• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Lavender Town Rumor

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
Years
  • So, during R/B/Y you fight Blue in the Pokemon Tower. His Starter depends on yours and he also has Pigeotto, Kadabra, Execcute, and Gyarados in Red and Blue. in Yellow, he has Fearow, Sandshrew, Eevee, Magnimite, and another Pokemon depending on what his Eevee with evolve into. So on to the point, the fight before this on the SS. Anne, he had a Raticate in his party and it mysteriously disappeared in-between these fights. He never explains what he's doing at the Pokemon tower, so some players have come to the conclusion that during the fight on the SS. Anne that the player character kills his Raticate instead of fainting it. I want to know what you think happened.

I would talk about BuriedAlive and White Hand, but they are proven false and I'm sure you've already heard of them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I personally think he realized how crappy Raticate is and put it in the PC. It's implied he caught and trained other Pokemon in order to figure out which Pokemon would make a good, balanced team, so I imagine that in between battles, he raised Pokemon that we never fight and didn't like them, and stored them. Plus, he's obviously working on the Pokedex more than we are. Didn't he have 40 Pokemon before 40 Pokemon can even be caught at a certain point? Hmm.

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I personally think he realized how crappy Raticate is and put it in the PC. It's implied he caught and trained other Pokemon in order to figure out which Pokemon would make a good, balanced team, so I imagine that in between battles, he raised Pokemon that we never fight and didn't like them, and stored them. Plus, he's obviously working on the Pokedex more than we are. Didn't he have 40 Pokemon before 40 Pokemon can even be caught at a certain point? Hmm.
    Very true. I can't back this up 100% right now, but I don't think his team changes much for the rest of the game.
    EDIT: I looked it up. Aside from gaining a Rhydon, his team does not change at all.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That means he made one of those beginner mistakes by having a Raticate. :P Also, maybe he beat up his Raticate and it died. Remember, he never really cared for his Pokemon, so...idk. Then again, giving it a grave seems to be caring...or maybe he didn't want Pokemon Protective Services getting him so it's a cover up. I'm just making things up at this point.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Very true. I can't back this up 100% right now, but I don't think his team changes much for the rest of the game.
    EDIT: I looked it up. Aside from gaining a Rhydon, his team does not change at all.
    In Yellow he loses Fearow and Rattata. I know Yellow is a special version, but still, the theory falls flat in that game.

Also, on Red/Green/Blue, his Raticate is at level 16, 4 levels earlier than it usually evolves. Maybe it died of a overdosed on steroids or something? I mean, that's equally as likely as the supposed story that his Raticate 'died'.

Also, didn't he go to the Pokemon Tower to catch a Cubone?

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Looking at the evidence:

Well, with the 40 Pokemon, he could have traded with others. About the Raticate, I'm guessing due to the amount of better Pokemon he had, he had probably switched them as stated above. However, when the Player finds him in the Pokemon Tower he is seen looking at a... You know what, which means that if his Raticate indeed DID die, that would probably... Well you know what.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    The only thing I found wrong with the Raticate's Death rumour is, if it died from sustained injuries during the battle, what about the other pokémon he had on him?
    They fought and lost too, how come they survived.

But in all fairness like sydian said, he claimed to be trying pokémon out and getting a good team, so he may have realised Raticate is not the way forward and depo'd it in a PC.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Or... Maybe the dev team thought Raticate wouldn't be a strong enough Pokemon for the rival later on, and scrapped it thinking no one would really notice/care? Seems to be the most realistic cause.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • It's interesting that Blue said something "Hey! What brings you here? Your Pokemon don't look dead!" when you encounter him.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    It's interesting that Blue said something "Hey! What brings you here? Your Pokemon don't look dead!" when you encounter him.

It's also intresting that Blue said something like ''I've been catching pokémon and trying to get a good team. I've caught over 40 kinds of pokemon.''

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • That proves Gary's Raticate could have died.
    Well not really, because as Nintendork said, he also claimed to have over 40 kinds of Pokemon. This not only means that Blue was capable of using Bill's PC system (he only has 4 Pokemon with him in the S.S. Anne match, and bearing in mind he actually mentions Bill earlier in the storyline by the Nugget Bridge) but also that he could easily have substituted his Raticate for another one of his caught Pokemon (as Nintendork also mentioned, Blue states that he has been trying to get a good team together).

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Well not really, because as Nintendork said, he also claimed to have over 40 kinds of Pokemon. This not only means that Gary was capable of using Bill's PC system (he only has 4 Pokemon with him in the S.S. Anne match, and bearing in mind he actually mentions Bill earlier in the storyline by the Nugget Bridge) but also that he could easily have substituted his Raticate for another one of his caught Pokemon (as Nintendork also mentioned, Blue states that he has been trying to get a good team together).

Never have I been referred to in a post so many times in my life.

But yeah, there are things that hint towards a death, but in the same breath there are more things that hint towards what every other trainer does which is catch and try out, and if it doesn't suit em the dump em in the Pc or Release them.

Back