• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kitsukitty's Fakemon Sugimoris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofAnime

Now with 80% more awesome!
Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    For trying to imitate Sugimori's style, you have QUITE a bit of a trek yet. Your outlines are way too pronounced and thick and the coloring needs work too. Just comparing your work side by side with one of Sugimori's art will instantly bring up a huge clash in style. I'd say study it more and keep at practicing.

Personally I think too many people try to imitate his style and to me this gets old very fast. I like seeing style in people's work and if everyone is trying to imitate a single style, where's the fun in that? That's why I work in my current cell-shaded style; It's distinct and personal.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Well it's called a fakemon, so I'm trying my hand on it to see how I am on different styles. A bit of "trek?"

o_0

This isn't the only style I draw in. I just do it for the fakemon.

"Just comparing your work side by side with one of Sugimori's art will instantly bring up a huge clash in style."

Yup.. That's why I'm practicing... of course i know that.

I want to be a master of digital art, so I'm trying to imitate and experiment. Like said earlier, I have my own style but it's really not that great.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • I really like Tulup and Mayribbon and the little blue dude =] I think they're all very cute/

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • I don't know anything about the creation of fakemon, so I'm hardly the one you want a critique from. But hm. With the blue/cloudy one it is not quite clear what the cloud really is. There is no arm visible on the other side, so I assume there isn't one and it makes it look a bit strange, maybe you should clear that up a bit.

With bosail, the eye looks like it doesn't belong to the picture. I assume that's because you used the circle tool, am I right? It makes it look too neat compared to the rest of the lines.

Mayribbon's (my) right paw looks a bit strange, like it's not entirely attached to the body. I think this would be helped if you continued the line of the arm to make contact with the tuft of hair.

I'm not a fan of the last ones, the proportions seem all over the place. Overall I think you might want to experiment with the thickness of the lines a but. The lines are a bit too thick to get away with having no variation in thickness. You could also take the eraser tool and make the lines pointy where the stop.

KingofAnime

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    Well it's called a fakemon, so I'm trying my hand on it to see how I am on different styles. A bit of "trek?"

Perfectly fine, experimenting can lead to innovative breakthroughs at times. ON the other hand, it also might not work in your favor, so be mindful of that. And by trek, I meant journey.

This isn't the only style I draw in. I just do it for the fakemon.

Well since the fakemon are the only posted pics, I have no way of knowing. :(

I want to be a master of digital art, so I'm trying to imitate and experiment. Like said earlier, I have my own style but it's really not that great.

Like I previously stated, it is artistic nature to experiment and try out new things. Experimenting was how I happened upon my current style, and I'm hopeful it will help you happen upon yours. Fearing your own style isn't too great should only be incentive to build upon it and improve it.

The thing about artists is that they continue learning until the day they die...

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    hmmm well. i don't really see and problems with your style or how you;re drawing these. tbh whats REALLY getting me is the designs.

individually, they're pretty nice. together... they need work.
    TBH, you seem to have got it right with Mayribbons evo line and your absol pre-evo. what i'm getting at is that the evo lines besides these, as an entirely are pretty well. okay i'll be blunt.
    they're bland. they don't change much at all besides getting bigger and their eye design changing. Now, i KNOW evo lines look SIMILAR, but look at Pichu Pikachu and Raichu, for a good example. YES they're similar you can see they instantly come from the same family, but look how much they change BESIDES getting bigger! yeah, you've gotta see what i mean, right? you need to strip the preevos as somethign dull, tiny,little, basic. the basic physiology of what its GOING to be. lttle or few marktings denoting relatedness to the final form. they are basic!
    But then after this, add brand NEW parts to it that weren't there before, yes make it bigger, it's going to be stronger, right? but theres alot mroe you can do with somethign then making it bigger and more seriosus looking. I mean, yu kidna got it on the electic ones tail... don;t be afraid to do something unpredictable in an evo line. it will make it more interesting. i mena, look at trapinch and flygon? how different are they?

i hope you see what i mean and take soemhting away from this. what you have now is certainly showing promise, ALOT of promise. yu just need to not be afraid of soomething different and new. good luck!

Years
  • Wow i really like them! I'm sorry but im not good with Critque so i don't know what to say, but youve inspired me!
    I have one question though, is the game like...a game like the rest (Example, diamond, pearl, etc) If so could i help? Cause i really like spriting and stuff, oh, and if you dont mind is it ok if i make a couple ideas for fakemon? Then you could draw them, we can get equal credit. Im just asking, but anyways, your pretty good in my opinion!

