• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] legallity

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Ok, so i'm making a pokemon clone in flash. I am using as3 for this with nodejs.
    My question is, as long as the "pokemon" aren't pokemon (self designed monsters) and i use tiles from here with the creators mentioned, can nintendo shut me down for using graphics (overworld) that look like theirs?

example:
    dikkemon.dikke.org/index.swf -> overworld
    dikkemon.dikke.org/character.swf -> monsters

By no means is this finished, it's basicly a progression project for me to learn to draw in flash, and learn coding in as3.

Thanks in advance for the reactions {:3}

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2015
    Disregard my question. Going for the save route and create all graphics myself.
    Thanks for your time.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2023
    aren't non commercial fan games legal?

Pokemon is a registered trademark by Nintendo. As soon as you staple that on your game, it becomes "illegal" so to speak. But it's also worth considering the chances that they will actually care about your fan game enough to require that you shut it down, which is why not a whole lot of people have received cease and desist letters.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Cease and Desist letters from Nintendo generally find their way to games that have been mass marketed and present more up to date official content.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2014
    I thought fan games are legal as long as you dont make money from it. Also it think you can stand up aganst a Cease and Desist because video games are a form of art would also depend on your country i guess.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen May 10, 2022
    It all boils down to IPs. Generally, cease and desist letters only appear when someone is making money off of someone else's IP or if the fan content is becoming more popular than the main series and threatens the owner's revenue. There are also a few cases where IPs can be used (such as education), although selling someone else's IP is never legal.

As long as you don't sell your fan game or become big enough to threaten the world's largest video game company (by revenue), then you'll be fine.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    If you highly promote your game, and it makes...questionable use of the IP in question you can and may well receive a C&D order for a non-commercial title - Like if you wanted to make a My Little Pony fighting game (Which was and did receive a C&D rofl)

Back