• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Korean Mew & Celebi events

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I don't know the language to find much easily. Does anyone have solid info on whether Nintendo distributed Mew and Celebi to Gold and Silver in South Korea?
    It seems to me like they were unobtainable with a legit Korean nickname this gen...

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
    I don't know the language to find much easily. Does anyone have solid info on whether Nintendo distributed Mew and Celebi to Gold and Silver in South Korea?
    It seems to me like they were unobtainable with a legit Korean nickname this gen...

Based off the information on this website, it doesn't look like Nintendo was holding events in South Korea during the time the generation 1 & 2 games were popular. A Google search also yielded no information suggesting there were Pokémon events in South Korea until later generations. Celebi & Mew have been given away in South Korea, but not until generation 4's Heart Gold & Soul Silver games.

Due to the rocky history between Japan and (South) Korea, Japanese cultural imports—such as manga, anime, video games, music and movies—were banned by the South Korean government after Korean Independence at the end of World War II. This ban would be in effect throughout most of the 80s and 90s, particularly when video game consoles began to grow in popularity in Japan and the West. Pokémon was of no exception; almost all Pokémon-related media of its time would never officially make its way into South Korea. This included all of the first generation games; if anything Pokémon-related appeared in Korea, it was either a bootleg, a rip-off or a pirated version. Eventually, South Korean and Japanese relations had warmed up to the point where the South Korean government's ban on Japanese cultural imports was partially lifted in October 1998. This in turn finally allowed for the release of some Pokémon titles into South Korea. The first Korean-language main series game would be Pokémon Gold and Silver, which saw a release in April 2002; its delay may have been due to the difficulty of including the Korean language writing system in it. On the other hand, neither Pokémon Crystal nor the third generation games would see a release in South Korea, most likely for the same difficulties involved in a Korean translation. Finally in January 2004, the South Korean government completely lifted its ban on Japanese cultural imports. This allowed Nintendo to officially operate in South Korea as Nintendo of Korea, Inc.

Because of this, local events have only been occurring often in South Korea since the release of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (February 2008 for Korea).

Last edited:

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Hmm. I guess my intuition wasn't far off...

Generation IV was the first to be officially released in South Korea, therefore no.

Hope this helps. :)

Well I don't know much in detail about who translated Gold and SIlver or how/why. The actual programming was likely at Game Freak.
    Without a full Korean subsidiary, Nintendo would've had a business partner help out.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
    Hmm. I guess my intuition wasn't far off...

Well I don't know much in detail about who translated Gold and SIlver or how/why. The actual programming was likely at Game Freak.
    Without a full Korean subsidiary, Nintendo would've had a business partner help out.

I explained it in full detail.

• Green, Red, Blue, and Yellow were NOT released in South Korea
    • Gold & Silver WERE released in South Korea by Nintendo of Korea, Inc.
    • Crystal was NOT released in South Korea
    • Fire Red, Leaf Green, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were NOT released in South Korea
    • Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver and everything beyond WAS released in South Korea
    • There were no Nintendo/Pokémon events held in South Korea until Gen 4
    • Mew and Celebi have not been given away to players with Gold/Silver games at Pokémon events in South Korea

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Thanks. Just to see what happens for myself, I can verify in an emulator that trading Mew and Celebi from western games is possible. (tested English Crystal to Korean Gold)

Back