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • hmmm well. i don't really see and problems with your style or how you;re drawing these. tbh whats REALLY getting me is the designs.

individually, they're pretty nice. together... they need work.
    TBH, you seem to have got it right with Mayribbons evo line and your absol pre-evo. what i'm getting at is that the evo lines besides these, as an entirely are pretty well. okay i'll be blunt.
    they're bland. they don't change much at all besides getting bigger and their eye design changing. Now, i KNOW evo lines look SIMILAR, but look at Pichu Pikachu and Raichu, for a good example. YES they're similar you can see they instantly come from the same family, but look how much they change BESIDES getting bigger! yeah, you've gotta see what i mean, right? you need to strip the preevos as somethign dull, tiny,little, basic. the basic physiology of what its GOING to be. lttle or few marktings denoting relatedness to the final form. they are basic!
    But then after this, add brand NEW parts to it that weren't there before, yes make it bigger, it's going to be stronger, right? but theres alot mroe you can do with somethign then making it bigger and more seriosus looking. I mean, yu kidna got it on the electic ones tail... don;t be afraid to do something unpredictable in an evo line. it will make it more interesting. i mena, look at trapinch and flygon? how different are they?

i hope you see what i mean and take soemhting away from this. what you have now is certainly showing promise, ALOT of promise. yu just need to not be afraid of soomething different and new. good luck!

ooh thank you. I'll certainly take that in! You've inspired me to work harder!

Wow i really like them! I'm sorry but im not good with Critque so i don't know what to say, but youve inspired me!
    I have one question though, is the game like...a game like the rest (Example, diamond, pearl, etc) If so could i help? Cause i really like spriting and stuff, oh, and if you dont mind is it ok if i make a couple ideas for fakemon? Then you could draw them, we can get equal credit. Im just asking, but anyways, your pretty good in my opinion!

Thanks!
    I usually don't do that, I like to get my ideas straight from.. myself.
    It's like the other games, nothing special.

Ok, So here's a new one and I'm so proud of it.
    Spoiler:

Tell me what you think in a KIND critque/voice, thanks.
    I must say that I've gotten so much better. Thanks to ShinjisLover, or whoever it was who said that my lines needed to get thinner. I followed that, and used my own sort of sugimori style instead of tutorials. And I got this!! ^^
    Thanks everybody!

KingofAnime

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    'twas I who suggested the thinner lines, and your work looks so much better for it. I see you also cleaned up your lines too.

I'd say experiment with this style for awhile and see where it takes you.

Years
  • Wow! That looks awesome.

Oh and no problem, im just really bored this week, and crap school starts tommarow T^T
    I hate school.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    eh well now THAT.
    THAT is an improvement! a HUGE one considering the timescale too <3~ *thoroghly impressed*
    just out of interest, are those eyes on its forhead and tail?

<3 and maybe tell us the type? 'w'?
    I really liek this one's design, you certainly outdid yourself. it's very interesting~<3!
    super work~ keep it up! 8D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Wow these are great! Only problem is that the evolved forms just look like grown up versions... Still great maybe add more features to the evols?

ooh thank you. I'll certainly take that in! You've inspired me to work harder!

Thanks!
    I usually don't do that, I like to get my ideas straight from.. myself.
    It's like the other games, nothing special.

Ok, So here's a new one and I'm so proud of it.
    Spoiler:

Tell me what you think in a KIND critque/voice, thanks.
    I must say that I've gotten so much better. Thanks to ShinjisLover, or whoever it was who said that my lines needed to get thinner. I followed that, and used my own sort of sugimori style instead of tutorials. And I got this!! ^^
    Thanks everybody!
    OMG THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! this is utterly amazing! i like the tail the best!

Last edited:

dark charmander

Gaara...
    Years
  • very good i love them. nice job on the shading ;)
    did u come up with the designs? if so brilliant i love the imagination and effort that has been put into them
    keep up the good work

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • 'twas I who suggested the thinner lines, and your work looks so much better for it. I see you also cleaned up your lines too.

I'd say experiment with this style for awhile and see where it takes you.

XD
    Thank you. I certaintly will.

Wow! That looks awesome.

Oh and no problem, im just really bored this week, and crap school starts tommarow T^T
    I hate school.

If you still want to sign up as a designer, follow the sign-up instructions here.

eh well now THAT.
    THAT is an improvement! a HUGE one considering the timescale too <3~ *thoroghly impressed*
    just out of interest, are those eyes on its forhead and tail?

<3 and maybe tell us the type? 'w'?
    I really liek this one's design, you certainly outdid yourself. it's very interesting~<3!
    super work~ keep it up! 8D

no no no, people don't seem to get this. Those are gems. I'm not really sure what they do, but I'm planning on learning a bit of Item scripting so that in the game the Pokémon will have the gem and it'll induce an illusion on the foe, reducing accuracy or something. It's based off a kitsune and tanuki, so it's sortof like a racoon and has closed-ish eyes like a kitsune.

Wow these are great! Only problem is that the evolved forms just look like grown up versions... Still great maybe add more features to the evols?

*new art*

OMG THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! this is utterly amazing! i like the tail the best!

Thank you. Yea, I love the tail too! XD I've gotten that multiple times just from deviantart. Some person asked me to make a picture of their fakemon(which was actually annoying), and just today someone wanted to use it in a youtube video. And of course, that won't happen.

very good i love them. nice job on the shading ;)
    did u come up with the designs? if so brilliant i love the imagination and effort that has been put into them
    keep up the good work

Of course. I almost never draw other designs. Thank you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back