• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendary Vs. Normal

Lunar6000

Master Trainer
    Years
    Alright I know all about EV.. and stuff because I was looking at it on gamefaqs, but what I dont know is are legendary 100% better than regular Pokemon or does it all balance out depending on how you raise everything. The guy was going to post a exception to the rule on Legendary Pokemon but he never completed that section of the faq. Can someone fill me in on this?

Fl0W:HHGURU

Used to be pokEMOn UseR =]
    Years
    If you train a regular pokemon following special EV guidence on how you want your pokemon to be then this pokemon will be twice as strong as any legendary. You can raise it from a vary small level and specifcally choose which stat you want to work on, whereas a level 70 rayquaza already has most of its EVs done for it.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That isn't entirely true. Any time you catch or hatch a Pokemon, it starts with 0 EV. So, you can still EV train your Legendary/Uber and it will still be more powerful than a carefully trained normal Poke at the same level. The real difference is that through proper breeding, you can maximize three IV stats and hope to get lucky in 3 others, to give your normal Poke a good IV set. In contrast, Legendaries/Ubers IVs are set when you catch them and you cannot improve them. For instance, I have a Kyogre with 10/30/0/25/30/20 IVs (not bad even though the 30 Atk IVs are wasted) and a Latias with 20/0/0/0/0/5 IVs. Sucks. In comparison, I bred my Tyranitar to have 26/31/28/19/31/31 IVs. That took me EIGHT Pupitar generations and a lot of turning off my GBA when my baby hatched with lower Lv5 IVs. It was well worth it though. My sons and their friends tend to favor Legendaries/Ubers so it is nice to have a normal (albeit OU, which is one step below Legendary, but still not Legendary) Poke destroy Lv100 Mewtwos, all Legi/Uber birds not called Lugia, Groudons, and an occasional Kyogre.

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    I think normal pokemon are better than legendaries.
    mainly because well it's true that most legends do have better
    base stats than regular pokemon. the fact that you can only
    catch 1 means that u could get stuck with horrible IV's.
    whereas with normal pokemon most can breed so with a bit of patience
    and proper training they can become spectacular.

Years
    This is too wide for just this forum. I'm going to put this in General Games Discussion.
    Oh, I like "normal" pokémon better than legendaries. They are definately more fun to raise!
    ~MOVED~

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
    I don't see the point in legendaries. They're pretty weak, hard to raise, and are easy to see coming. Example:

Last summer I went to this camp, and I battled my Sapphire team (consisting of Swampert, Altaria, Blaziken, Sceptile, Wigglytuff, and Venusaur) against this overconfident guy's team (Jirachi, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, and Ho-Oh). Obviously, he cheated to get them, but I STILL beat him. I took no pride in this because he had to rely on legendaries.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    It really depends. Sure, most people experienced won't rely on legendaries, and on NetBattle most people who use legendaries tend to be very bad.
    Who gives physical moves to Kyogre?

However, sometimes there are people who are very good, so it's hard to wrap up the use of legendaries.

Oh, and Registeel and Regice are pretty good in lv.50 battles, so it's really hard to say if they are "weak" or "Strong". Regirock? Nah.

Shining Salamence

Master of all things cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2011
    well, I haven't once used the L45 Kyogre sitting in my box in sapphire at the moment, and I've pwned with normal pokemon. If you actually take the time to search for pokemon that are rare and seemingly weak in their first evolution, they evolve to be very powerful. Especially rare finds like Dratini, Larvitar and Bagon, who I consider to be the top 3 best pokemon ever.

Back