learned this thing called paths on GIMP. It's like Photoshop's Pen Tool, I think. It's pretty hard at first, but after 1 day of using it, I got used to it! It makes the lines very smooth. I now color with the selection tool by checking "sample merged" turning off oll the layers but the lineart, and clicking on the inside, where you want to color. I keep pulling the threshold up as much as possible before the selection moves around the line, not in it. Then I use the Paintbrush tool on my color layer and fill. That's all.. then I shade and etc..

And yes, the spine is connected to it's head.
    The grass evos aren't based off any animal, so I can see it's hard to guess what those things are. They're actually leafy streamers, but I'm sure the gamers will get that, because it's called the Streamer Pokémon.

Thank you, any more questions?

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Nice.
    Well, I know that the old ones are way to sucky, but I don't need critique on them. Just the new ones. If that's what you think.. then fine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2010
    I have some points of critique too (if that's what you call it, I'm not English sorry), but most of it already has been called out by Shinjis. The only critique left is that your lines are a bit shabby. They're with a lot of bobbly things, ah you know what I mean xD. But I know how hard it is to make straight lines on the computer, especially if you're doing it with your mouse. Are you? 'Cause then it's pretty good. You do have interesting poses though, the evo's look different from eachother. The first one could use some more differences though. 3rd evo looks more like it could be the second.

Oh and I really like the last one! That one can have some compliments. (I'm talking about the legendary btw) Though the top of his left ear doesn't need shadow. Only the (for us) right side of the ear needs shadow. Unless it's flying in front of a fire or something but I don't think that's the case :p

Good luck with your sprites/sugimori! For a beginner you're pretty good.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I have some points of critique too (if that's what you call it, I'm not English sorry), but most of it already has been called out by Shinjis. The only critique left is that your lines are a bit shabby. They're with a lot of bobbly things, ah you know what I mean xD. But I know how hard it is to make straight lines on the computer, especially if you're doing it with your mouse. Are you? 'Cause then it's pretty good. You do have interesting poses though, the evo's look different from eachother. The first one could use some more differences though. 3rd evo looks more like it could be the second.

Oh and I really like the last one! That one can have some compliments. (I'm talking about the legendary btw) Though the top of his left ear doesn't need shadow. Only the (for us) right side of the ear needs shadow. Unless it's flying in front of a fire or something but I don't think that's the case :p

Good luck with your sprites/sugimori! For a beginner you're pretty good.

Like I said, I learned paths in the middle of that project, so the lines were wiggly. The shadow, I already know, Shinji said. But thank you.

Here's another:
    Spoiler:

Kind critique is appreciated!
    And I must apoligize to all the admins and other people out there for being so rude this week. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then don't worry. XD Thank you.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back